No anti-virus software will update

opinions4u

Daughter's laptop (running on XP) got infected by this Spotify virus (or something else) the other day.

I've managed to shift that problem with System Restore - although I have no idea if the little sod is still lurking somewhere inside. She had no anti-virus software (depsite us nagging). PrevX had expired a year or so earlier.

I've tried a range of free anti-virus software downloads since (the Microsoft Security Essentials one, Lavasft and a couple beginning with A). All will download. Most will scan. None will update. So I've uninstalled them for now.

When I Google "Windows Update" you get the range of links that you'd expect. When I click through IE suddently decides it doesn't want to work. If I google something like owtb it finds the right link, but when I click on the link it takes me to some sort of pathetic advertising page called biznut of something.

So what I'm after, preferably in idiot proof stages, is how to get any piece of (preferably free) anti-virus software to work on this machine, update on this machine and remove any nasties off this machine.

Lavasoft Ad-Aware says "The update manager cannot connect to the server. Please check your network and firewall settings". The Firewall apppears fine, and the same message appears if I disable it. Similar messages have appeared for Microsoft Security Essentials etc.

I've spent a few hours trying some of the suggestions in Google and failed.

Any ideas?

Edited by opinions4u

Daughter's laptop (running on XP) got infected by this Spotify virus (or something else) the other day.

I've managed to shift that problem with System Restore - although I have no idea if the little sod is still lurking somewhere inside. She had no anti-virus software (depsite us nagging). PrevX had expired a year or so earlier.

I've tried a range of free anti-virus software downloads since (the Microsoft Security Essentials one, Lavasft and a couple beginning with A). All will download. Most will scan. None will update. So I've uninstalled them for now.

When I Google "Windows Update" you get the range of links that you'd expect. When I click through IE suddently decides it doesn't want to work. If I google something like owtb it finds the right link, but when I click on the link it takes me to some sort of pathetic advertising page called biznut of something.

So what I'm after, preferably in idiot proof stages, is how to get any piece of (preferably free) anti-virus software to work on this machine, update on this machine and remove any nasties off this machine.

Lavasoft Ad-Aware says "The update manager cannot connect to the server. Please check your network and firewall settings". The Firewall apppears fine, and the same message appears if I disable it. Similar messages have appeared for Microsoft Security Essentials etc.

I've spent a few hours trying some of the suggestions in Google and failed.

Any ideas?

What's the virus strain called?

Anyway -

Download, install and run Malwarebytes anti malware: http://cnet.co/ik3YKb (if it won't allow you to install / restart in SAFEMODE and start the install it that way)

restart

Goto http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/ and start the online scanner.

restart

See what happens.

If you still suspect there is something wrong, download http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/ and install to desktop, change the name of it and execute. PM me the results and I'll have a look.