starting an ultra

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sing and chant but don't call yourself or act like Ultras. Leave that to the Italians.

what this gent said.. this is england.. we not part of this European football culture we never have been.. there is nothing more cringeworthy than watching english fans emulating foreign fans... perfect example of this "the poznan"

sign your hearts out by all means but leave the organised drumming, balloons, colour shows etc out.. it really is pathetic...

i admire your determination to get some much need atmosphere back to bp but ultra is not the way

:ktf:

what this gent said.. this is england.. we not part of this European football culture we never have been.. there is nothing more cringeworthy than watching english fans emulating foreign fans... perfect example of this "the poznan"

sign your hearts out by all means but leave the organised drumming, balloons, colour shows etc out.. it really is pathetic...

i admire your determination to get some much need atmosphere back to bp but ultra is not the way

:ktf:

As much as I admire your form of inspiration, I think it's a load of pessimistic crap.

English/Welsh fans have a hard time because we haven't soaked it in properly like the rest of Europe: agreed. But it's this crappy pessimism which just reflects English/Welsh fans. How is it not the way when it's wanted by many fans and offers a billion doors to us? Why can't we make a name of ourselves instead of that club that's crap or has something to do with the race riots?

Latics do sing, Latics do have a drum. But what the hell is wrong with making our weekly hobby an entertaining event which makes people think "Man, maybe we should do that?"

Look at FC United: a thousand leagues under the sea, no own ground so to speak and they have probably the best fans in the entirety of the leagues (don't quote me on that). You know why? Because they looked at Europe and said "Let's do it." And they did. They have more flags than a UN conference and are FAR more entertaining than Latics fans - sorry, lads.

Kids, women and the elderly join in (yes, these barriers sadly still exist in 2013). Can we do that? We scrape the barrel. They can inspire and we can barely get an attendance unless we're forced to play a Premier League team - and even some of those tickets when to Liverpool fans in the Oldham stands!

If you feel like that go and sit in the main stand or sit down and clap along in a corner of the Chaddy/RRE by all means. But, Christ, don't be such a pessimist when it comes to something different or more exciting.

It's no wonder this thread has been hovering for about 5 years - I've even created one myself!

Keep the faith and show it as well.

Edited by GuyGermanLatic

But it's this crappy pessimism which just reflects English/Welsh fans.

We can be pessimistic. That's British culture and personality, dyed in the wool stuff. It's not just football fans. Our culture is built (in the main) on being reserved, and not doing anything that might make us look a :censored:.

We can be pessimistic. That's British culture and personality, dyed in the wool stuff. It's not just football fans. Our culture is built (in the main) on being reserved, and not doing anything that might make us look a :censored:.

Trust me, I know.

If you want my reply, keep repeating the quote in your signature to yourself.

Plus, who gives? We can't make a bigger push-over/joke of ourselves than we already are doing in the league or with just a beating drum for 90 minutes with nobody singing.

Go to an FC United match, seriously. See the power of working-class football fans.

Edited by GuyGermanLatic

Trust me, I know.

If you want my reply, keep repeating the quote in your signature to yourself.

Plus, who gives? We can't make a bigger push-over/joke of ourselves than we already are doing in the league or with just a beating drum for 90 minutes with nobody singing.

Go to an FC United match, seriously. See the power of working-class football fans.

No thanks. I'll stay within my comfort zone ta. I'll support in my own 'British' way. Feel free to continue to try to drum up large numbers of support for this though.

There is no "British" way...

Cool for the support though. :OASISscarf:

There is no British way? Pretty sure the whole original European ultra scene adopted numerous aspects of British football culture. :censored:in hell, FC United wave a few banners and make up some semi-amusing songs, so what?

Did you move to Germany solely to immerse yourself in ultra-ing? Just seems like you've a bit of an agenda against the club you supported and posted videos about a couple of years ago.

They've sold the idea that they've invented non-league football, affordable for those who can no longer afford OT ticket prices. Most of them weren't regulars anyway and have local league/non-league clubs on their doorsteps that have been doing what they think they've invented for 100 + years.

The last game I went to was Crewe at home, I had to wait 60 minutes (true) until I heard any singing from the Latics fans! Think we need to just start singing again rather than starting an Ultra! Though I like the idea, as the atomsphere seems fantastic! Let's get some flares!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What gets me is this attitude (not just you) of appearing to feel offended at having to wait for Latics fans to sing. It only needs one person to start it and there are many willing to join in. Try starting it.

There is no British way? Pretty sure the whole original European ultra scene adopted numerous aspects of British football culture. :censored:in hell, FC United wave a few banners and make up some semi-amusing songs, so what?

Did you move to Germany solely to immerse yourself in ultra-ing? Just seems like you've a bit of an agenda against the club you supported and posted videos about a couple of years ago.

I think it was to patronise anyone who isn't masturbating continuously over videos of ultras on youtube, tell everyone how crap english supporters are and smugly dismiss any attempt to change this as 'a bit naff'. Cheers though.

