thanks dad

my dad took me to my first game at boundary park pre season friendly v city to open the ford stand

my dad took me to my first away game york city 1974

for the next ten years my dad took me to latics week in week out home and away had fab times had bad times went to grounds all throughout this country even some abroad wrexham and stmirren

started to go with my mates more as i got older espesialy when i learned to drive stil went with hm to home games but away not so many

he was there in 1990 walking down wembley way with mum and my nephews

a year later he was on the pitch dancing after the wendies game not bad for a 60year old

then it was Anfield Oldtrafford main road vila park all places we only ever dreamed about in a three years of heaven

over the next few years ill health cut the number of games he got to but he still made an effort

the last away game we went to was wolves in the FA cup a fantastic day out with him and his friends heard some fantastic storys of times past

last home game was yeovill last year could see he was struggling even in the mild weather

he went to a few games alone since

my dad died at 2.20 on saturday afternoon with me my mum and all my sisters and brother stood around him

ive lost my best friend at latics

just want to say thank you latics for giving me and my dad something to argue shout swear and sing songs togeather about

oh and all those linos and refs who think your safe now hes gone "your a :censored: "

Edited by Stevie_J
Typo in title

You know peanuts, all my whingeing about how :censored:e we are, well your post there simply sums up what it's all about and why we do it.

My own dad is in ill health and his failing eye-sight is slowly getting worse meaning he hardly goes anymore and mostly relies on me for match-reports etc but like you my dad's the reason I started going. I'm so sorry for your loss, reading that has given me a reality check, I'll be renewing my season ticket after-all. Latics is a gift my Dad gave me, i'm not about to toss that away, no matter how :censored: it is.

Good Night God Bless Mr. Peanuts Senior

Edited by oafcprozac

Sincere condolences to you and your family. Excellent post, too. Like many others, it was my Dad who got me hooked on Latics (first game was August 1950), even though he was born in Hull and didn't move to Oldham until a year or so before I was born. A more avid Latics fan you couldn't wish to meet and we had great times no matter what the result.

I was going to change my sig soon, as I've had it for quite a while but, having seen this thread, it's going to stay put. A big thank you to all the Dads who have given their offspring the Latics bug. Can't beat it, can you? If only my two children had lived in Oldham instead of being born "darn sarf", we might have had one or two more fans.

Edited by Bristolatic

Condolences to you and your family peanuts!

It was my grandad (mums side) who took me to BP as a nipper, much to the annoyance of my dad who tried to mould me into an armchair manure fan.

Not long after my grandad passed away, i got my first part time job and decided along with my uncle to get a season ticket, kind of in his memory really... We've both been hooked since!

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

I'am pretty sure Bury are doing a minutes silence before the game next week to remember fans that have passed away during the season,this includes fans from Oldham as well.Think you contact the club with the persons details,all the best I'am sure your dad will sleep well now

I'am pretty sure Bury are doing a minutes silence before the game next week to remember fans that have passed away during the season,this includes fans from Oldham as well.Think you contact the club with the persons details,all the best I'am sure your dad will sleep well now

This seems like a nice gesture and may be something that Latics could do on the last home game of a season.

Condolences to you peanuts and your family, MHDSRIP.

They are- link including email address for the addition of names http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337~2734062,00.html

Sorry about your loss Peanuts

This seems like a nice gesture and may be something that Latics could do on the last home game of a season.

Condolences to you peanuts and your family, MHDSRIP.

Agreed. It would be a lovely touch for Latics to do this at BP as well.

RIP Peanuts Snr and fellow Blue.x