Result must improve

My issues with MIke Newton are the fact he has been hellbent over the last couple of years to get himself involved at a lower league club, this despite on a number of occasions failing to prove he has the resources and contacts to take that club forward. Rightly, questions were asked at Port Vale and despite an attempt to get fans onside through a public spat with the directors at Vale Park, he failed. The same thing happened at Stockport, despite their desperate situation they passed on his offer of investment. I have to be honest, it shows how desperate we have become as a club to bring him back on board. If he was investing significant amounts I could understand his desire to interfere, yet despite him being back at the club for over 5 months what exactly has he brought to the table?

2x exercise bikes, click here.

Ian G.

Thanks for your input into footballing matters Mike,........though as a sidenote, may i be so bold as to ask a DIRECTOR - "What DIRECTION" off the field is the club going at the moment?

Is there an agreement that BP has to have football played on it until 2014...if so are we off in 2014???

Is there ANY investors remotely interested in a run down, 3 sided stadium, loss making football club.

Will we ever see BP with 4 stands, a clubhouse and executive boxes that are regularly filled?

Are we moving from BP?

When are next lot of houses going up on our beloved football ground?

Sorry to come across so pertinent, but it seems that we can all talk about all matters of the football club, when there are more pressing issues to be dealt with.

Thank you!!!

A compromise:

Mr Newton, find us some money to put into our club and you can take the occasional trip down to the training ground.

Otherwise stay away. You are a business man. Do us some business.

If we wanted people who aren't very good at football to be involved in the football side. We would invite the fans down.

Thanks for your input into footballing matters Mike,........though as a sidenote, may i be so bold as to ask a DIRECTOR - "What DIRECTION" off the field is the club going at the moment?

Is there an agreement that BP has to have football played on it until 2014...if so are we off in 2014???

Is there ANY investors remotely interested in a run down, 3 sided stadium, loss making football club.

Will we ever see BP with 4 stands, a clubhouse and executive boxes that are regularly filled?

Are we moving from BP?

Sorry to come across so pertinent, but it seems that we can all talk about all matters of the football club, when there are more pressing issues to be dealt with.

Thank you!!!

Absolutely!

Are we moving from BP?

Thank you!!!

Is there anywhere to move to?

I'm inclined to agree with the last few posts.

It seems that some people are upset that he's said what's known already - we are a selling club. Unfortunately it's true and, unless we find a mad sugar daddy, and/or supporters come through the gates in bigger numbers we may have to sell more in the future. We've been quite lucky in recent years in that Eaves, Spencer and Philiskirk were all sold for decent fees even though they hadn't contributed greatly to the first team, so we didn't miss their impact. (Eardley we did.) But it won't always be like that.

If Dickov and Taggart thought he was interfering then they are strong enough to speak up. I don't get this assumption that he's doing something that isn't acceptable.

Yes, please find us investment Mike. That has to be your priority . But it's not the end of the world if he expresses a view ....

And, as is so often the case on here, the personal abuse of him says more about the posters than their target.

Yep, cause everything is going just fine at Boundary Park isnt it.

I'm inclined to agree with the last few posts.

It seems that some people are upset that he's said what's known already - we are a selling club. Unfortunately it's true and, unless we find a mad sugar daddy, and/or supporters come through the gates in bigger numbers we may have to sell more in the future. We've been quite lucky in recent years in that Eaves, Spencer and Philiskirk were all sold for decent fees even though they hadn't contributed greatly to the first team, so we didn't miss their impact. (Eardley we did.) But it won't always be like that.

If Dickov and Taggart thought he was interfering then they are strong enough to speak up. I don't get this assumption that he's doing something that isn't acceptable.

Yes, please find us investment Mike. That has to be your priority . But it's not the end of the world if he expresses a view ....

And, as is so often the case on here, the personal abuse of him says more about the posters than their target.

Nor is it professional as a director to train with the players, or express a view in public regarding first team/youth team affairs that could be seen as publcally undermining the way the first team management and youth team management conduct their business.

My issues with MIke Newton are the fact he has been hellbent over the last couple of years to get himself involved at a lower league club, this despite on a number of occasions failing to prove he has the resources and contacts to take that club forward. Rightly, questions were asked at Port Vale and despite an attempt to get fans onside through a public spat with the directors at Vale Park, he failed. The same thing happened at Stockport, despite their desperate situation they passed on his offer of investment. I have to be honest, it shows how desperate we have become as a club to bring him back on board. If he was investing significant amounts I could understand his desire to interfere, yet despite him being back at the club for over 5 months what exactly has he brought to the table?

Mike Newton ceases Stockport County interest

Nor is it professional as a director to train with the players, or express a view in public regarding first team/youth team affairs that could be seen as publcally undermining the way the first team management and youth team management conduct their business.

Why is it not professional?

Having read the article a few times, I am yet to read the bit when he undermimed the manager.

Having read the article a few times, I am yet to read the bit when he undermimed the manager.

True Jim, he's just stated the reality of the current situation.

I do wonder though if Mike will be taking over from SC after this season ?

Edited by BP1960

The thing that makes me uncomfortable with Mike Newton (having never met the guy) is his over confidence with his position in the club. I think people don't know how trustworthy he is and why he and Corney fell out in the previous time he was here. I'd like to see him come on OWTB and do a question-answer topic with the fans to create an open relationship with the supporters. If he's comfortable going on the training ground with the players then why not come on here?

