#1 razza699

razza699

Filipe Morais

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,922 posts
  • Team:Oldham Athletic

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

From the rarely wrong and with a random picture of Newton outside a club he never actually got involved in..

http://www.oldham-ch...rs-warning-shot

#2 Diego_Sideburns

Diego_Sideburns

Diego Cervero

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,460 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

From the rarely wrong and with a random picture of Newton outside a club he never actually got involved in..

“I have spent a lot of time on the training ground ... we have to focus on making sure we do not get sucked into a relegation battle.

“We are extremely grateful for our core of around 4,000 fans who come to the games and give us great support.

“For a club like ours, there is always going to be a shortfall. The only way to get past that is for the directors to put money in, or through selling players. With having no games, it is difficult to put guys in the shop window.”

"The problem with social media, which is so accessible, is that people can write completely untrue things on there — and other users believe it."

Alan Hardy, Oldham Chronicle 31st May 2011.

#3 JoeP

JoeP

Earl Barrett

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

I have spent a lot of time on the training ground ... we have to focus on making sure we do not get sucked into a relegation battle.

“We are extremely grateful for our core of around 4,000 fans who come to the games and give us great support.

“For a club like ours, there is always going to be a shortfall. The only way to get past that is for the directors to put money in, or through selling players. With having no games, it is difficult to put guys in the shop window.”

Why has he been spending a lot of time on the training ground? Leave it to the professionals....

Don't think this interview will help matters - pointless with a slightly negative twinge.
OWTB Prediction League Pace-Setter 2012/2013...

#4 Diego_Sideburns

Diego_Sideburns

Diego Cervero

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,460 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

Why has he been spending a lot of time on the training ground? Leave it to the professionals....

Don't think this interview will help matters - pointless with a slightly negative twinge.

In another article in tonight's Chron, Newton explains more.

Youth development

“Back in November, I joined in with two training sessions in a row on Fridays, with the players not selected in the matchday squad – players like DJ Bembo, Ryan Brooke and James Tarkowski.

...Brooke is currently out on loan at AFC Telford but despite the best efforts of Dickov, no other fringe player has been taken on for similar spells by lower and non-league clubs to gain experience.

If a youth team player makes it to the first team and stays there, then we have a better chance of moving him on. We need to get our average up. Maybe that means more intensive coaching of those players or a different structure – I am not sure. But it needs to be looked at.”

"The problem with social media, which is so accessible, is that people can write completely untrue things on there — and other users believe it."

Alan Hardy, Oldham Chronicle 31st May 2011.

#5 opinions4u

opinions4u

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,433 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

So he's done a good job of un-nerving the yoofs then.

We're overdue a Corney outburst!
Shop online via the PlayerShare WebShop link below and Latics benefit:

http://www.easyfundr...ticsplayershare

#6 GlossopLatic

GlossopLatic

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

You do worry when you see Mike Newton coming out with comments like this. If it was just a case of every now and then popping down the training ground just to see how they are getting on and standing back you wouldn't be to bothered. But he openly says he joins in with the sessions like hes trying to play out somekind of weird fantasy that he is capable of being a football manager. If he is taking part in training what is he actually contributing? It may ofcourse be all very harmless but, it just seems like a very weird situation to have a club director with no professional experience of this sort of thing wanting to be so involved someone who I thought was brought back with the intention of bringing in new investment.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has

#7 Forte_Baby

Forte_Baby

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

Yes results must improve but there is no need for him to be anywhere near the training pitch or any pitch other than matchdays in the stand.

#8 RobOAFC

RobOAFC

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Mike, stay away from the training pitch and leave the training of the players to those are paid to do it.

#9 Gaz_Oafc

Gaz_Oafc

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

Exactly what he did in his first spell with us...

The guy thinks he's playin football manager!

#10 dazlatic

dazlatic

Les Pogliacomi

• OWTB Member
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Very unhelpful Mike...
Now go away
So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time.

#11 oafc_lover

oafc_lover

Gunnar Halle

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

Fuck off Mike go and stick your nose in someone else's team. Wouldn't mind if you were remotely sporting but you could do with losing a few stone you fat lump of interfering dog turd!

#12 dazlatic

dazlatic

Les Pogliacomi

• OWTB Member
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Come to think of it...

Kuqi's form dipped just as Newton arrived didn't it? Oh and consequently the form of the team.
I'm sure I am wrong!
So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time.

#13 oafcprozac

oafcprozac

John Sheridan

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,061 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Fuck off Mike go and stick your nose in someone else's team. Wouldn't mind if you were remotely sporting but you could do with losing a few stone you fat lump of interfering dog turd!