The way he was presented it made it sound as if this British way you're pretty sure about is just sitting down not doing a lot when - as we both know - it's the opposite of that.

I moved back there to take the jobs of Germans and say "Bloody English comin' over 'ere, takin' our jobs!"

And an agenda? I love Latics! I just want to see this idea finally go ahead after years of moaning, pissing on the ideas of the younger fans and picking out anyone who might have an interesting proposal. Not to mention seeing the results first hand of what these proposed ideas bring.

I think it was to patronise anyone who isn't masturbating continuously over videos of ultras on youtube, tell everyone how crap english supporters are and smugly dismiss any attempt to change this as 'a bit naff'. Cheers though.

We sit around a table made of sausages drinking jugs of Pils whilst laughing about ze English und how crap zey are!

Come off it.

They've sold the idea that they've invented non-league football, affordable for those who can no longer afford OT ticket prices. Most of them weren't regulars anyway and have local league/non-league clubs on their doorsteps that have been doing what they think they've invented for 100 + years.

Ho-hey, José.

I'm talking about their form of fan support at matches, not who they are or what they've portrayed themselves doing.

As much as I agree with you, it isn't what I was getting at.

Edited by GuyGermanLatic

For what its worth I think the problem at Latics the moment is that the fans are not really united behind the team or any particular cause.

In times of need the atmosphere can still be good like the JPT semi final last year. It is times like this that something is more likely to catch on.

To be honest I dont think we even have to copy the Europeans. If the club designated a section of the RRE or Chaddy to "singing" and were shall we say "lenient" towards standing, I think you would soon get all the singers together and the atmosphere would be much better at every match.

These things are never going to happen though so there is not really any point discussing or making suggestions :(

Kids, women and the elderly join in (yes, these barriers sadly still exist in 2013). Can we do that? We scrape the barrel. They can inspire and we can barely get an attendance unless we're forced to play a Premier League team - and even some of those tickets when to Liverpool fans in the Oldham stands!

I agree we need to make more noise at BP but in your post you're implying that it's the adults who sing at home games.

It isn't them, it's the kids who sing. Probably because we (us under 18's) haven't experienced any success or standing atmosphere at Boundary Park, or not very often so we're used to it. It must be utterly depressing to be an adult Latics fan that has experienced good times and then looking out upon BP with a gaping whole where a stand used to be and hearing nothing but moans and the sound of opposition fans cheering.

It's fantastic to promote the idea of an Ultra or a sect of fans that are prepared to sing all game but you need to have something to sing about and a large number of people to sing. Neither of these things happen at the moment.

What gets me is this attitude (not just you) of appearing to feel offended at having to wait for Latics fans to sing. It only needs one person to start it and there are many willing to join in. Try starting it.

I've sat in both the Chaddy and RRE this season (pay on the day every game fan) and have tried to get songs going in the Chaddy was like trying to teach PD tactics. Thoroughly unproductive. Also, the RRE has a very limited amount of fans that are prepared to sing.

We tried to get OWTB going after the 3rd goal v Doncaster at home, what a fantastic time to start a song. Not in the eyes of the fans in the Chaddy.

I agree we need to make more noise at BP but in your post you're implying that it's the adults who sing at home games.

It isn't them, it's the kids who sing. Probably because we (us under 18's) haven't experienced any success or standing atmosphere at Boundary Park, or not very often so we're used to it. It must be utterly depressing to be an adult Latics fan that has experienced good times and then looking out upon BP with a gaping whole where a stand used to be and hearing nothing but moans and the sound of opposition fans cheering.

It's fantastic to promote the idea of an Ultra or a sect of fans that are prepared to sing all game but you need to have something to sing about and a large number of people to sing. Neither of these things happen at the moment.

I was more implying kids-kids as opposed to the 12-17 age group - which is a big part of the singing group, you're right.

I guess going ahead with the Facebook page set up, getting a bit more organisation grounded and official support from the club would be the steps to really seeing this go ahead.

you do what?!

Scheiße! We've been found it!

Edited by GuyGermanLatic

I was more implying kids-kids as opposed to the 12-17 age group - which is a big part of the singing group, you're right.

I guess going ahead with the Facebook page set up, getting a bit more organisation grounded and official support from the club would be the steps to really seeing this go ahead.

Scheiße! We've been found it!

Facebook group would be a good idea.

I seem to remember a lad made an Oldham Ultras banner which got removed instantly by a steward in the RRE. You don't get anything done with dickheads like that stewarding.

I've sat in both the Chaddy and RRE this season (pay on the day every game fan) and have tried to get songs going in the Chaddy was like trying to teach PD tactics. Thoroughly unproductive. Also, the RRE has a very limited amount of fans that are prepared to sing.

We tried to get OWTB going after the 3rd goal v Doncaster at home, what a fantastic time to start a song. Not in the eyes of the fans in the Chaddy.

I :applause1: your efforts. If at first you don't succeed....the Rome Mill wasn't built in a day!

I was in the Chaddy end for the Brentford match and there was more people moaning about fans coming for the vouchers than there was supporting Latics which is sad.