Play Offs - Possibilities

With being only 11 points behind carlisle in 6th place, and 2 games in hand if we win both these games, we will only be 5 points adrift, impossible? I think not!

To start this topic off, last season we managed a total of 56 points, this season after 29 games we have 38, therefore i realisticly think we can get more points!

In the past few seasons here are the total amount of points managed by those teams in 6th place:

10-11 - 71

09-10 - 80

08-09 - 76

07-08 - 76

06-07 - US - 75

05-06 - 71

So therefore the average is around 74-75, leaving us needing around 35 points off the remaining 17 games, if we get through March with some good results behind us, I seriously think we could mount a challenge for that 6th place!

(Win 2, Lose 1) Just think a couple of seasons ago where Blackpool made a real push towards the end, With the 8 games at home, we are capable of beating every team that visits BP, except Charlton! So come on latics, get behind the lads, we need some momentum now, this is make or break time, we can do it! KTF!

35 points from 17 games is way too much, unfortunately that's the way it is. I do have a worry about what's behind us and we need to keep picking up points through our avalanche of March games to mean we have nothing to worry about back end of the season. On our day we're capable of beating most sides in the league but 35 points from 17 games is Championship winning form and we don't have the consistency to do that (coupled with the fact our top choice midfield partnership is both in the treatment room).

We should be looking at mid-table and if we do that then that's a mark of real progress from last season. Keep faith in PD and what he's doing and we will hopefully have a better shot next season.

On a side note, the Blackpool thing is a myth. They were there or thereabouts on the edge of the playoffs for a very large portion of the season, not struggling in lower mid-table. We were probably too busy fighting our own battle for automatic for most of the season to notice!

24th Feb 2007 Blackpool were 10th on 48 points from 32 games. Win our next 3 and we'll have 47 points from 32 games.

http://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/page/LeagueTable/0,,10432~20070224,00.html

They finished the season with seven straight league wins and 83 points. That's 35 added from 14 games.

They were bottom four after 11 games.

Edited by opinions4u

24th Feb 2007 Blackpool were 10th on 48 points from 32 games. Win our next 3 and we'll have 47 points from 32 games.

They finished the season with seven straight league wins and 83 points. That's 35 added from 14 games.

Yes but by mid-November they were there or thereabouts. My point is not that a barnstorming run is mathematically impossible - just that from the first 29 games or whatever it is, we don't have the quality or consistency to do it. Blackpool had been on the cusp of the playoffs for most of the season and as such had the quality all along for the late surge.

35 points from 17 games is way too much, unfortunately that's the way it is. I do have a worry about what's behind us and we need to keep picking up points through our avalanche of March games to mean we have nothing to worry about back end of the season. On our day we're capable of beating most sides in the league but 35 points from 17 games is Championship winning form and we don't have the consistency to do that (coupled with the fact our top choice midfield partnership is both in the treatment room).

We should be looking at mid-table and if we do that then that's a mark of real progress from last season. Keep faith in PD and what he's doing and we will hopefully have a better shot next season.

On a side note, the Blackpool thing is a myth. They were there or thereabouts on the edge of the playoffs for a very large portion of the season, not struggling in lower mid-table. We were probably too busy fighting our own battle for automatic for most of the season to notice!

It is, indeed. I think it's remembered that way because they were dreadful very early on and because their late run was so good - to finish the season with 14 wins from 17 is just ridiculous! (A run that started with a win against us).

I admire the positivity but the fact we haven't won three on bounce or broken into top 10 all season makes a push for the play-offs extremely unlikely IMO.

In fact can't remember ever notching three consecutive league victories under Dickov and this inconsistency is probably the main reason why we don't have a hope of the play-offs.

Which is painfully true.

Even if we had Weso and Furryman.

Could be possible, if Kuqi can refind his early season form, could fire us up the table, especially with Reid returning, as we create enough chances in games to win them by a few goals.. We've got a keeper we can rely on, a decent defence, plenty of options from the wings.. Only problem is centre mid, but Winchester is looking better and more comfortable in CM every time seen him play and is starting to be able to get some sort of grip on the tempo of the game.. All we need to do is win a few games on the run and we'll have new confidence in the team.. And if you look at PD's 20 game league, after 3 games we have 6 points already!

Play offs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! having a laugh :lol::lol::lol:

We should be thankful that there are at least 6 poor & inconsistent teams in the league worse than us.

Without any bite in Midfield any team in the top half will rip us apart like MKD , and we have a few top teams to play away yet ??

A few wins at home against the teams around us will see us safely in mid table.

That is a more realistic dream this season and hope PD can work the mircale for next season.

But no harm in dreaming.

Unfortunately I think the playoffs are as unrealistic for us as the relegation people were talking about last week.

Interesting stat relegation-wise, our home record against the current bottom 8 (who are likely to be there at the end of the season) is W5 D1 L0, as daft as it sounds we've often struggled to win the games which seem easy on paper so it makes a refreshing change to win these games this year. Also it fills me with confidence ahead of games like Scunny and Yeovil...although I've probably jinxed those games now! :unsure:

The Lashers did turn that season around with about three signings, and they did go from relegation zone to promotion. The lesson is that if you are going into the playoffs, get there with a late surge that drags you in on the final day, because the team that misses out on auto is usually screwed

Just goes to show we're not too many players short of a play-off competing side. With a fully fit squad, plus perhaps the addition of a left back and another striker perhaps we're definitely capable and just shows how imperitive we keep the squad and manager together to build on in the summer.

Yes but by mid-November they were there or thereabouts. My point is not that a barnstorming run is mathematically impossible - just that from the first 29 games or whatever it is, we don't have the quality or consistency to do it. Blackpool had been on the cusp of the playoffs for most of the season and as such had the quality all along for the late surge.

The difference was Hoolahan.

Just goes to show we're not too many players short of a play-off competing side. With a fully fit squad, plus perhaps the addition of a left back and another striker perhaps we're definitely capable and just shows how imperitive we keep the squad and manager together to build on in the summer.

Defiantely agree with that.

Mind you I thought that this season.

We did flirt with blind optimism for a time.

But yes, the consistency is the thing for me and we could be up there.

So far, Dickov has always reacted to mistakes he has made, which augurs well.

It takes a couple of years to really get under the skin of a new job I feel, so next season would be a much fairer and truer test.

Injuries have influenced things this season, key players like Furman.

The big question, has Dean Furman signed a pre contract somewhere else, he has not palyed since the transfer window shut!!!

Edited by singe

Defiantely agree with that.

Mind you I thought that this season.

We did flirt with blind optimism for a time.

But yes, the consistency is the thing for me and we could be up there.

So far, Dickov has always reacted to mistakes he has made, which augurs well.

It takes a couple of years to really get under the skin of a new job I feel, so next season would be a much fairer and truer test.

Injuries have influenced things this season, key players like Furman.

The big question, has Dean Furman signed a pre contract somewhere else, he has not palyed since the transfer window shut!!!

Furman is injured! Let's not make 2 + 2 = 99.

He came to the sponsor's box on Saturday after the game and is optimistic it won't be long now. You could tell he's keen to be back playing.