Olympics

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 billion?

Yes. £25 billion. I know what you mean. The budget for the bid was £3 billion. Then it went up to £9 billion then to £12 billion. In other circumstances (without the hypnosis induced by the Olympic rings) that escalation would be a national scandal.

The £25 billion figure includes all outturn not included in the actual Olympic budget, such as, for instance, transport infrastructure spending, and any annually managed expenditure increase incurred, for example, by paying for the holidays of 3,000 troops, and so on.

Why does anyone think the games should make a profit? Not everything does you know.

And yes that Radio 5 commentator was embarrassing. "Team GB have brought on another blonde as substitute. That makes two blondes on the pitch now".

I pride myself on my ability to provide a well honed sexist remark but I nearly crashed the car when I heard that!

Why does anyone think the games should make a profit? Not everything does you know.

And yes that Radio 5 commentator was embarrassing. "Team GB have brought on another blonde as substitute. That makes two blondes on the pitch now".

I pride myself on my ability to provide a well honed sexist remark but I nearly crashed the car when I heard that!

Why, do you drive like a girl or something?

Jeebers, wow - you really to chill the feck out and have a Solaro. It must be hard being that angry about things.

I'm looking forward to the whole 9-yards personally - I like sport, playing & watching so I can't wait - and the extra revenue brought in by the tourists can't be overlooked either.

But, hey ho.

I love running, so I can't wait for the track events to start. Judo is also always one of my favourites, as is the Greco Roman / freestyle wrestling.

I left work to go and get a bus from Shaftesbury Avenue, only to find the Torch going past. Figured that the bus was screwed so decided to walk over Hyde Park to get my train home. When I remembered that Hyde Park was sealed off I decided to go to Charing Cross and get a train from there, only for the bloody :censored:ing Torch to come past me again by Trafalgar Square meaning I had to make my way through thousands more idiots. Grrrrr

People dressed as swans dancing to Tiger Feet by Mud. Tiger Feet. Tiger. Feet. This is what happens when you put someone from Bury in charge of the opening ceremony.

For what it's worth I can confirm that one of the drummers is a highly attractive bisexual girl with a pleasing habit of getting her cans out in public. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Yes. £25 billion. I know what you mean. The budget for the bid was £3 billion. Then it went up to £9 billion then to £12 billion. In other circumstances (without the hypnosis induced by the Olympic rings) that escalation would be a national scandal.

The £25 billion figure includes all outturn not included in the actual Olympic budget, such as, for instance, transport infrastructure spending, and any annually managed expenditure increase incurred, for example, by paying for the holidays of 3,000 troops, and so on.

Well they said it cost £9.3 billion the other day, though granted some creative accounting may be at work from the Tories. If you include everything though e.g. transport infrastructure, you cannot say that its just Olympic cost i.e. London/South West will benefit from that for years to come..... and considering you were saying the locals need money spending on them, isn't this in effect what has been done. Not to mention the new housing!

I agree, the whole point of the expenditure is that the people, the economy and the country will 'profit' not the actual event itself.

What new housing? It's not just the Tories who are creatively accounting by the way - Labour started this bollocks. Transport infrastructure needed to happen anyway, but happened only because of the Olympics.

-

Fair point about Labour. Apparently the Olympic village is going to be changed to new housing and a further 11,000 new homes planned........ unless this has been shelved in the mean time?

Don't see your point about the transport infrastructure, you either include it within the cost or knock it off. Regardless, it is still a benefit to have it.

In what sense will the people profit? Monetarily? Let me know when you get that cheque for £1,001.

Or will they profit in a spiritual sense?

I wish I was abroad.

-

Both, people get paid to build things and sell pasties and people watching other people run and throw things go 'wow'.

Both, people get paid to build things and sell pasties and people watching other people run and throw things go 'wow'.

I'd rather people got paid to build houses in one of the most deprived areas of the country and people went "wow" about that. People would have gone: "Wow. We found a way of helping each other without the need to offset it against a sporting event. Wow." You could build temporary stands so people could come and watch a roof going up, so they could say "Wow" live.

Pasties are strictly verboten by the way, on the Olympic site. If it's not McDonalds, you can :censored: off the Olympic site. Or Coca-Cola or Heineken.

I'd rather people got paid to build houses in one of the most deprived areas of the country and people went "wow" about that. People would have gone: "Wow. We found a way of helping each other without the need to offset it against a sporting event. Wow." You could build temporary stands so people could come and watch a roof going up, so they could say "Wow" live.

Pasties are strictly verboten by the way, on the Olympic site. If it's not McDonalds, you can :censored: off the Olympic site. Or Coca-Cola or Heineken.

As per above, unless it has been shelved people will get paid to build houses and people will go 'wow'. Either that or London is rubbish and needs to take a leaf from Manchester who seems to know how to do legacy and regeneration after a large sporting event. Currently the Council (as the developer) is building new houses in Gorton.

I do wholeheartedly agree that the commercial sponsors bollox and brand protection, is well bollox. Though would applaud the local cafe to the stadium that is called the 'Lympic Cafe'.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

As per above, unless it has been shelved people will get paid to build houses and people will go 'wow'. Either that or London is rubbish and needs to take a leaf from Manchester who seems to know how to do legacy and regeneration after a large sporting event. Currently the Council (as the developer) is building new houses in Gorton.

Wow. Where's Gorton? Did they have the Commonwealth tiddlywinks there? I know what you mean. At least Manchester had a plan of what to do with the stadium (even if some say they sold themselves a bit short renting it out to Citeh). Not true of London. Leyton Orient don't want it. West Ham can't afford it. Tottenham fans won't wear it.

London, or more specifically Sebastian Coe, is rubbish. That's my point. There is no plan. He says kids will take up sport, but they won't unless there's a dramatic departure from Olympic history.

Not only does the London Olympics have no plan, it ruined a perfectly plausible one - to build warehouses, industrial units and supply chain operations to take advantage of the Channel Tunnel rail link in Stratford. There's a big :censored: off stadium there now and a swimming pool and somewhere to play hockey. And the price of the remaining land has gone through the roof.

By the way, what does "regeneration" mean? Does it mean "building a new sports arena"?

I rememebr the RL World Cup opening ceremony in the mid 90s. First game Eng v Oz at Wembley preceded by Diana Ross being driven round the track in an open top roller singing Let's Get Physical"

They interviewed her and she claimed that she'd always been a big RL fan.

Keep it credible luv

In what sense will the people profit? Monetarily? Let me know when you get that cheque for £1,001.

Or will they profit in a spiritual sense?

I wish I was abroad.

-

I'm confused - I thought you were very much in favour of the Government borrowing more money to spend on things that people wouldn't choose to pay for with their own cash? Plan B innit? To be honest the Olympics will destroy less young lives in this country than the welfare system, and kill less people in the Third World than the CAP, so pound for pound I am not that worked up about it, and then there is Jessica and the Saintly Victoria to think about.

I'd rather gave a warehouse two hours away from the continent and one from London than a sports stadium. Plan B is infrastructure spending based on borrowing at unbelievably low interest. Genuine once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I agree about the feckin' CAP.

-

I fear your warehouses would have as much custom as the Olympic Stadium with Orient playing us in it.