Photo
- - - - -

Capello/Terry

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Captaincy (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Terry have been sacked?

1. Yes (23 votes [62.16%])

Percentage of vote: 62.16%

2. No (14 votes [37.84%])

Percentage of vote: 37.84%

Who should have taken the decision?

1. Capello (12 votes [32.43%])

Percentage of vote: 32.43%

2. The FA (5 votes [13.51%])

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

3. Joint decision (20 votes [54.05%])

Percentage of vote: 54.05%

Who should now be the captain?

1. Gerrard (10 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

2. Parker (11 votes [29.73%])

Percentage of vote: 29.73%

3. Hart (7 votes [18.92%])

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

4. Ferdinand (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Lampard (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

6. Rooney (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

7. Terry should be reinstated (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

8. Other (4 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

Should Terry go to Euro 2012?

1. Yes (12 votes [32.43%])

Percentage of vote: 32.43%

2. No (25 votes [67.57%])

Percentage of vote: 67.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 jsslatic

jsslatic

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,104 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

My take on this is that the decision should have been Capello's in the first place and not the FA's - why pay someone £6m a year and not allow him to take and live by his own decisions. Good on him for speaking up - he's been completely undermined.

Please don't let this turn into a thread about how England are rubbish/overhyped/boring etc.

Edited by jsslatic, 07 February 2012 - 02:34 PM.

GATLEY GORILLAS - OWTB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPIONS 2010/11
GATLEY GORILLAS - OWTB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPIONS 2011/12

#2 opinions4u

opinions4u

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,776 posts
  • Team:Oldham Athletic

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

Yes, he should have been relieved of the captaincy.

Capello should have been the one to take the decision.

Capello should have kept his gob shut once it was taken out of his hands.

No, Terry shouldn't go to the Euros. Mainly because he's not good enough. Although 15 or 16 others will go who also fit in to that category.
Shop online via the PlayerShare WebShop link below and Latics benefit:

http://www.easyfundr...ticsplayershare

#3 Crusoe

Crusoe

Craig Fleming

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Yes, he should have been relieved of the captaincy.

It should have been a joint decision, but in the event of disagreement the FA should have the final say. Capello is paid for results so of course he's going to stand up for players he thinks will help; by definition his role involves thinking short term, and the FA have to see the bigger picture and judge the impact to the reputation of the England team.

I don't have a strong view on who should be captain — I voted Parker only as he combines a solid appearance record and reasonable experience (Gerrard is still recovering from injury).

And Terry should not go to the finals, but not because of the upcoming trial. He shouldn't go because he's not in great form, and secondarily because it may cause more disharmony in the squad.

#4 palmer1

palmer1

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

He should never have been captain again in the first place

innocent until proven guilty! its the law and should have been dealt with in that fashion

The FA should have spoken to Cappelo first

and no he shouldnt be at the Euros's

Hart is the youngest yes, but he is not injury prone and likley to play at the very top level and be first name on the team sheet for the next 10 years- obvious choice for new captain either way

surley Cappelo breached his contract when he spoke on Italian TV, either way he should have kept his mouth shut!

maybe one of the questions should be, should Cappelo be going to the Euros? personally i dont think it will make any difference

#5 GlossopLatic

GlossopLatic

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

On the principle that you are innocent till proven guilty then I don't think he should have been sacked

He's good but far from indispensible he got torn to pieces by the Germans in the last world cup and it should have been Capello's decision he has been undermined. Capello should consult the other memebers of the squad before he decides if he goes or not in confidence and if any other players feel uncomfortable then he shouldn't, go if they back him unanimously then he goes.

Without turning it into the how england are rubbish/boring/etc this is going to run and run in the media and will not help Englands plight one little bit it would helped everyone if this was to be sorted before the euros. Ive gone for Gerrard to be Captain on current form but would happily give it Parker if not the only 2 candidates worth considering.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has

#6 leeslover

leeslover

John Sheridan

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,765 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:52 AM

Capello isn't responsible for the image of FA. Although it's sometimes hard to tell if anyone is, they are well within their rights not to have Terry as a public representative while all this is going on. and he's a colossal bellend
"The NUM leadership wanted to run the country, but the country didn't want to be run by the NUM, so it had to be tackled." Mr Tulsehill on Mrs Thatcher's role as the saviour of British Democracy

#7 OldhamSheridan

OldhamSheridan

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

Colossal bellend he may be, but those saying he should not go due to ability or form need to look at other centre backs able to play for England.

Like it or not, he's nigh on first on the teamsheet.

#8 slystallone

slystallone

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

Colossal bellend he may be, but those saying he should not go due to ability or form need to look at other centre backs able to play for England.

Like it or not, he's nigh on first on the teamsheet.

I disagree & don't think he is at all.

He isn't a ball-playing defender. He lacks pace. His form this season is average to poor and personality wise; he's a grade A fuck-tard.

