Good laptop

longtimeblue

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting a laptop at the end of the month and have no idea what I'm looking for, Just need it for general email/browsing/poker/iplayer/a few tunes etc

I have about £350 - £400 absolute max to spend - does anybody know a good model and where it's on offer, any help appreciated

Cheers

If you buy it online from Comet, as well as using the Top Cashback thing, don't forget to enter code 'AWJAN5' to get 5% off on or before 15th Jan.

Had an Acer for nearly 2 years, has that Vista thingy on and has been spot on (touching wood as i type!!)

In typical Homer "Lemming" Simpson Stylee I've just clicked on the link O4u and am hoping for significant discounts for Royton cars, local ruby houses and the odd pressie for the the future Mrs Briefs!!! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed that Top Cashback are paying 50p towards the Haiti Earthquake appeal fund for any new sign-ups made on or before 29th January.

As and when the £1 payments to me come along from the spending you guys in the posts above do, I'll make sure they get added to the Haiti fund with Gift Aid too and match the amount.

If anybody else wants to get a few extra quid for themselves when shopping online, and also wants to get a modest amount of money across to those who need it (without it costing them a penny) here's the details:

my TopCashback Linky!

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/opinions4u

(Alternatively if you don't give a toss about the loyalty site but want to give to the Haiti fund then click here for the DEC site)

Edited by opinions4u

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

SInce i last looked at this thread i have treated myself to a MacBook Pro. Call me a fanboy, call me gay, i dont care. I feckin love it, it really is worth the extra money. Garageband has to be the best thing i have ever arsed about with (and believe me, with my guitar skills it really is just arsing about). 5 stars. Recommended. Big thumbs up.

P.S. Bill Gates eats babies..........

Edited by BlueJazzer

• 1 year later...

Need a new laptop (really can't afford it but this one's not long for this world), don't need anything fancy, only use it for internet/music/photos, is Acer still my best bet? There's an Aspire 5349 (6GB RAM, 500GB hard drive) for £344 on the NHS discounts site, is that a good deal?

Need a new laptop (really can't afford it but this one's not long for this world), don't need anything fancy, only use it for internet/music/photos, is Acer still my best bet? There's an Aspire 5349 (6GB RAM, 500GB hard drive) for £344 on the NHS discounts site, is that a good deal?

All right, but only a fiver cheaper than Argos.

o4u - you're looking at the 4gb RAM version.

This might be worth a look. Looks like you can get £75 cashback for trading in you're old lappy. Having said that, my only experience of a Toshiba laptop (a long time ago) was not a good one.

This might be worth a look. Looks like you can get £75 cashback for trading in you're old lappy. Having said that, my only experience of a Toshiba laptop (a long time ago) was not a good one.

Also be very cautious about trading in old hard disks... nothing is ever truly deleted.

Cheers for the advice everyone - the 750GB version o4u posted up is £350 in Argos, fingers crossed they keep it on offer until after my next credit card bill. Doesn't look like i'll be able to trade my old one in - requested a few quotes but apparently no-one will pay anything for it if the CD drive, sound card and battery are all faulty. Ah well.

Cheers for the advice everyone - the 750GB version o4u posted up is £350 in Argos, fingers crossed they keep it on offer until after my next credit card bill. Doesn't look like i'll be able to trade my old one in - requested a few quotes but apparently no-one will pay anything for it if the CD drive, sound card and battery are all faulty. Ah well.

You might be able to flog the battery charger, my battery on my old Toshiba was dodgy but when my charger went I was up a creek

• 2 weeks later...

Went for the Acer laptop. Not the best £350 i've ever spent. The internet connection's noticeably slower than on my old broken laptop. Tried installing updates, checking the drivers, turning off unnecessary startup programs, running CCleaner, running a hard disk check, defragging and unplugging the router for a bit, nothing's worked.

• 4 weeks later...

Still having problems with slow internet connection on my new laptop. Done all the usual (deleted any unused programs,ran CCleaner,unplugged router etc). Done loads of line speed tests (through the normal socket and test socket, with wired and wireless connection, peak and off peak times) and they've all come back fine. Spoke to Virginmedia and there's definitely no problem with the line, problem seems to be between the laptop and the router. One of their helpdesk people remotely accessed it and tinkered with the router settings (don't know what exactly he did, sorry) which improved it a little bit, but i couldn't connect to the internet when i moved the laptop into the kitchen last night (the walls are solid brick but it's still only about 10-15 yards from the router). I'm guessing the router settings need adjusting but i wouldn't have a clue how. Can anyone suggest anything?

(The only security software i'm running on it is Microsoft Security Essentials btw, which is supposed to be one of the least intrusive ones)

Still having problems with slow internet connection on my new laptop. Done all the usual (deleted any unused programs,ran CCleaner,unplugged router etc). Done loads of line speed tests (through the normal socket and test socket, with wired and wireless connection, peak and off peak times) and they've all come back fine. Spoke to Virginmedia and there's definitely no problem with the line, problem seems to be between the laptop and the router. One of their helpdesk people remotely accessed it and tinkered with the router settings (don't know what exactly he did, sorry) which improved it a little bit, but i couldn't connect to the internet when i moved the laptop into the kitchen last night (the walls are solid brick but it's still only about 10-15 yards from the router). I'm guessing the router settings need adjusting but i wouldn't have a clue how. Can anyone suggest anything?

(The only security software i'm running on it is Microsoft Security Essentials btw, which is supposed to be one of the least intrusive ones)

If you've got the new Virgin superhub, there's a pinhole reset button. Try that, it'll reset the hub and may automatically move onto another channel.