#1 PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Earl Barrett

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Fabrice Muamba: Racist Twitter user jailed for 56 days

I know at best I will split opinions on here for bringing this up, but what the **** is happening to freedom of speech in this country? Don't get me wrong, Liam Stacey is a prick of the highest order, and deserves some heat from his peers for his comments, but two months in jail??? Really???

And following on from the Azhar Ahmed debacle I am seriously disturbed by the worrying precedents being set by the judicial system recently. The courts seem to have nothing better to do than to stamp down on free speech whenever the public get outraged and offended. There are violent offenders who get away with less.

I expect this kind of crap in a theocratic dictatorship, not here. People should not be jailed simply for causing offense, no matter how dickish their words have been. It is a sick joke that these cases even went to court at all.

Sticks and stones and all that
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move" - Douglas Adams

#2 opinions4u

opinions4u

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,284 posts
  • Team:Oldham Athletic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

If you'd asked me a few years ago I'd have agreed completely.

As it is, my views have moved a bit.

Criminal - yes.

Jail time - no. Although I've not read the full sequence.

Edited by opinions4u, 27 March 2012 - 02:11 PM.

Shop online via the PlayerShare WebShop link below and Latics benefit:

http://www.easyfundr...ticsplayershare

#3 jsslatic

jsslatic

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

what the **** is happening to freedom of speech in this country?

It is being read in accordance with Article 10 limitations, as it should be.

56 days, he'll be out in no time. Perfectly fair given what he's said/tweeted.
GATLEY GORILLAS - OWTB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPIONS 2010/11
GATLEY GORILLAS - OWTB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPIONS 2011/12

#4 PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Earl Barrett

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

It is being read in accordance with Article 10 limitations, as it should be.

56 days, he'll be out in no time. Perfectly fair given what he's said/tweeted.

Sticks and stones mate. Sticks and stones.

He now has a criminal record and has to spend several weeks in jail for tweeting offensive things. What is fair about it?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move" - Douglas Adams

#5 Stevie_J

Stevie_J

Bobby Johnstone

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

He now has a criminal record and has to spend several weeks in jail for tweeting offensive things. What is fair about it?

Do you feel the same way about Abu Hamza then?

Click on the PayPal button and please donate whatever you can to keep OWTB up and running, thanks - OWTB Admin Team

#6 jsslatic

jsslatic

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

So if he'd stood in the middle of Swansea town centre with a megaphone shouting the things he tweeted at passing black people, that would be OK?

Certainly worthy of a prison sentence and a criminal record. Disgusting behaviour.

#7 PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Earl Barrett

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

Do you feel the same way about Abu Hamza then?

I don't recall. Remind me what he is supposed to have said. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

#8 razza699

razza699

Filipe Morais

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

In slightly bad taste but I laughed at this tweet

football_shorts‏@football_shorts

apparently Liverpool players are going to wear tshirts in support of Liam Stacey

#9 PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Earl Barrett

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

So if he'd stood in the middle of Swansea town centre with a megaphone shouting the things he tweeted at passing black people, that would be OK?

I would class that has harassment or maybe even "disturbing the peace". So no, that would not be ok.

#10 mikebOAFC

mikebOAFC

Les Pogliacomi

• OWTB Member
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

If he had been sent down for the original tweet about Muamba then there might have been a freedom of speech defence. He wasn't - he's been sent down for the vile racist abuse he directed at people who objected to that original tweet. No problem whatsoever with him serving time for it.

#11 jsslatic

jsslatic

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

I would class that has harassment or maybe even "disturbing the peace". So no, that would not be ok.

What if he wrote letters and sent them through the post?

I am wary of sounding facetious, I'm genuinely curious as to where the line is for you.

#12 PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Earl Barrett

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

What if he wrote letters and sent them through the post?

I am wary of sounding facetious, I'm genuinely curious as to where the line is for you.

That would be harassment again

#13 PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Earl Barrett

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

If he had been sent down for the original tweet about Muamba then there might have been a freedom of speech defence. He wasn't - he's been sent down for the vile racist abuse he directed at people who objected to that original tweet. No problem whatsoever with him serving time for it.

Merely insulting people on the internet should not be a crime, whether they are racially slanted insults or not.

I am amazed at how many people think that causing offense should equal jail time.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills, 27 March 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#14 opinions4u

opinions4u

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,284 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

I'm glad I'm not a magistrate.

There is a danger that the nasty man who typed the nasty words ends up getting sympathy and support as a result of the sentence. Which is surely not the purpose of dishing it out.

Community service for 300 hours in the heart of a deprived black area might have been more appropriate.
Shop online via the PlayerShare WebShop link below and Latics benefit:

http://www.easyfundr...ticsplayershare

#15 jsslatic

jsslatic

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

That would be harassment again

Merely insulting people on the internet should not be a crime, whether they are racially slanted insults or not.

I am amazed at how many people think that causing offense should equal jail time.

Why is posting it on the internet not a crime but doing it in a letter harrassment?

#16 mikebOAFC

mikebOAFC

Les Pogliacomi

• OWTB Member
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

You just said sending a letter or shouting it in the street would be harassment, would you class sending a tweet differently? Genuine question as I don't see a difference other than tweets being more public.

Edited by mikebOAFC, 27 March 2012 - 02:55 PM.

#17 razza699

razza699

Filipe Morais

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

I dont think you realise how serious Cyber bullying is , it can be worse than normal bullying.

#18 PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Earl Barrett

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

You just said sending a letter or shouting it in the street would be harassment, would you class sending a tweet differently? Genuine question as I don't see a difference other than tweets being more public.

Why is posting it on the internet not a crime but doing it in a letter harrassment?

His tweets were part of heated exchanges between his fellow tweeters. He didn't single anyone out specifically. He just lost his head whilst interacting with them. If he had singled anyone out and kept insulting them then he would be harassment (although surely you can block people on twitter so I'm not sure that would fly in my book)

#19 PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Earl Barrett

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

I dont think you realise how serious Cyber bullying is , it can be worse than normal bullying.

Bullying = harassment. See my other post

#20 jsslatic

jsslatic

David Eyres

• OWTB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

His tweets were part of heated exchanges between his fellow tweeters. He didn't single anyone out specifically. He just lost his head whilst interacting with them. If he had singled anyone out and kept insulting them then he would be harassment (although surely you can block people on twitter so I'm not sure that would fly in my book)

But he did write directly to people with racist comments.