Marwan Koukash

Just heard an item on GMR saying the Salford Rugby owner Dr Marwan Koukash is in negotiations to take over a football club. Says he hopes to complete the deal within a couple of months. No idea if we are a possibility but it did cross my mind that we could be.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard an item on GMR saying the Salford Rugby owner Dr Marwan Koukash is in negotiations to take over a football club. Says he hopes to complete the deal within a couple of months. No idea if we are a possibility but it did cross my mind that we could be.

I wouldn't be supprised, with the new stand taking place and last years heroics I'd say we are worth a punt.

Edited by Lukers1

Was he the one behind the change of name to Salford City Reds? :throwsupinmouth:

As he's a racehorse owner he might change our team shirts to this (well it would be different)

210701-070701-010404.png

He's already threatened to walk from Salford if things dont go the way he wants... strikes me as a bit of a loose cannon.

There's something about him that doesn't add up to me

Thought that since I first heard him on gmr

Jack Dearden was all over him

Maybe I'm just cynical

Let's be honest, anyone, ANYONE who wants to buy Latics must be a bit mad. I mean, would any of you seriously put your hard earned money, millions of it into a small time football club, whose supporters look to see who's the featured match on Sky before deciding whether or not to show up!? If the club does well the manager gets the credit - if not then you get all the blame. In the meantime you have to watch your players decide if they fancy playing this week, and you know that you'll still have to pay them even if they play like planks. No thanks and anyone barmy enough to step in gets my vote - unless of course they have criminal intentions!

I always wonder if he'd be interested in us every time he's mentioned regarding Salford.

Isn't he a bit of a nutter though? Claiming they'll sign some of the words best players etc??

He made a genuine offer for Sam Tomkins.

Looks like he is passionate and willing to put money in. Could do worse. Might move us to Salford though.

Just heard Mr K on GMR and he did say the club inviolved were once a big club and with a bit of "tweeking" could be again. Does three years in the top division (albeit 20 years ago), and being a founder member of the Premier League constitute a once big club??

Just a thought.

Just heard Mr K on GMR and he did say the club inviolved were once a big club and with a bit of "tweeking" could be again. Does three years in the top division (albeit 20 years ago), and being a founder member of the Premier League constitute a once big club??

Just a thought.

For the period you are in the premier league, you are a big club. In the GMR region, we are probably the only club that fits that description.

I think he's been a breath of fresh air to RL. I've no doubt that if they get shot of the salary cap he will sign up a lot of top players for them. Football is obviously a different kettle of fish and you get a lot lot lot less bang for your buck, I'd welcome him with open arms though. A rich man who wants to splash the cash - and isnt likely to go bust anytime soon - is preferable to the death of a thousand cuts we've been experiencing for too long.

Koukash or Vaighan?

mmm not ideal but one infintely preferable to the other, despite not knowing much of how he will run a sporting company.

I don't know much about Koukash, apart from the threat to leave if he doesn't bring success (where have I heard that before) is there any other baggage?

The other thing, is he truly wealthy enough???? and that for me is the point, to do something with Oldham you have to invest significantly to make a difference, in the knowledge that Oldham has probably more City and United fans in it than Oldham.

Was he the one behind the change of name to Salford City Reds? :throwsupinmouth:

No, that pre-dates him by a good few years. Wouldn't be surprised if he took an interest in Chester; he's obsessed with winning horse races there (and is very successful at doing so)

Edited by Dave_Og

although Bolton would fit the bill as a big club once I think I'm right in saying their debt is astronomical, cant see any non BWFC fan touching them with a barge pole.

Although wealthy I dont think Koukash has the kind of ackers to make the likes of us into a Premier League team.Still, be nice to have some dosh - unless he renamed us to Manchester whatever in which case he can stick it up his pipe! ;-)