He might be a really nice guy who has some fantastic idea's as to running the club better, or he might be a crafty swine who just wants to make a quick buck. I think clarity on his situation is needed.

A compromise:

Mr Newton, find us some money to put into our club and you can take the occasional trip down to the training ground.

Otherwise stay away. You are a business man. Do us some business.

If we wanted people who aren't very good at football to be involved in the football side. We would invite the fans down.

Very good RR, like it.

The thing that makes me uncomfortable with Mike Newton (having never met the guy) is his over confidence with his position in the club. I think people don't know how trustworthy he is and why he and Corney fell out in the previous time he was here. I'd like to see him come on OWTB and do a question-answer topic with the fans to create an open relationship with the supporters. If he's comfortable going on the training ground with the players then why not come on here?

He might be a really nice guy who has some fantastic idea's as to running the club better, or he might be a crafty swine who just wants to make a quick buck. I think clarity on his situation is needed.

I think SC has said in the past he wouldn't do anything that's not right for the club, bringing back Mike Newton suggests he thinks that a right move.

Also, he does know something about finance, which means he should be able to keep a sharp eye on how the club is run.

As for joining in training, I assume PD allows it, and as he's a young man it's an enjoyable way of keeping fit and healthy - I think many of us would love to do the same if given the chance (even me at 66 years of age) :wink:.

Edited by BP1960

Its unprofessional because for one, his presence on the training ground is simply not necessary. Secondly, it could be seen as sticking his nose in or interfering with team affairs. Thirdly, he is a director of Oldham Athletic (2004) Association Football Club. As a director it is not his place to have a kick about with the kids. this is time that could be put into exploring additional revenue streams for the club or securing investment. He was not appointed to the board of directors so he could go and have a kickabout with the youths as and when he sees fit. As a professional football club, I would sincerely hope that training is something that is taken with the upmost seriousness.

And I think it could potentially be seen as undermining the manager for the same reasons o4u quoted

But what Newton's done here is to interfere in selection policy. Not on discipliniary / image grounds like the FA with Terry. But simply to tell Dickov he should play more youths so that we can sell them for a profit.

Yep, cause everything is going just fine at Boundary Park isnt it.

Er, no and I didn't say it was.

But MN kicking around with the youngsters or expressing the fact that we have to sell is neither the cause nor a massive factor in delaying progress.

I've got enough faith SC's commitment to the club to believe that he wouldn't have had him back unless he saw it as a positive.

I understand and appreciate frustration but can't accept that MN has done or said anything that damages the club. Do you not think that he and other directors talk to Dickov about the finances and values of players? of course they do. What Newton said in the paper will already be old news to PD - and I haven't heard him complain about undue interference.

Let's get real. We're a club in a difficult financial position and every so called supporter who doesn't turn up -unless there are real financial or practical difficulties - is making things worse.

I'm setting off in a couple of hours - come on you blues!

What Newton said in the paper will already be old news to PD - and I haven't heard him complain about undue interference.

If Dickov is naffed off with it, I wouldn't expect him to conduct the conversation through the press (unless he was trying to negotiate an exit strategy).

Personally, I don't think Dickov will be particularly impressed about a director stating his views publicly on which players should be getting more first team exposure.

If Dickov is naffed off with it, I wouldn't expect him to conduct the conversation through the press (unless he was trying to negotiate an exit strategy).

Personally, I don't think Dickov will be particularly impressed about a director stating his views publicly on which players should be getting more first team exposure.

In a nutshell O4U. About half of us think the report of what Newton said causes problems, about half of us think it doesn't.

Toujours la meme chose!

Er, no and I didn't say it was.

But MN kicking around with the youngsters or expressing the fact that we have to sell is neither the cause nor a massive factor in delaying progress.

I've got enough faith SC's commitment to the club to believe that he wouldn't have had him back unless he saw it as a positive.

I understand and appreciate frustration but can't accept that MN has done or said anything that damages the club. Do you not think that he and other directors talk to Dickov about the finances and values of players? of course they do. What Newton said in the paper will already be old news to PD - and I haven't heard him complain about undue interference.

Let's get real. We're a club in a difficult financial position and every so called supporter who doesn't turn up -unless there are real financial or practical difficulties - is making things worse.

I'm setting off in a couple of hours - come on you blues!

Agreed Pete.

In a nutshell O4U. About half of us think the report of what Newton said causes problems, about half of us think it doesn't.

Toujours la meme chose!

Obviously we hope it won't cause problems, but I can see how it might.

It just seems another badly-timed and badly articulated article from the club

Everyone's disappointed with the club's form and the exit from the JPT - what we needed was a message of positivity to get the fans back onside. Was this article really the best they could do??

Everyone's fully aware of the club's financial situation, how the team's been performing on the pitch and the fact we're a selling club. Re-iterating it now is appalling timing.

As for him training with the youth team....I hope someone kicks him hard enough so he never wants to go back. The training ground is Dickov's territory and Newton's presence could be interpreted as him keeping an eye on the way Dickov's does things (to offer advice??) or undermining Dickov. Not a good way to do things, in my opinion....