#1 HallamBlue

HallamBlue

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts
  • Team:Oldham Athletic

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:35 AM

Just a quick heads up re need for care with the crap that is VISTA.... A mate been struggling with it since an auto update created a boot issue - starts ang gets past first screen basically what happens is when it boots into the OS it would automatically restart when just showing the bar loading screen. Wont accept a disc and safe mode locks out at same point on crcdisk.sys NOTHING works its like playing a slot machine even getting into BIOS etc.

This is a VERY OLD FAULT back to 2008 but appears to be an issue on lots of machines running auto update in past week. I have had to take data off her hard drives and store. Done a complete new install of Windows 7 and then transfer data back. Now works fine and some speed issues sorted in process. Thought worth mentioning as a reminder to back up data as would have been a disaster as had important Uni work on. I got her a Seagate go-flex drive for 25 at Maplins 500Mb on an offer well worth it.
Via the PlayerShare WebShop link of course!
http://www.spendandr...o.php?rb=3-1861

#2 Lookers_Carl

Lookers_Carl

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

Also be careful though with the SP1 update for windows 7. On my desktop after installing it, the computer turned itself off when i tried to put it in sleep mode, upon restarting got the 'windows did not shut down correctly'
Its not about how hard you can hit, but how much you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thats how winning is done.

Sly Stallone in Rocky Balboa (2006)

#3 razza699

razza699

Filipe Morais

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

Just a quick heads up re need for care with the crap that is VISTA.... A mate been struggling with it since an auto update created a boot issue - starts ang gets past first screen basically what happens is when it boots into the OS it would automatically restart when just showing the bar loading screen. Wont accept a disc and safe mode locks out at same point on crcdisk.sys NOTHING works its like playing a slot machine even getting into BIOS etc.

This is a VERY OLD FAULT back to 2008 but appears to be an issue on lots of machines running auto update in past week. I have had to take data off her hard drives and store. Done a complete new install of Windows 7 and then transfer data back. Now works fine and some speed issues sorted in process. Thought worth mentioning as a reminder to back up data as would have been a disaster as had important Uni work on. I got her a Seagate go-flex drive for 25 at Maplins 500Mb on an offer well worth it.

Its happened to a machine here at our place , most users are on Windows 7 but one old Vista machine has died today, a collegue is currently trying to fix it although Ive advised him to rebuild it :lol: