Super League & The Roughyeds

Don't blame you tbh, should be a good day out for the hardy band of diehards remaining, and dare I say a fair few using it as an excuse or a day out and a monumental pissup...

Yes, I would expect around a thousand from us will make the trip down, a lot will be taking friends for this one and some will come back for the trip.

The die hard fan base has dropped from a good 800+ to around 500+ now which is mainly due to people giving up with Hamilton. I heard from somebody we have the highest admission prices in the league, when you look at where we're playing that is just unacceptable.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I would expect around a thousand from us will make the trip down, a lot will be taking friends for this one and some will come back for the trip.

The die hard fan base has dropped from a good 800+ to around 500+ now which is mainly due to people giving up with Hamilton. I heard from somebody we have the highest admission prices in the league, when you look at where we're playing that is just unacceptable.

I used to follow Oldham home and away mate, never termed myself as a diehard as Latics and Football has always been number 1 in my sporting interests, but I was a keen supporter and had some great days and nights at 'Sheddings. What happened was a travesty and I can see so many parallels to what is happening at BP. When the club was reformed I gave it a go but it simply wasn't the same, that and the fact my ex worked for the fledgling, reformed club and no one works or puts up with Hamilton long, he's a :censored: of the highest order, I was losing interest anyway but that was the final straw. I'm more of a well-wisher from afar now, although I usually take in a couple of games per season. Normally when my son is playing in curtain raisers etc…My RL loyalties now lie with St. Helens, why Saints? The local links with Tommy Martyn and Chris Joynt at the time being former Oldham Players and of course Scully and Kyle being from Oldham, and I've always been a massive Sean Long fan. I could never see myself following Salford or the Goons, and definitely not a Yorkshire club and found myself taking more and more of an interest into events at Knowsley Road. (And it's virtually Scouseland and my roots are in Liverpool.)

I agree with the high admission prices, especially when for a couple of quid more you can watch SL Rugby, but it's a chicken and egg situation similar to the issues we have at BP….if only the council could deliver a dual-purpose stadium, then i'm sure it would rekindle the interest of so many within this town. The Rugby League population is still here, but most just go out of town to get their fix, follow from afar or watch grass-roots..such a shame that a RL hotbed and producer of so many fine players has their RL club struggling part-time in the third tier….

Edited by oafcprozac

I used to follow Oldham home and away mate, never termed myself as a diehard as Latics and Football has always been number 1 in my sporting interests, but I was a keen supporter and had some great days and nights at 'Sheddings. What happened was a travesty and I can see so many parallels to what is happening at BP. When the club was reformed I gave it a go but it simply wasn't the same, that and the fact my ex worked for the fledgling, reformed club and no one works or puts up with Hamilton long, he's a :censored: of the highest order, I was losing interest anyway but that was the final straw. I'm more of a well-wisher from afar now, although I usually take in a couple of games per season. Normally when my son is playing in curtain raisers etc…My RL loyalties now lie with St. Helens, why Saints? The local links with Tommy Martyn and Chris Joynt at the time being former Oldham Players and of course Scully and Kyle being from Oldham, nd I've aleays been a massive Sean Long fan. I could never see myself following Salford or the Goons, and definitely not a Yorkshire club and found myself taking more and more of an interest into events at Knowsley Road. (And it's virtually Scouseland and my roots are in Liverpool.)

I agree with the high admission prices, especially when for a couple of quid more you can watch SL Rugby, but it's a chicken and egg situation similar to the issues we have at BP….if only the council could deliver a dual-purpose stadium, then i'm sure it would rekindle the interest of so many within this town. The Rugby League population is still here, nut most just go out of town to get their fix, follow from afar or watch grass-roots..such a shame that such a RL clubhotbed and producer of so many fine players has their RL struggling part-time in the third tier….

Couldn't agree more, the council have killed sport in this town. We were once a big club with the likes of Wigan and Leeds but due to the council not giving two :censored:s about Rugby or Football they both dwindling in the lower tiers. You only have to look at Wigan and Hull, football and rugby both sharing stadium and both doing well in good leagues. I honestly believe if the whole Sports Park 2000 had of come through we could be doing the same as Wigan and Hull, the council obviously fail to see what is needed and couldn't care less about us.

