Should Latics have a youth development scheme or not ?

Should Latics have a youth development scheme team or not ?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Should Latics have a youth development scheme or not ?

• Yes, keep it
    • No, disband it

might be controversial, but i thought Millar did alright on Saturday... he didn't have a lot of time and when he got the ball he was direct with it. sure, he lost it a couple of times but to me it looked like he was going to make the most of his small chance and try and make something happen. as it happened, Brentford weren't having any of it, but a weaker defence would have struggled with his pace, i'd give him a chance over the next few days.

and someone mentioned the HT draw and theyre onto something i think. look at Forest, they had a challenge thing going on and people were interested. not just a draw revamp is needed to get funds into the youth, but i'd definitely get local kids teams playing on the pitch at every game with Broady commentating even showing that the youth is important. should also have a penalty shootout with Chaddy, crossbar challenge for a season ticket... get the people into the ground and interested!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

might be controversial, but i thought Millar did alright on Saturday... he didn't have a lot of time and when he got the ball he was direct with it. sure, he lost it a couple of times but to me it looked like he was going to make the most of his small chance and try and make something happen. as it happened, Brentford weren't having any of it, but a weaker defence would have struggled with his pace, i'd give him a chance over the next few days.

and someone mentioned the HT draw and theyre onto something i think. look at Forest, they had a challenge thing going on and people were interested. not just a draw revamp is needed to get funds into the youth, but i'd definitely get local kids teams playing on the pitch at every game with Broady commentating even showing that the youth is important. should also have a penalty shootout with Chaddy, crossbar challenge for a season ticket... get the people into the ground and interested!

Not contraversial at all - I posted the same thing on one of the other threads. He looked as bright as he ever has done on Saturday. As I said on my other post, that doesn't for one moment mean I think he's got "it" and should be now starting games - but he had an impact / made an impact on Saturday, so he should, IMO, be given a similar chance this coming Saturday to do so again.

Me too Stevie, me too.

If such a thing was brought in - I'd join it. I haven't joined playershare, I would this though.

I don't think you can really ringfence money like that though. the club has money coming in and money going out. It's like believing that paying National Insurance insures you against anything.

I don't think you can really ringfence money like that though. the club has money coming in and money going out. It's like believing that paying National Insurance insures you against anything.

Would one "cause" attract more than the other? I think PlayerShare would win a head to head. And £10k a year doesn't really bridge the gap for Yoof anyway.

Could both causes be run at the same time? Or would one simply take money from the other?

Would one "cause" attract more than the other? I think PlayerShare would win a head to head. And £10k a year doesn't really bridge the gap for Yoof anyway.

Could both causes be run at the same time? Or would one simply take money from the other?

For me I would say that if it doesn't pay to run the youths in any form, we shouldn't be doing it. I'd like to know that all the costs and benefits were being included though. Over a million in sales over the past 5 or 6 years? And cheap bodies to fill the squad out (although perhaps underused).

Has anyone noticed the young ones are dropped like hot potatoes after the odd mistake, whereas some seniors are persisted with no matter how ineffective they are, this can't do the confidence of the kids any good at all.

Doesn't the club already run a draw where a percentage goes towards the youth set up? The one where results appear on the OS every month? Not sure what I've set up to pay but I've had a few quid back from it.

• 2 years later...

Tony P once made a point of what happened at Stockport after they got rid of there youth set up. To me clubs especially lower league clubs need a youth set up and even on the continent now clubs who cannot compete with the big boys are putting more emphasis onto there youth set ups.