Olympics

We've got our 3 tickets for Archery.

A 5 yo was the same price as an Adult.

I decided to go top price but had no idea where we would get our seats.

Luckily we are probably in line with the archers. Front row seat.

Cost an arm and a leg, but once in a lifetime.

I would heartily recommend public transport via St John's Wood rather than driving ;) If you fancy something a bit different you are a stone's throw from fantastic Arabian restaurants on THE Edgware Road.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew, have you been tipped the nod on what the anticipated footfall through Clapham Junction is? I can feel a few weeks of working from home coming on.

Gut feeling is that it will be less than usual. Only reason I could think it would be busy would be Gatwick, but you would go to London Bridge if you were staying anywhere East side and as likely as not flying into Heathrow if you wanted me to look after your motor in the nice bits. Lots of people doing as you suggest plus less standard tourism and I reckon it will be pretty quiet.

I can edit if you want to show to your boss as expert evidence however.

I hate the Olympics.

I hate G4S.

I hate the Army on the streets and the Navy in the river and the RAF in the air.

I hate ground-to-air missiles on blocks of flats and areas of public land.

I hate the appropriation of public areas by the Olympics. Fancy going for a stroll in Greenwich park three weeks ago? You can't. Not unless you walk there. No parking from now till the end of eternity.

I hate Zil lanes.

I hate the IOC.

I hate the royal family.

I hate the Olympic park, which is an interesting study in urban decay waiting to happen.

I hate how LOCOG turfed people off their allotments and out of their caravans and businesses in the East End.

I hate the propaganda.

I hate Sebastian Coe.

I hate Jeremy Hunt.

I hate all the politicians who've spoken up for the Olympics whilst ignoring their usual opposition to things (no money, no accountability etc.) That goes for Labour and Tory alike.

I hate Tessa Jowell.

I hate the legacy claims. One Tory MP reckons the games will more than pay for themselves because the nation will take up the javelin and the shot put following the games. This is untrue, but the worse thing is no one actually needs to tell such lies.

I hate this waste of public money.

I hate the ticketing fiasco.

I hate how everyone all of a sudden pretends to like sports in which they demonstrably have no interest the rest of the time.

I hate sports that are decided on the whim of a team of expert judges.

I hate the Olympic family.

I hate "Team GB". It's Great Britain and Northern Ireland or the United Kingdom or nothing.

I hate "Team GB" because the footballers cannot influence the performance of the rowers one way or the other. Not a team.

I hate the Olympics.

I hate the shopping centre in Stratford.

I hate the fact that everyone travelling to the games as a pleb will have to walk through the shopping centre.

I hate the total decimation of the London tourist industry.

I hate the vastly inflated price of getting out of London.

I hate how the games is being held in one of the most deprived areas of the country, with no hypothecated benefit for said area.

Funnily enough, I don't hate the corporate sponsorship. Saved a few quid has that.

I think that just about covers it.

I hate £1,000 per household. That's nationwide, whereas in reality the burden falls on Londoners - who've been dissuaded from going anywhere or doing anything during the games. Including working.

-

I'm really on the :censored:ty end of the stick then. Should have gone on the buses for the duration. What's the source of the figures though? I suspect there will be funny numbers thrown around all ways. It does bring a :censored: load of money in, where the balance lies is hard to say.

N Korea's anger over flag mix-up

The North Korean women's football team has refused to start their Olympics match against Colombia because the South Korean flag was accidentally shown on the big screen at Hampden Park in Glasgow.

Oops.

hahahahahahahahaha love it. Make a spectacular (and very public) :censored:-up of the security, then mortally offend the team from the really mad country with the nuclear weapons. Brilliant. I look forward to the staff at Hampden welcoming Rangers fans to their fixture v Queen's Park by playing Fields of Athenry.

Don't know who the creepy little :censored: was who was commentating on the football on Radio 5 earlier this afternoon, but in the interests of consistency I hope he repeatedly refers to Giggs as 'leggy' and Bellamy as 'the blonde' tomorrow night.

I keep hearing about this :censored: load of money, but no one ever says where it will come from - or where it might go.

Olympics cost divided by number of households = £1,000.

-

What's the maths/research behind that?

I keep hearing about this :censored: load of money, but no one ever says where it will come from - or where it might go.

Olympics cost divided by number of households = £1,000.

-

Ticket sales, Coke, McDonalds, merchandising, parking tickets etc etc

(Actually it will cost the authorities in terms of parking tickets)

I hate the Olympics.

<snip ranty rant>

I think that just about covers it.

Jeebers, wow - you really to chill the feck out and have a Solaro. It must be hard being that angry about things.

I'm looking forward to the whole 9-yards personally - I like sport, playing & watching so I can't wait - and the extra revenue brought in by the tourists can't be overlooked either.

But, hey ho.