Managers Getting A Cut of Transfer Fees

They bring a player in, or through the club, develop them in to something better and sell them on at a profit for the club.

Should they get a share in that profit?

Or is it a reasonable expectation of the job they do. One that sets them up for a move to a bigger club with a bigger salary in future?

Two examples I can think of:

1) Redknapp (allegedly) at Portsmouth.

2) Gannon at Stockport in his first spell.

While it may be unconnected, both clubs ended up in administration.

It may well be commonplace (no idea). But is it right?

As is my understanding, there is no allegedly about the Harry Redknapp profit on transfers. The supposed extra funds make up the difference from 5% as manager to 10% if he was still director of football.

Surely that though is a bung? You are therefore encouraged to sell players on?

As is my understanding, there is no allegedly about the Harry Redknapp profit on transfers. The supposed extra funds make up the difference from 5% as manager to 10% if he was still director of football.

Surely that though is a bung? You are therefore encouraged to sell players on?

I suppose a "bung" implies against the rules or not in the contract.

There is a case for a manager like Dickov being encouraged to develop a player an move him on for a big profit. Should he be paid a cut of the profit in addition to salary though?

It's probably not a good idea if the manager is as bent as a gay hairpin. TBH not that many managers stay in the job long enough to sell a player they bought in, and do they also pay back 10% of the transfer fees of :censored:e that they bought? King Kenny had better get saving if they do.

It doesn't sit right with me. Partly for the reason RR mentions above and also because it incentivises playing someone who doesn't deserve their place because giving them exposure potentially raises their value and the likelihood of other teams coming in for them. When it comes down to the finer details, there's a conflict of interests between what's good for the team and what's good for the manager personally.

They bring a player in, or through the club, develop them in to something better and sell them on at a profit for the club.

Should they get a share in that profit?

Or is it a reasonable expectation of the job they do. One that sets them up for a move to a bigger club with a bigger salary in future?

Two examples I can think of:

1) Redknapp (allegedly) at Portsmouth.

2) Gannon at Stockport in his first spell.

While it may be unconnected, both clubs ended up in administration.

It may well be commonplace (no idea). But is it right?

Dowie was owed a cut of Fitz Hall apparently (so he claimed)

Dowie was owed a cut of Fitz Hall apparently (so he claimed)

The same Dowie who signed Fitz Hall from his brother's team- just emphasises how dodgy managers getting a cut from player's transfer fees is.

The only people getting a cut from a transfer fee should be the club selling and possibly the player himself (provided they've not put in a transfer request). Agents, managers and other hangers on should get nothing.

The same brother who recommended Ernie Cooksey, who took a drop in wages to join Latics in Administration.

That's all well and good but if Oldham and Chesham (Is that who Dowie's brother was managing) had deals in place where the managers got a cut of the transfer fees then the Dowie brothers would have made a killing and that is what is dodgy.

I'm sure this was not the case but it highlights how letting managers take a cut of transfer deals could/can be manipulated to make the managers money.

Think Holloway got some of Charlie Adam's transfer fee to Liverpool.

I think Oyston said who would get what out of that fee, Holloway, Adam, Rangers etc..

I think once everyone's cut had been taken out, Blackpool would of been left with around 50% or less of the actual fee.