starting an ultra

sounds stupid, and everyones doing it now, and you can go on and on, but look at the atmosphere at their grounds... i think most people would prefer to have something like that than a boring quite ground... like it pretty much is now with the slight beat of a drum.. just an idea, but many teams have done it, and their attendances have increased ever since, such as fc united, accrington and stevenage, they may all be crap, but still makes games more enjoyable

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

usually to be an Ultra you must follow 4 rules

1 - you sing for 90 minutes solid listening to the bloke at the front with a megaphone

2 - you stand for 90 minutes in your designated section of the ground claimed by the Ultras

3 - you wear or hold up something displaying your club colours

4 - you have the Ultras logo or club crest tattooed on your person

I like the idea, but don't think I could fully commit to it myself and I think a fair few people may object to the idea

Edited by Tommy_Fent

usually to be an Ultra you must follow 4 rules

1 - you sing for 90 minutes solid listening to the bloke at the front with a megaphone

2 - you stand for 90 minutes in your designated section of the ground claimed by the Ultras

3 - you wear or hold up something displaying your club colours

4 - you have the Ultras logo or club crest tattooed on your person

I like the idea, but don't think I could fully commit to it myself and I think a fair few people may object to the idea

Check. If you add...

5. Drink at least 10 pints on match day, miss kick-off, the end of the first half and beginning of the second, but NEVER the final whistle.

...you can join OASIS.

Check. If you add...

5. Drink at least 10 pints on match day, miss kick-off, the end of the first half and beginning of the second, but NEVER the final whistle.

...you can join OASIS.

We always claim a section (most of the the time they are the only seats left at 3.10pm)

Always sing (drink as strange affects on grown men)

We have our own Capo (LL)

Some still have the scaves I got made so thats colours sorted, although Big Fin and Alex do tend to wear their Latics shirts all the time!

Some have tatts (mostly random shaped ones with no real connection to Latics, unless Morrissey played for us back in the day)

oh ... and loads of flats / banners

Ultra's look great but I just don't like the whole 'organised' part .... having several capo's leading set songs just doesn't work for me, it's just to polished. The randomness of off the cuff comments and songs make visits much more fun.

Edited by Markoasis

sounds stupid, and everyones doing it now, and you can go on and on, but look at the atmosphere at their grounds... i think most people would prefer to have something like that than a boring quite ground... like it pretty much is now with the slight beat of a drum.. just an idea, but many teams have done it, and their attendances have increased ever since, such as fc united, accrington and stevenage, they may all be crap, but still makes games more enjoyable

Well i was shocked to see where clicking on FC United led me :shock:

yeah it doesnt necessarily mean that their needs to be capo's all fans can start songs, just to get the whole look of ultras, such as banners, flags, and drums, most teams like i said have got their popularity from having such good atmosphere... + if they had the section next to the away fans it would also include fans banter, and all oldham songss, also all the foreign songs, also im sure if the rre wanted to sing all the way through the game for 90 mins, im sure they would, but starting something like this has to be brought in, not specifically organized just so other oldham fans hear about it, and do something about it

also, they could situate it in the small section of the rre which would then mean that everyone else that doesnt want to sing and wants to watch a game will go the chaddy or main stand, which will make the bp look more full, and then the singing section is still next to the away fans? what does everyone think?

also, they could situate it in the small section of the rre which would then mean that everyone else that doesnt want to sing and wants to watch a game will go the chaddy or main stand, which will make the bp look more full, and then the singing section is still next to the away fans? what does everyone think?

IMO the best atmospheres I have been in for league games at BP since the RRE was open to home fans have been in the small section of the RRE I think they should

designate that section for home fans, make it the singing section for most games it could have a great effect as it gets like minded people closer together.

I am pretty sure this wont happen though! Just as I am pretty sure the atmosphere would become instantly better if they made the RRE the home end and made everyone go in together and the Chaddy the away end. It has been loud when everyone has been forced into the Chaddy but the noise doesnt travel out of the stand!

