Result must improve

From the rarely wrong and with a random picture of Newton outside a club he never actually got involved in..

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/66592/directors-warning-shot

“I have spent a lot of time on the training ground ... we have to focus on making sure we do not get sucked into a relegation battle.

“We are extremely grateful for our core of around 4,000 fans who come to the games and give us great support.

“For a club like ours, there is always going to be a shortfall. The only way to get past that is for the directors to put money in, or through selling players. With having no games, it is difficult to put guys in the shop window.”

I have spent a lot of time on the training ground ... we have to focus on making sure we do not get sucked into a relegation battle.

“We are extremely grateful for our core of around 4,000 fans who come to the games and give us great support.

“For a club like ours, there is always going to be a shortfall. The only way to get past that is for the directors to put money in, or through selling players. With having no games, it is difficult to put guys in the shop window.”

Why has he been spending a lot of time on the training ground? Leave it to the professionals....

Don't think this interview will help matters - pointless with a slightly negative twinge.

Why has he been spending a lot of time on the training ground? Leave it to the professionals....

Don't think this interview will help matters - pointless with a slightly negative twinge.

In another article in tonight's Chron, Newton explains more.

Youth development

“Back in November, I joined in with two training sessions in a row on Fridays, with the players not selected in the matchday squad – players like DJ Bembo, Ryan Brooke and James Tarkowski.

...Brooke is currently out on loan at AFC Telford but despite the best efforts of Dickov, no other fringe player has been taken on for similar spells by lower and non-league clubs to gain experience.

If a youth team player makes it to the first team and stays there, then we have a better chance of moving him on. We need to get our average up. Maybe that means more intensive coaching of those players or a different structure – I am not sure. But it needs to be looked at.”

You do worry when you see Mike Newton coming out with comments like this. If it was just a case of every now and then popping down the training ground just to see how they are getting on and standing back you wouldn't be to bothered. But he openly says he joins in with the sessions like hes trying to play out somekind of weird fantasy that he is capable of being a football manager. If he is taking part in training what is he actually contributing? It may ofcourse be all very harmless but, it just seems like a very weird situation to have a club director with no professional experience of this sort of thing wanting to be so involved someone who I thought was brought back with the intention of bringing in new investment.

:censored: off Mike go and stick your nose in someone else's team. Wouldn't mind if you were remotely sporting but you could do with losing a few stone you fat lump of interfering dog turd!

Yep, :censored: Off Newton stop trying to play football manager with my club. How about using some of your 'business acumen' to secure funding that will make inroads to the club's £1m losses this season. I mean what the :censored: are you doing on the training ground?

Don't be surprised if you see this joker in the near future warming up in full kit, juggling a ball before volleying a ball into the Chaddy End goal, MIchael Knighton tried something similar at Man UNited in 1989…..he didn't have a pot to piss in either……..

I said when he arrived back on the scene he'd start interfering, and here we have it with his 'Rent a Quote' article….Corney I can understand but where the hell does he (MN) get off here? Newton wanted to keep Penney don't forget, then backed Penney's bitch Gray for the job……..

Edited by oafcprozac

This guy is an egotistical prick!

Who the :censored: does he think he is?

He really worries me with his "I know everything about football" rants!

Do you're job in the boardroom and leave football matters to those who know what they are doing!

Whilst I have no doubts Dickov and Taggart would not have hesitated in telling him to sling his hook if they thought he was interfering or was a disruptive influence, a director training with the team on a regular basis is extremely unprofessional in my opinion.

This guy is an egotistical prick!

Who the :censored: does he think he is?

He really worries me with his "I know everything about football" rants!

Do you're job in the boardroom and leave football matters to those who know what they are doing!

Earlier Thread on MIke 'Bassett' Newton

Looks like our earlier fears were well founded re: MIke 'Bassett' Newton's return….

“I have spent a lot of time on the training ground ... we have to focus on making sure we do not get sucked into a relegation battle.

What a :censored: he is! It shows the kind of mindset he's got that he considers this lack of games a missed chance to get some players sold rather than a boring lull. Yes we are what is now probably considered a 'selling' club and need to sell players in order to survive but it's not the be all and end all of why we play football in the first fecking place and go to watch.

Knowing that people from the club read this message board, could you please tell Mike to get himself off the training ground and try securing some investment instead? Considering we assume that's what he was brought here to do rather than re-enact a football managers sim. Maybe then when we have no games we won't have to worry so much about 'selling' players.

Mini rant over.