The high admission prices don't make sense for Oldham RL, last season crows at Whitebank where around 800-900, 900 paying £8 is £7200, while 500 paying £12 is £6000. Hamilton has no business what so ever and is slowly killing our club completely, he scared Quinn off who was our only chance taking the club forward.

did anyone see the Wigan v Saints game today? It was breathtaking, shame Wigan won but it was drama right to the end

I was at the Pie-Dome mate, absolutely gutted, Wellens and Wheeler nobbled and a bloody forward pass got them back in the game before half-time, then against the odds we sneak in front before succumbing to back to back to back sets on our line. What a fantastic advert for Rugby league though and the Roughyeds beat Inbreds too...

Yesterdays turn out was 566. About 300 down on last season :D

I tried in the early 80's to go to sheddings but the vitriolic attitude to Latics from those Oldham rugby fans really shocked me.

Since they they have got back the same.

And the attendance on Good Friday against local rivals Rochdale was

876 :shock::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was at the Pie-Dome mate, absolutely gutted, Wellens and Wheeler nobbled and a bloody forward pass got them back in the game before half-time, then against the odds we sneak in front before succumbing to back to back to back sets on our line. What a fantastic advert for Rugby league though and the Roughyeds beat Inbreds too...

The tackle on Wheeler was a disgrace, looked like a deliberate attempt to take him out of the game. Typical f**king Wigan. Not that i'm bitter or anything.

Oh well, at least Oldham have beat Rochdale at something this year.

The attendance yesterday was entirely expected, Rochdale have no fans and so it was up from previous weeks anyway.

The game was fantastic, much improved from the boys and new signing Forber had a good game, took the pressure off Roden which is what we have needed. Beating a Rochdale emphatically yesterday was important for confidence yesterday but we have a big test on Monday against Whitehaven. If we're going to be up there at the end of the season we have to beat teams like Whitehaven and Doncaster next week.

Edited by dec666

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you had a good day mate, despite the horrific scoreline….looks like injuries and suspensions took their toll...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone else noticed how similar Vitali Klitchko and Jamie Peacock look?

Peacock by KO!

Bet you enjoyed that last night Roger?

Knew Warrington would choke last night, they celebrated winning the hub-cap too much, when the hard work was about to start and Leeds have been in form since losing (unluckily) at Wembley. I said a few weeks ago apart from Saints they were the team to watch in the Play Offs. Can't call the game at The Stobart tonight, saints beat them with relative ease a fortnight ago but I would have preferred us to playing away as the Stobart has been a but of a graveyard in big games this season. Got my GF tickets and I would love to see Saints v Leeds IV and a chance to finally beat them in a GF…all will be revealed tonight!

I feel a bit daft for writing off Saints' season in May now. :grin:

It does show up the unfairness (IMO) of the playoff system when the title winners will either be the team who finished 3rd, or the team who finished 5th. It must be sickening for Warrington after the great season they've had. Still, not complaining right now. Fantastic achievement for Saints, given the injuries they've had this year. Hopefully they can get revenge for Leeds' offside try in 2009. :mad:

Oh and the icing on the cake was the cameras showing my teacher from junior school (who was a :censored:ing dreadful teacher) with her head in her hands in the Wigan end when Roby scored. hahahahahahahahaha :grin:

I feel a bit daft for writing off Saints' season in May now. :grin:

It does show up the unfairness (IMO) of the playoff system when the title winners will either be the team who finished 3rd, or the team who finished 5th. It must be sickening for Warrington after the great season they've had. Still, not complaining right now. Fantastic achievement for Saints, given the injuries they've had this year. Hopefully they can get revenge for Leeds' offside try in 2009. :mad:

Oh and the icing on the cake was the cameras showing my teacher from junior school (who was a :censored:ing dreadful teacher) with her head in her hands in the Wigan end when Roby scored. hahahahahahahahaha :grin:

GET THE FOOK IN!!! 4th time lucky v Leeds I hope!!!!

Looking forward to the final. Would have enjoyed seeing Warrington there as they play some quality entertaining stuff. Glad Wigan lost. Leeds and Saints have come out of next to nowhere for this.

If you asked me four months ago I would not have given either side a prayer of getting there. Wigan have wilted badly since the Challenge cup final.

Thought last night was great. Love watching Gaskell with the ball, although he has a real jailface. Never seen anyone match every crimewatch efit like he does before.

Saturday should be belting. Truly the most entertaining sport there is.

Got a free ticket for Saturday. Managed to go a full season without paying for a ticket. Beauty.

GET THE FOOK IN!!! 4th time lucky v Leeds I hope!!!!

I hope saints do win. Not that I have any affinity to them but a gripe I have ith the Super League. The fact that Leeds will be considered as 'champions' if they win, despite finishing in 5th, 13 points below the league leaders Warrington, and 12 behind 2nd place it utter :censored:e.

