Photo
- - - - -

Result must improve

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#41 singe

singe

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,377 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

"Star youngster in tears when tasked to improve by Director"...

Latics miss out on a million...

FIFY Dave :)

#42 Lookers_Carl

Lookers_Carl

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

Why is it not professional?

Having read the article a few times, I am yet to read the bit when he undermimed the manager.

Its unprofessional because for one, his presence on the training ground is simply not necessary. Secondly, it could be seen as sticking his nose in or interfering with team affairs. Thirdly, he is a director of Oldham Athletic (2004) Association Football Club. As a director it is not his place to have a kick about with the kids. this is time that could be put into exploring additional revenue streams for the club or securing investment. He was not appointed to the board of directors so he could go and have a kickabout with the youths as and when he sees fit. As a professional football club, I would sincerely hope that training is something that is taken with the upmost seriousness.

And I think it could potentially be seen as undermining the manager for the same reasons o4u quoted

But what Newton's done here is to interfere in selection policy. Not on discipliniary / image grounds like the FA with Terry. But simply to tell Dickov he should play more youths so that we can sell them for a profit.

Its not about how hard you can hit, but how much you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thats how winning is done.

Sly Stallone in Rocky Balboa (2006)

#43 LaticsPete

LaticsPete

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Yep, cause everything is going just fine at Boundary Park isnt it.

Er, no and I didn't say it was.

But MN kicking around with the youngsters or expressing the fact that we have to sell is neither the cause nor a massive factor in delaying progress.
I've got enough faith SC's commitment to the club to believe that he wouldn't have had him back unless he saw it as a positive.

I understand and appreciate frustration but can't accept that MN has done or said anything that damages the club. Do you not think that he and other directors talk to Dickov about the finances and values of players? of course they do. What Newton said in the paper will already be old news to PD - and I haven't heard him complain about undue interference.

Let's get real. We're a club in a difficult financial position and every so called supporter who doesn't turn up -unless there are real financial or practical difficulties - is making things worse.

I'm setting off in a couple of hours - come on you blues!

Jimmy Rollo was my first Latics hero

http://www.oldhamath...ies-428754.aspx

#44 opinions4u

opinions4u

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,468 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

What Newton said in the paper will already be old news to PD - and I haven't heard him complain about undue interference.

If Dickov is naffed off with it, I wouldn't expect him to conduct the conversation through the press (unless he was trying to negotiate an exit strategy).

Personally, I don't think Dickov will be particularly impressed about a director stating his views publicly on which players should be getting more first team exposure.
Shop online via the PlayerShare WebShop link below and Latics benefit. Free to use!

http://www.easyfundr...ticsplayershare

#45 LaticsPete

LaticsPete

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

If Dickov is naffed off with it, I wouldn't expect him to conduct the conversation through the press (unless he was trying to negotiate an exit strategy).

Personally, I don't think Dickov will be particularly impressed about a director stating his views publicly on which players should be getting more first team exposure.

In a nutshell O4U. About half of us think the report of what Newton said causes problems, about half of us think it doesn't.

Toujours la meme chose!

Jimmy Rollo was my first Latics hero

http://www.oldhamath...ies-428754.aspx

#46 opinions4u

opinions4u

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,468 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

In a nutshell O4U. About half of us think the report of what Newton said causes problems, about half of us think it doesn't.

Toujours la meme chose!

:grin:

I think I'm more concerned that it has potential to cause problems.

Edited by opinions4u, 14 February 2012 - 05:55 PM.

Shop online via the PlayerShare WebShop link below and Latics benefit. Free to use!

http://www.easyfundr...ticsplayershare

#47 BP1960

BP1960

John Sheridan

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,561 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

Er, no and I didn't say it was.

But MN kicking around with the youngsters or expressing the fact that we have to sell is neither the cause nor a massive factor in delaying progress.
I've got enough faith SC's commitment to the club to believe that he wouldn't have had him back unless he saw it as a positive.

I understand and appreciate frustration but can't accept that MN has done or said anything that damages the club. Do you not think that he and other directors talk to Dickov about the finances and values of players? of course they do. What Newton said in the paper will already be old news to PD - and I haven't heard him complain about undue interference.

Let's get real. We're a club in a difficult financial position and every so called supporter who doesn't turn up -unless there are real financial or practical difficulties - is making things worse.

I'm setting off in a couple of hours - come on you blues!

Agreed Pete.

#48 JoeP

JoeP

Earl Barrett

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

Toujours la meme chose!

Obviously we hope it won't cause problems, but I can see how it might.

It just seems another badly-timed and badly articulated article from the club

Everyone's disappointed with the club's form and the exit from the JPT - what we needed was a message of positivity to get the fans back onside. Was this article really the best they could do??

Everyone's fully aware of the club's financial situation, how the team's been performing on the pitch and the fact we're a selling club. Re-iterating it now is appalling timing.

As for him training with the youth team....I hope someone kicks him hard enough so he never wants to go back. The training ground is Dickov's territory and Newton's presence could be interpreted as him keeping an eye on the way Dickov's does things (to offer advice??) or undermining Dickov. Not a good way to do things, in my opinion....
OWTB Prediction League Pace-Setter 2012/2013...

#49 RobOAFC

RobOAFC

Rick Holden

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Also don't forget that Dickov wasn't Newton's choice of manager. Not exactly good saying more youth should be playing, especially when the manager is one you was opposed to appointing.