From the rarely wrong and with a random picture of Newton outside a club he never actually got involved in..

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/66592/directors-warning-shot

His quote..."MIKE NEWTON: "we have people who are resilient and possess technical skill."

What the :censored: does he know about football, what a prick, what the :censored: is he on about.

No one cares what your thoughts are about the footballing staff. Take your self opinionated :censored: back to the States and do your day job, what a prize one :censored:.

He also looks a bit like Phil Woolas..

Good night

I quite enjoyed the article didn't really think it would create an over reaction like this.

Latics is a selling club. Probably always has been. I don't think anybody can deny that.

But what Newton's done here is to interfere in selection policy. Not on discipliniary / image grounds like the FA with Terry. But simply to tell Dickov he should play more youths so that we can sell them for a profit.

There is a reasonable debate to be had between loan players and bringing the youths through. Tarkowski looks like a success of the latter. But then Simpson is a success of the former. I just don't think it's a debate that a director of the football club should be having through the press. If there are financial realities that need addressing I think Dickov's grown up enough and intelligent enough to have those conversations behind closed doors. It's not as if he was shy in pushing Penney's players out of the door when he had to.

The manager should be responsible for picking the team from a squad built within the obvious financial constraints that we have. Newton has actually undermined Oldham Athletic as a potential place for a youth player to consider playing. "We'll get you first team football and flog you as quickly as possible".

Mellor, Winchester, Tarkowski, Millar, Burns ... it's not as if Dickov's been afraid to use them. But you can also destroy a youngster by playing him too much (especially if its an out of position left back).

I'm with the majority on here. Newton should piss off from the training ground, keep his nose out of team selection policies and go and find the investors that we need to redevelop the ground and start generating these new off-field income streams that we've been promised for the last decade.

I am probably in a minority in finding his honesty refreshing, we are Northerners and call it how it is after all.

How many people complain that their boss does not have a clue what they do, so I don;t have a major problem with him being ont he training pitch from time to time.

But his words are very ham fisted and lack class, you cannot come to any other conclusion but that SC is keeping him amused and keeping him sweet.

Of course, we have to contextualise, they may not be the whole statement that he made. It would not be the first time a journalist has used the more sensationalistic and left the context quote out of it. I am sure it was part of a much wider discussion, and that it merely centered on the fact we are a selling club and the games have had the effect of not enabling players to be seen at the end of the transfer window. He may have said some players may have gone out on loan if they had been playing. Not a lot wrong with that.

I don't think that it is all bad, some players will be happy to play for us knowing that it could lead onto bigger things being able to play. We get the benefit of that whilst they play,pleny of examples of that hapening.

That said I am a bit puzzled why the article has come out now, two weeks after the transfer window shut. It is focussing on more loans out?

Like most though, I just wish MN would be a bit more judicious with his words. And his first proclamations werre stadium related.

Edited by singe

Don't know what the fuss is about

Yes we are a selling club always have been ,

BUT you can't just put youth in the side with a hope to sell them .

They will get in the side IF they are good enough then IF good enough they will sell themselves.

Self fulfilling prophecy i think !!!!!!!!!

I'm inclined to agree with the last few posts.

It seems that some people are upset that he's said what's known already - we are a selling club. Unfortunately it's true and, unless we find a mad sugar daddy, and/or supporters come through the gates in bigger numbers we may have to sell more in the future. We've been quite lucky in recent years in that Eaves, Spencer and Philiskirk were all sold for decent fees even though they hadn't contributed greatly to the first team, so we didn't miss their impact. (Eardley we did.) But it won't always be like that.

If Dickov and Taggart thought he was interfering then they are strong enough to speak up. I don't get this assumption that he's doing something that isn't acceptable.

Yes, please find us investment Mike. That has to be your priority . But it's not the end of the world if he expresses a view ....

And, as is so often the case on here, the personal abuse of him says more about the posters than their target.

My issues with MIke Newton are the fact he has been hellbent over the last couple of years to get himself involved at a lower league club, this despite on a number of occasions failing to prove he has the resources and contacts to take that club forward. Rightly, questions were asked at Port Vale and despite an attempt to get fans onside through a public spat with the directors at Vale Park, he failed. The same thing happened at Stockport, despite their desperate situation they passed on his offer of investment. I have to be honest, it shows how desperate we have become as a club to bring him back on board. If he was investing significant amounts I could understand his desire to interfere, yet despite him being back at the club for over 5 months what exactly has he brought to the table?