I hope saints do win. Not that I have any affinity to them but a gripe I have ith the Super League. The fact that Leeds will be considered as 'champions' if they win, despite finishing in 5th, 13 points below the league leaders Warrington, and 12 behind 2nd place it utter :censored:e.

Couldn't agree more mate. Warrington have finished top after 27 games and should therefore be champions. It's worked against St Helens several times; i remember being furious when that bellend Eddie Hemmings said "Pretenders 16, Champions 24!" after the 2008 GF. They were the best team after 27 games, we might have to accept the play off system but don't take the piss by calling the team that finished top of the league 'pretenders'.

Booked my tickets for Saturday. I feel a bit bad about going to the GF when i haven't been to any other games this season but a) i'm skint (it's expensive enough supporting one team), b ) Old Trafford's big enough that i'm not taking a ticket off anyone and c) Widnes really is a :censored:hole. Apparently before the game last night they played The Green Green Grass of Home, I Wanna Go Home by Michael Buble, Come Home by James and Homeward Bound. :grin:

Edited by rosa

Couldn't agree more mate. Warrington have finished top after 27 games and should therefore be champions. It's worked against St Helens several times; i remember being furious when that bellend Eddie Hemmings said "Pretenders 16, Champions 24!" after the 2008 GF. They were the best team after 27 games, we might have to accept the play off system but don't take the piss by calling the team that finished top of the league 'pretenders'.

Booked my tickets for Saturday. I feel a bit bad about going to the GF when i haven't been to any other games this season but a) i'm skint (it's expensive enough supporting one team), b ) Old Trafford's big enough that i'm not taking a ticket off anyone and c) Widnes really is a :censored:hole. Apparently before the game last night they played The Green Green Grass of Home, I Wanna Go Home by Michael Buble, Come Home by James and Homeward Bound. :grin:

Agree with A, B & C Only other game i've been to was the Good Friday defeat at Wigan, and i went to the Challenge Cup Final but i'm hoping to get to a few more in the new ground next season. But we go every year to the Grand Final 'tis tradition, been a bit of a bonus that this is the 6th straight final saints have been there.

Edited by oafcprozac

Agree with A, B & C Only other game i've been to was the Good Friday defeat at Wigan, and i went to the Challenge Cup Final but i'm hoping to get to a few more in the new ground next season. But we go every year to the Grand Final 'tis tradition, been a bit of a bonus that this is the 6th straight final saints have been there.

Good Luck to the Saints today, I know there's a few of us on here. I hope tonight will be the end of the losing final run, but i'm just proud as hell that a team of kids and crocks has overcome so much this year to get to the Grand Final. I didn't think we had a hope in hell! Hopefully I'll be equally wrong with Latics chances this year.

Soon I will be starting my pre-match slurp…

V

Edited by oafcprozac

Here's hoping to a Saints win for a couple of reasons 1) Its Lancs v Yorks so a Lancs win please! 2) I know they have won it 4 times already but i feel for them that they haven't won the last four especially on one occassion being the best side that year!

Despair you can live with;it's the hope that kills you. I know it was an immense achievement for Saints to even reach the Grand Final this year but really, if you're going to make it that far, you might as well give it a good go. It was like watching the RL equivalent of Dave Penney, in a way; even when Saints were ahead, i had my hands over my face saying "I can't watch this, i can't, they're going to throw it away again". Even when they were ahead, never looked a threat, never looked like killing the game off, never really looked like scoring a try. It's bad enough putting your heart and soul (and a fair chunk of your disposable income) into one team that continually, incessantly disappoints and punches you in the face, but two? I really don't have the energy or money for that. It's too much. Five :censored:ing years in a row? you have to ask why they're bottling it year after year. I can't face watching another season of that, i really can't.

I really don't have the energy or money for that. It's too much. Five :censored:ing years in a row? you have to ask why they're bottling it year after year. I can't face watching another season of that, i really can't.

How do you think Jammer is feeling, with nothing but runners up medals!

The money I understand Rosa, however consider that we got to a final that we never really thought of getting to, Saints have got a very bright future ahead of them with those 14 academy lads coming through the ranks. Until Shenner and Wello got crocked we'd have won it n'all. Ultimately after a injury hit season, the lack of depth in the squad became apparent when we needed it the most.

Those young lads that took to the stage yesterday will take that experience and build on it, thing's will work out just fine....

V