#41 Stevie_J

Stevie_J

Bobby Johnstone

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,684 posts
  • Team:Oldham Athletic

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

Need a new laptop (really can't afford it but this one's not long for this world), don't need anything fancy, only use it for internet/music/photos, is Acer still my best bet? There's an Aspire 5349 (6GB RAM, 500GB hard drive) for 344 on the NHS discounts site, is that a good deal?

All right, but only a fiver cheaper than Argos.

o4u - you're looking at the 4gb RAM version.

Click on the PayPal button and please donate whatever you can to keep OWTB up and running, thanks - OWTB Admin Team

#42 opinions4u

opinions4u

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,721 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

All right, but only a fiver cheaper than Argos.

o4u - you're looking at the 4gb RAM version.

Meh - ah well, I tried!

Asdda do a 6GB / 750GB version for 357 ...

http://www.spendandr...shop/retailers/

(No idea if that's any good or not ... I'm out!)
Shop online via the PlayerShare WebShop link below and Latics benefit:

http://www.easyfundr...ticsplayershare

#43 Stevie_J

Stevie_J

Bobby Johnstone

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,684 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

Need a new laptop (really can't afford it but this one's not long for this world), don't need anything fancy, only use it for internet/music/photos, is Acer still my best bet? There's an Aspire 5349 (6GB RAM, 500GB hard drive) for £344 on the NHS discounts site, is that a good deal?

This might be worth a look. Looks like you can get £75 cashback for trading in you're old lappy. Having said that, my only experience of a Toshiba laptop (a long time ago) was not a good one.

Click on the PayPal button and please donate whatever you can to keep OWTB up and running, thanks - OWTB Admin Team

#44 Ackey

Ackey

Neil Adams

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,146 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

This might be worth a look. Looks like you can get 75 cashback for trading in you're old lappy. Having said that, my only experience of a Toshiba laptop (a long time ago) was not a good one.

Also be very cautious about trading in old hard disks... nothing is ever truly deleted.

#45 rosa

rosa

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Cheers for the advice everyone - the 750GB version o4u posted up is 350 in Argos, fingers crossed they keep it on offer until after my next credit card bill. Doesn't look like i'll be able to trade my old one in - requested a few quotes but apparently no-one will pay anything for it if the CD drive, sound card and battery are all faulty. Ah well.

rosavoiceofreason_zps802557c9.jpg

#46 rudemedic

rudemedic

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,437 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

Cheers for the advice everyone - the 750GB version o4u posted up is 350 in Argos, fingers crossed they keep it on offer until after my next credit card bill. Doesn't look like i'll be able to trade my old one in - requested a few quotes but apparently no-one will pay anything for it if the CD drive, sound card and battery are all faulty. Ah well.

You might be able to flog the battery charger, my battery on my old Toshiba was dodgy but when my charger went I was up a creek
"Cavete mens ludos"

"If all else fails- Monocle smile" - The old Spice guy

"Rudemedic is right" Stevie J 19/6/13 

"A man must have a code." Bunk, the Wire

"Who rigs every Oscar night, We do" The Stonecutters, The Simpsons

#47 rosa

rosa

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Went for the Acer laptop. Not the best 350 i've ever spent. The internet connection's noticeably slower than on my old broken laptop. Tried installing updates, checking the drivers, turning off unnecessary startup programs, running CCleaner, running a hard disk check, defragging and unplugging the router for a bit, nothing's worked.

#48 Lookers_Carl

Lookers_Carl

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Also be very cautious about trading in old hard disks... nothing is ever truly deleted.

What Ackey said, even a full format and reinstallation of the OS doesn't fully delete the disc.
Its not about how hard you can hit, but how much you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thats how winning is done.

Sly Stallone in Rocky Balboa (2006)

#49 rosa

rosa

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

Still having problems with slow internet connection on my new laptop. Done all the usual (deleted any unused programs,ran CCleaner,unplugged router etc). Done loads of line speed tests (through the normal socket and test socket, with wired and wireless connection, peak and off peak times) and they've all come back fine. Spoke to Virginmedia and there's definitely no problem with the line, problem seems to be between the laptop and the router. One of their helpdesk people remotely accessed it and tinkered with the router settings (don't know what exactly he did, sorry) which improved it a little bit, but i couldn't connect to the internet when i moved the laptop into the kitchen last night (the walls are solid brick but it's still only about 10-15 yards from the router). I'm guessing the router settings need adjusting but i wouldn't have a clue how. Can anyone suggest anything?

(The only security software i'm running on it is Microsoft Security Essentials btw, which is supposed to be one of the least intrusive ones)

#50 opinions4u

opinions4u

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,721 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

Have you tried going wireless in any other locations? Neighbour's house etc?

#51 oafcprozac

oafcprozac

John Sheridan

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Still having problems with slow internet connection on my new laptop. Done all the usual (deleted any unused programs,ran CCleaner,unplugged router etc). Done loads of line speed tests (through the normal socket and test socket, with wired and wireless connection, peak and off peak times) and they've all come back fine. Spoke to Virginmedia and there's definitely no problem with the line, problem seems to be between the laptop and the router. One of their helpdesk people remotely accessed it and tinkered with the router settings (don't know what exactly he did, sorry) which improved it a little bit, but i couldn't connect to the internet when i moved the laptop into the kitchen last night (the walls are solid brick but it's still only about 10-15 yards from the router). I'm guessing the router settings need adjusting but i wouldn't have a clue how. Can anyone suggest anything?

(The only security software i'm running on it is Microsoft Security Essentials btw, which is supposed to be one of the least intrusive ones)

If you've got the new Virgin superhub, there's a pinhole reset button. Try that, it'll reset the hub and may automatically move onto another channel.

7dmv.jpg

#52 rosa

rosa

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

If you've got the new Virgin superhub, there's a pinhole reset button. Try that, it'll reset the hub and may automatically move onto another channel.

No, it's a Netgear router. I've tried logging onto the settings and moving to another channel but that doesn't seem to have improved it. It's not unusably slow, it's just really annoying that i've spent money i really couldn't afford on a new laptop and it's noticeably slower than the old one. And obviously it's a pain in the arse when i can't connect to the internet 10 yards away from the router.

#53 opinions4u

opinions4u

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,721 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

I've got a spare router somewhere if you want to try that.

Who's the ISP?

#54 rosa

rosa

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

I've got a spare router somewhere if you want to try that.

Who's the ISP?

Cheers mate, i think i've got a spare router myself, i might try that if i have to. ISP's Virginmedia, they've been pretty helpful, accessed my laptop remotely a couple of times, didn't find any faults and tweaked the router settings. I've switched off the power-saving mode on the wireless drivers and that seems to have helped a bit, just streamed the 11-minute video of Saints 75 Wigan 0 (well it is Good Friday :) ) and it only buffered once. It'll probably kill itself again as soon as i try to stream anything on the iPlayer though.

Interestingly the sites it takes longest to load are these boards and the Chronicle website, i can't help wondering if the computer's trying to tell me something.