england thoughts

Harry Redknapp, by his own admission, is 'not a tactics man'. Capello gets pilloried in the press for not being up the the job; he's won Serie A six times, La Liga twice, the European Cup, Super Cup etc etc. Redknapp has won the FA cup once and got Bournemouth promoted when the cup final was still broadcast in black and white.

The England team is not something to be proud of. Not while players like Steven Gerrard, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney and, to a lesser extent, Joey Barton are anywhere near it. A shameful group of players who could well be led to the world's second most prestigious international tournament by a man who has the tactical nous of a garden snail.

The sooner England get knocked out this summer the better, so we can all get on with watching some decent football.

Ashley Cole is a complete :censored: off the pitch, but on it has been Englands best and most consistent players for years. Probably explains in part why we have been :censored:e when our best player has been at left back.

That absolute farce of a World Cup display pretty much killed my interest in the National team. Pathetic.

I was talking to a lad at work about this and properly got on my high horse. I've not been a fan of Capello for a while, the world cup was a shambles and we've had some very iffy results against teams we should have put away, yes there are no easy games at this level.. yadda yadda but with the players at our disposal we shouldn't be struggling against some of the former USSR teams as we have done.

Our "golden generation" wouldn't trouble cash for gold much, most of them are also despicable human beings, really nasty pieces of work but it is the manager's job to get the best out of them and Capello has failed to do this. A good manager can make a team of average players play better than the sum of the parts. A bad manager fails to do this and for me, this is what Capello (and Sven) did.

I really hope Harry doesn't get the job, international football is about tactics and I don't think Harry has the tactical nouse. Granted half the players haven't either but I would hope the man in charge had this ability.

Ashley Cole is a complete :censored: off the pitch, but on it has been Englands best and most consistent players for years. Probably explains in part why we have been :censored:e when our best player has been at left back.

That absolute farce of a World Cup display pretty much killed my interest in the National team. Pathetic.

And he gets boooo'd!!!! Muppets.

First and foremost, the new England manager needs to get a grip on the dressing room. Capello was supposed to do that, but he ended up getting shoved around by the likes of Terry (I'm at the World Cup and I'm bored) and Rooney, who was scheduled to go to Euro 2012 even though he can't play till we're out of the competition.

The new manager basically needs to refuse to pick anyone who fails to do exactly what he says. We'll lose some good players, and some not-so-good ones, but we'll regain discipline and trust, without which you're going precisely nowhere at international level.

Only O'Neill and Redknapp have the skills and stature to pull that off. Stuart Pearce's qualifications (Englishness and "passion") are similar to those of millions of other people. He'd be a disaster.

First and foremost, the new England manager needs to get a grip on the dressing room. Capello was supposed to do that, but he ended up getting shoved around by the likes of Terry (I'm at the World Cup and I'm bored) and Rooney, who was scheduled to go to Euro 2012 even though he can't play till we're out of the competition.

The new manager basically needs to refuse to pick anyone who fails to do exactly what he says. We'll lose some good players, and some not-so-good ones, but we'll regain discipline and trust, without which you're going precisely nowhere at international level.

Only O'Neill and Redknapp have the skills and stature to pull that off. Stuart Pearce's qualifications (Englishness and "passion") are similar to those of millions of other people. He'd be a disaster.

Only one man for me - step forward Neil Warnock. :peepwall:

The step from Club to International manager (hmm, Club International, that takes me back...) is a big one, many managers struggle to adjust from being on the training pitch every day indulging in the "banter" to not having the players for months on end. Many of them go a bit doolally and come up with the inverted christmas tree formation or convince themselves that the 2nd choice left back can more than handle that difficult support striker role.

I can see Redknapp getting this, he'll be driving round London with his window open muttering "You know, that Carlton Palmer, triffic lad, triffic player..." If he does get it and gets to stay at Spurs till the end of the season he has less time to go mad before the Euros but it is after that where he'll struggle. If he does leave Spurs to be England manager full time he'll have 2 years to go "Full Clough" before the world cup.

I can't see him going on after that world cup either and he'd go hell for leather trying to win the thing knowing that he is out of there after Brazil, plus he is getting on a bit. I'd like to see a longer term appointment, someone who would go into the FA and stir things up a bit, a bit like Clough would have done. That FA board is full of people who have made a good living out of the game whilst putting very little back in. We've got the shiny new wembley and the debt that came with it but the training and development centre is still just some mud with footings down. Arse about face if you ask me.

Sad thing is, I can't think of a suitable candidate who I would give the job to if it was down to me. All the top, top British managers are either Scottish or too inexperienced. There is no way a Scot would manager England, the press wouldn't have it either. Harry is only in this position as Spurs took a punt on him after that Spanish bloke failed there. He had a great pedigree in Spain but failed miserably over here, that highlighted the big clubs preferring to go for the foreign managers choking off the supply of English managers and giving them a chance to prove themselves at a big club whilst getting the European experience. It also reduces the vacancies lower down the pyramid for new managers to come in and learn the ropes.

