HallamBlue

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts
  • Team:Oldham Athletic

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:29 AM

HELP surrender.gif

Getting BT Infinity on Thursday so hope the 0.94 meg is a thing of past on a long link to exchange so the 40 meg becomes lower tested and likely to be 18 meg.

At moment have Homehub 2 replacing with Infinity Homehub as fibre optic enabled.

BUT have a master phone socket in loft this feeds alarm data caller, hub in hall and branches out viat Cat5e Ethernet to main PC and gaming set up.

Question is how do I BEST SET up the laptop ?

Do I run an extra ethernet cable to back of lounge and plug in?

Is the wireless capability going to be good enough wireless 802 n?? never understood wireless properly.

READ up about powerline adaptors which suggests you can use the power sockets as a STEADY option plug one in near hub and one in near pc then link with ethernet cable. Suggests this is a Gigabyte link NETGEAR. Speeds again mean nothing.

ANY and ALL advice welcome. Sorry if any daft questions in there but although ok with IT in general networking baffles me.

Wanted for general internet stuff, rather than media as happy with Sky although do have a media pc that could link to plasma tv.

Thanks for ANY help.

Via the PlayerShare WebShop link of course!
http://www.spendandr...o.php?rb=3-1861

#2 rummytheowl

rummytheowl

Toddy Orlygsson

• IT Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts
  • Team:AFC Wimbledon

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (HallamBlue @ Aug 11 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question is how do I BEST SET up the laptop ?

I find that opening the lid first helps a great deal. Then power on. The rest just "happens" so to speak. It's like magic.

Click on the PayPal button and please donate whatever you can to keep OWTB up and running, thanks - OWTB Admin Team

#3 HallamBlue

HallamBlue

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (rummytheowl @ Aug 11 2010, 16:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find that opening the lid first helps a great deal. Then power on. The rest just "happens" so to speak. It's like magic.

Smartarse.... where is the button then? wink.gif

alternatively you aint got a clue / cant be arsed but as a techie type thought you should offer some advice? blink.gif

#4 rummytheowl

rummytheowl

Toddy Orlygsson

• IT Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts
  • Team:AFC Wimbledon

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

Okay, I've got a Wii thru wifi, PC hardwired and laptop thru wifi too, all on the top Sky tariff running through the netgear router and I've never had any trouble with it. Unlike the ntl/Virgin package I had, which was shite.

What I've done is hardwire me bigbox PC to the router and everything else spurs off it as wireless connections. No probs.

Click on the PayPal button and please donate whatever you can to keep OWTB up and running, thanks - OWTB Admin Team

#5 HallamBlue

HallamBlue

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

Cheers Rummy sounds like hardwiring the PC - next to tv the plan and experiment with settings on wireless if it is shite run a cable under floor to back of where I usually use the laptop.

#6 HallamBlue

HallamBlue

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

Argh you see you can mock Saddleworth and all that Yarkshire crap, but the BT Broadband working at 36.4 Mb more than twice what was expected. Due to overhead cables being replaced in 2005 so now a very short run of copper. Uploading at 7.1 Mb so very happy. The laptop very quick on wireless too at 130Mbps.