At the end of the day though there is too many little differences between Latics fans to ever produce a consistently good atmosphere, just like the bickering on here you hear plenty at the game, and if wherever there is someone trying to start an atmosphere there is someone telling them to sit down and shut up. If the club and fans used a little common sense there is plenty of room for everyone to enjoy the game with like minded people but *sigh* it will never happen.

NOW SIT DOWN!

Edited by Oh Heck C-Beck

yeah it doesnt necessarily mean that their needs to be capo's all fans can start songs, just to get the whole look of ultras, such as banners, flags, and drums, most teams like i said have got their popularity from having such good atmosphere... + if they had the section next to the away fans it would also include fans banter, and all oldham songss, also all the foreign songs, also im sure if the rre wanted to sing all the way through the game for 90 mins, im sure they would, but starting something like this has to be brought in, not specifically organized just so other oldham fans hear about it, and do something about it

Why do you have to ruin it with this?!?! 'All the foreign songs'? WHY? Why can't we sing Oldham songs instead of some awful Italian racket, I don't care if it sounds 'cool', we need to back the team and have a little originality in us. What seperates us from all the other tin pot clubs copying the Europeans?

Get a section of the ground, get people who will back the team and sing all game, tell the 10 year olds squeaking at the Away fans to do one, get a few banners and I think it's a great idea, I just don't want a load of Sankt Pauli wannabes at our club after I've mocked so many clubs for having similar fanbases.

Perhaps we need to stop being so paranoid about the atmosphere and what songs we sing and concentrate on just having a good time because if people are enjoying themselves they usually create a good atmosphere. Lifes stressful enough Latics should be their to be enjoyed win or lose.

If someone wants to create an ultras group then I say go for it if you make it fun and enjoyable people will join in with it.

thats the whole idea, is to create the banter again that used to be at boundary park, such as 5 years ago, i used to love coming to the ground to watch the football and basically have a disco in the chaddy end, now the most eventful thing is the pies at half time... as fans were their to cheer on our team and have a good time... so anyone wants to help me do something about this would be great?

There shall be no change! We don't need change! We certainly don't want 'Johnny Foreigner' influencing our football with singing and that, it's an absolute disgrace. We've never had any connection with any other country before ever so why destabilise my out-of-touch xenophobic point of view (especially after I've slagged off other league teams for adopting and embracing a possible culture change that might reinvigorate the floundering spectacle that is supporting a lower league club).

String 'em up I say, STRING THEM UP! God Save The Queen etcs.

My best football atmosphere experience was River Plate FC (Argentina), They are famous for the 'Twelfth man' approach! 90 minutes of singing, drums, trumpets and megaphones! Scarves by the thousands and flags by the hundreds.

I noticed a big gap in the middle of the stand behind the goal and my Argentinean friend said watch.... 5 minutes before kickoff the 'Ultra' made their entrance WOW WOW WOW! It just did not stop from that point.

Keep it simple:

1x BIG drum

As many Tambourines as possible

Everyone own a scarf and display it above the head when singing

Get the young ones waving the flags

1x song every 5 mins with a 5 min breather for some 'COME ON OLDHAM shout'

LETS GO GO GO !!!!

I knew people wouldn't like what I say, but I know I'm not the only one who thinks all this English fans singing foreign chants endlessly is a load of bollocks.

to be fair, in other countries Ultras, Torcidas, Barra bravase etc have taken their ideas from England and adapted them to make them their own. I don't see whats wrong with taking the concept of the Ultras and adapting it to give it more of an English feel, all we need is to claim a section of the ground where everyone stands, sings and makes a racket for 90 minutes solid regardless of whats going on on the pitch we could give it our own name too

This is how the Frankfurt Ultras do it

Edited by Tommy_Fent

yeah it doesnt necessarily mean that their needs to be capo's all fans can start songs, just to get the whole look of ultras, such as banners, flags, and drums, most teams like i said have got their popularity from having such good atmosphere...

Ultras definitely make a big difference to the atmosphere. I say good luck to you.

Distant_Echo_2_41-a.jpg?1320874078