Grayson at Leeds was a great appointment, he'd done well at the lashers and deserved a decent crack at it, if Bates wasn't such a prat they could well have been back in the prem before too long and Grayson would be nicely poised to step up. Now Bates will probably go for "experience" "foreign" or put his mate Warnock in closing off progression for young English managers. Powell is doing a decent job at Charlton, if he gets them up this season and does well in the Championship then he could well get a bigger job. Sadly, I can't see his move after that being to one of the big boys. Despite all his faults, Clark over the hill could well be in this category too, say he gets them up, then top 6 the season after, follows it up the season after that and finishes even higher, he'd still be over looked for Carlos Kickaball's dad.

The game is rotten at the core, kids start off playing on dog-dirt infested swamps before being snapped up by the prem's academies, big lads at the front and back, bypass the midfield, must win the game! Most of them are booted out as the way to the first team is blocked by overpaid players that the team has to carry as UEFA & FIFA enforce the stupid transfer window. Then they end up playing somewhere like us, must be hard to get yourself up for a game in a 3 sided wind tunnel when you've played Coca-Cola cup football in some of the best stadia in the land. But they eek out a career in the provinces before taking the UEFA coaching badges on day release from Grimsby before some chairman wants a cheap manager as season ticket sales have dropped off a cliff. They start to do well, get a side playing attractive passing football and they move on to their next job at a bigger club that's fallen on hard financial times due to mismanagement. The fans don't take to them as they wanted a "name", not Billy Grimshaw who has only managed Wycombe. First bad run they have, season ticket sales fall off a cliff, resentment grows and they are out on their ear. The apply for any job going and finally get the Barnet job and try to start again.

Or they get lucky and it goes well at the bigger club, get promoted into the Prem after having a decent cup run too, by Easter in the Prem "He's taken us as far as he can, if we don't do something now we'll be for the drop." Despite playing teams all year with budgets twice the size of his own as the chairman wanted to take some money as reward for his troubles and has one eye on the season after, "We weren't ready to up that year, we'll take the parachute money and have a proper stab at it when we get promoted again."

If they survive all that, Billy Grimshaw with 2 league 2 winners medals as a player, UEFA badged to the nines, a couple of promotions, a cup semi-final defeat on pens as a manager under his belt and has established Doncaster as a mid table prem team is in the frame for the Liverpool job when Suarez, their now legendary manager suffers a freak accident on his boat, El Crystal Nacht. Do the Liverpool board go for Grimshaw or Kickaball snr?

...and, lets be really honest, we've spent 40 years being technically inferior to Germany, Spain, Brazil, Holland etc. Sadly, we.can't face that basic fact.

What makes me laugh is the behaviour of the press. They always put them up to knock them down, unless they win 5-0 every game. I wonder if he gets more stick than than the prime minister. Is it a part of the capitalism defence system??? A way of distracting the anger of the masses from the misery created by a morally corrupt economic system.

Just a thought....

...and, lets be really honest, we've spent 40 years being technically inferior to Germany, Spain, Brazil, Holland etc. Sadly, we.can't face that basic fact.

What makes me laugh is the behaviour of the press. They always put them up to knock them down, unless they win 5-0 every game. I wonder if he gets more stick than than the prime minister. Is it a part of the capitalism defence system??? A way of distracting the anger of the masses from the misery created by a morally corrupt economic system.

Just a thought....

:lol:

No its just we dont produce enough good coaches. The Spanish, Germans, and the dutch have far moe uefa pro qualifed coaches which means more of them go onto become managers.

I actually think Harry Redknapp will be alright he wont win us any tournaments but like Terry venables will have the players onside and will be popular with the fans and media. But we wont win any tournaments until we catch up and go past the Spanish and Germans in the coaching department which maybe a while off yet.

Harry Redknapp, by his own admission, is 'not a tactics man'. Capello gets pilloried in the press for not being up the the job; he's won Serie A six times, La Liga twice, the European Cup, Super Cup etc etc. Redknapp has won the FA cup once and got Bournemouth promoted when the cup final was still broadcast in black and white.

The England team is not something to be proud of. Not while players like Steven Gerrard, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney and, to a lesser extent, Joey Barton are anywhere near it. A shameful group of players who could well be led to the world's second most prestigious international tournament by a man who has the tactical nous of a garden snail.

The sooner England get knocked out this summer the better, so we can all get on with watching some decent football.

Not a dig at you personally, just a general observation : there seems to be this wildly-held opinion these days that many England footballers have gone 'bad' and the England players of yesteryear were saintly in comparison... it's a load of :censored:e. I'm not defending any footballer who disgraces himself, but put any England side right back to the formation in the 1800s under the same intense media/paparazzi spotlight we have these days and you will uncover all manner of naughtiness.

Not a dig at you personally, just a general observation : there seems to be this wildly-held opinion these days that many England footballers have gone 'bad' and the England players of yesteryear were saintly in comparison... it's a load of :censored:e. I'm not defending any footballer who disgraces himself, but put any England side right back to the formation in the 1800s under the same intense media/paparazzi spotlight we have these days and you will uncover all manner of naughtiness.

You are right but their inabiity to wise up to the situation really is dismal