Yep, Fuck Off Newton stop trying to play football manager with my club. How about using some of your 'business acumen' to secure funding that will make inroads to the club's £1m losses this season. I mean what the fuck are you doing on the training ground?

Don't be surprised if you see this joker in the near future warming up in full kit, juggling a ball before volleying a ball into the Chaddy End goal, MIchael Knighton tried something similar at Man UNited in 1989…..he didn't have a pot to piss in either……..

I said when he arrived back on the scene he'd start interfering, and here we have it with his 'Rent a Quote' article….Corney I can understand but where the hell does he (MN) get off here? Newton wanted to keep Penney don't forget, then backed Penney's bitch Gray for the job……..

Edited by oafcprozac, 13 February 2012 - 09:58 PM.

7dmv.jpg

#14 lancy lad

lancy lad

Rick Holden

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

This guy is an egotistical prick!

Who the :censored: does he think he is?

He really worries me with his "I know everything about football" rants!

Do you're job in the boardroom and leave football matters to those who know what they are doing!

#15 Lookers_Carl

Lookers_Carl

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

Who the fuck does he think he is?

Do you're job in the boardroom and leave football matters to those who know what they are doing!

Whilst I have no doubts Dickov and Taggart would not have hesitated in telling him to sling his hook if they thought he was interfering or was a disruptive influence, a director training with the team on a regular basis is extremely unprofessional in my opinion.
Its not about how hard you can hit, but how much you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thats how winning is done.

Sly Stallone in Rocky Balboa (2006)

#16 oafcprozac

oafcprozac

John Sheridan

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,061 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

Who the fuck does he think he is?

Earlier Thread on MIke 'Bassett' Newton

Looks like our earlier fears were well founded re: MIke 'Bassett' Newton's return….

7dmv.jpg

#17 Oafc88

Oafc88

Gunnar Halle

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

“I have spent a lot of time on the training ground ... we have to focus on making sure we do not get sucked into a relegation battle.

What a twat he is! It shows the kind of mindset he's got that he considers this lack of games a missed chance to get some players sold rather than a boring lull. Yes we are what is now probably considered a 'selling' club and need to sell players in order to survive but it's not the be all and end all of why we play football in the first fecking place and go to watch.

Knowing that people from the club read this message board, could you please tell Mike to get himself off the training ground and try securing some investment instead? Considering we assume that's what he was brought here to do rather than re-enact a football managers sim. Maybe then when we have no games we won't have to worry so much about 'selling' players.

Mini rant over.

Oh Lancy Lancy, Lancy Lancy Lancy Lancy LANCASHIRE!!!!!!!

#18 Lukers1

Lukers1

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

His quote..."MIKE NEWTON: "we have people who are resilient and possess technical skill."

What the fuck does he know about football, what a prick, what the fuck is he on about.

No one cares what your thoughts are about the footballing staff. Take your self opinionated shit back to the States and do your day job, what a prize one twat.

He also looks a bit like Phil Woolas..

Good night

#19 welshgaz

welshgaz

Earl Barrett

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

I quite enjoyed the article didn't really think it would create an over reaction like this.

#20 opinions4u

opinions4u

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,433 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

I quite enjoyed the article didn't really think it would create an over reaction like this.

Latics is a selling club. Probably always has been. I don't think anybody can deny that.

But what Newton's done here is to interfere in selection policy. Not on discipliniary / image grounds like the FA with Terry. But simply to tell Dickov he should play more youths so that we can sell them for a profit.

There is a reasonable debate to be had between loan players and bringing the youths through. Tarkowski looks like a success of the latter. But then Simpson is a success of the former. I just don't think it's a debate that a director of the football club should be having through the press. If there are financial realities that need addressing I think Dickov's grown up enough and intelligent enough to have those conversations behind closed doors. It's not as if he was shy in pushing Penney's players out of the door when he had to.

The manager should be responsible for picking the team from a squad built within the obvious financial constraints that we have. Newton has actually undermined Oldham Athletic as a potential place for a youth player to consider playing. "We'll get you first team football and flog you as quickly as possible".

Mellor, Winchester, Tarkowski, Millar, Burns ... it's not as if Dickov's been afraid to use them. But you can also destroy a youngster by playing him too much (especially if its an out of position left back).

I'm with the majority on here. Newton should piss off from the training ground, keep his nose out of team selection policies and go and find the investors that we need to redevelop the ground and start generating these new off-field income streams that we've been promised for the last decade.
Shop online via the PlayerShare WebShop link below and Latics benefit:

http://www.easyfundr...ticsplayershare