IP Address Query

sjk2008

Right, i've been banned from a gaming website as they have accused me of creating two accounts for myself when infact one was a mate.

Basically, I went round to my mates on sunday to watch the two big matches and connected to his sky router so i could access the net. anyway, he asked if he could use my laptop to check his gaming account. Anyway, the next day, it turned out they banned both accounts saying it was because they 'both belonged to me'.

Apparently although I was connected to his internet at his house, when they ran an IP check, it came up with my IP.

So, how can it look like were both on my IP address when I have connected to my mates Sky router using his Sky network password at his house?

they are saying if this was the case, then it wouls show up with my mates IP

Thanks

Curiosity.

They're talking bollocks anyway. If you were connected to your mate's router, the IP address would be the one assigned by Sky. Did he just check his account? Did he post anything? Did you do either of those on your own account?

Curiosity.

They're talking bollocks anyway. If you were connected to your mate's router, the IP address would be the one assigned by Sky. Did he just check his account? Did he post anything? Did you do either of those on your own account?

Yeah he checked his account as thats how they knew he was online.

If you both use the same ISP it is possible that you had the same IP. If your ISP issues IP addresses dynamically (most of them do) then it is possible that your last IP was then issued to your mate. The chances of this are slim though.

The communality is the MAC address of your laptop, this is a unique hexadecimal number, the betting website could see that both accounts had been accessed from the same MAC address, this isn't unlikely as people do share computers at both home and work/ university.

To be fair, it sounds like they are talking out of their hat.

No, I didnt comment at all. So to conclude.....

My laptop

His House

His Sky Router

His gaming account on my computer.

Yet MY IP? (This is the kicker as they all think if the above 4 points are true, it should be HIS IP).