When fit; I rate Gary Cahill, Phil Jagielka & Michael Dawson as better CB's than Terry. Heck, I'd even take a buggered kneed & half fit Ledley King over him.
Cahill & Jagielka have the pace needed to cope with the very top forwards in the world, and whilst Dawson isn't rapid - he is still quicker over the turf than Terry. All 3 of those are more comfortable on the ball than Terry, especially Jagielka who has played 4 or 5 seasons as a Central Midfielder. All 3 still have the never say die attitude & body on the line mentality that Terry is famed for, and none of them have drunken 9/11 mocking, team-mate's girlfriend shagging or racism incidents in their back-catalogue of feck-up's.

Terry is the focal point of all that is wrong / has been wrong with the National Side. I want him nowhere near the side; jointly to do with ability & personality.

As for Captain, The only real chioce for me is Scott Parker IMO. And that in itself shows how fecked we are!
“Rambo isn't violent. I see Rambo as a philanthropist.”

Sylvester Stallone

#9 OldhamSheridan

OldhamSheridan

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

Okay.

Managers that have picked John Terry: Eriksson, McClaren, Capello, Villas Boas, Mourinho, Hiddink, Grant, Ranieri.
Managers who have not picked John Terry: Stallone.

I can't think any of them don't think of him as a dickhead, but let's not let that cloud over his actual footballing ability, which is up their with our best. Whether that is very good, is another matter.

#10 Crusoe

Crusoe

Craig Fleming

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

I don't think anyone would say he's never been any good, just that he isn't international class at the moment.

#11 slystallone

slystallone

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

I don't think anyone would say he's never been any good, just that he isn't international class at the moment.

What he said /\

His time has been & gone - just like 3/4's of the bloody squad.
He isn't the player he was 5/6/7 years ago. And lets be honest here; even at his absolute best, he was found out to be not in the world-class bracket.

Now as OldhamSheridan's stating the bleeding obvious post clearly shows, plenty of managers have picked & continue to pick him. I would say that at club level; a large chunk of that is down to the "Mr Chelsea" persona he's made for himself, I doubt a new (& young) manager like Villas-Boas would want to alienate the fans straight away by dropping or selling Terry. That status though has been build up over a long period of years. I would wager if Chelsea were to sign the John Terry of today's ability, the fans would be so taken with him.

He's past it. The whole England team is past it.
Germany had a similar situation a few years back. They did the correct thing and stopped picking players on what they had done, and moved to a selection of players who were producing in the here & now; and also supplemented them with real prospects from the successful U21 side. That re-modelled side was the one that ripped our group of has been's & past it's a new asshole at the last tournament.

Terry, on current form, shouldn't make the starting X1. On that basis alone, how can he be Captain? Add into his shite form all his off-field crap; and how anyone can think he should be Captain of the side is just beyond me.
But, as OldhamSheridan says, I'm no manager eh?

Edited by slystallone, 08 February 2012 - 05:19 PM.

“Rambo isn't violent. I see Rambo as a philanthropist.”

Sylvester Stallone

#12 leeslover

leeslover

John Sheridan

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,765 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

He can carry his limitations in the premiership but i wonder if all those managers would have picked him to play in Spain or Italy?
"The NUM leadership wanted to run the country, but the country didn't want to be run by the NUM, so it had to be tackled." Mr Tulsehill on Mrs Thatcher's role as the saviour of British Democracy

#13 leeslover

leeslover

John Sheridan

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,765 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

But, as OldhamSheridan says, I'm no manager eh?

Don't beat yourself up for it, not many goalkeepers make it as managers

#14 Oafc88

Oafc88

Gunnar Halle

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

He's only gone an resigned! See ya Capello!

Oh Lancy Lancy, Lancy Lancy Lancy Lancy LANCASHIRE!!!!!!!

#15 leeslover

leeslover

John Sheridan

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,765 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

He's only gone an resigned! See ya Capello!

Win-win!

#16 Diego_Sideburns

Diego_Sideburns

Diego Cervero

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,196 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

What oafc88 said.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns, 08 February 2012 - 07:32 PM.

"The problem with social media, which is so accessible, is that people can write completely untrue things on there — and other users believe it."

Alan Hardy, Oldham Chronicle 31st May 2011.

#17 jsslatic

jsslatic

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,104 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Completely undermined, good on him.
GATLEY GORILLAS - OWTB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPIONS 2010/11
GATLEY GORILLAS - OWTB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPIONS 2011/12

#18 boboafc

boboafc

Maurice Whittle

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,209 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

jose mourinho in the running to take over
Posted Image

#19 Crusoe

Crusoe

Craig Fleming

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Can't see Mourinho wanting it. Could be wrong, of course, but why would he give up control of transfers, day-to-day involvement and the chance to play mind games all the time for a few friendlies and lovely meetings with the FA.

#20 leeslover

leeslover

John Sheridan

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,765 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

Completely undermined, good on him.

If the top bosses at my place suspended someone from my team from part of their responsibilities for the sake of the company's reputation, and I went to the Press and called them cunts for it, I dare say I would be invited to, "resign," as well.