Friendly Real Ale Pub for Peterborough Away

Adapting the words of Humphrey Bogart: Of all the real ale pubs in all the towns in all the world, we walk into this one. And this one turns out to be the best one I've ever been in.

What a joy to find a landlord interested in football and going out of his way to make away supporters feel welcome.

It's owned by Batemans so it had a selection of their beers and more than ten ales from small breweries, all drawn from the cask. The food was in the form of rolls filled with hog roast, sausage or cheese, and we even sampled the cheeseboard containing Brie,Cornish Blue and Lincolnshire Poacher.

The decor included Posh memorabilia, breweriana and a large painting of a cricket match with Lancashire playing Kent.

The outdoor smoking shelter with heating, lighting and fantastic sofa seating made me wish I was a smoker.

9530442749_261b4a212b_c.jpg

Friendly, efficient staff, no plastic glasses and no plastic football fans - the place filled up with Posh supporters, who keep the CAMRA guide next to their fixture list. Some had been in Oldham's Ashton Arms and stayed in The Waggon at Uppermill. They were a very friendly bunch and we shared some good-natured banter.

Yes, this was Pub Utopia and gets 10/10 from me. Hope we play them in the Cup, as I can't wait to go back, and as it also has live music nights, it may mean stopping over next time.

Did they find you a comfy seat though?

The feedback ive had about this boozer are that the beer was excellent but served flat. Why do southerners insist on doing this?

Most beers when served directly through a tap in the cask don’t have a head, unless they've been fermenting strongly. The head is achieved by serving through a dispenser which has a nozzle especially designed to agitate the beer. Keg beers, which are effectively dead, have agents introduced to promote a head and to retain it. How natural is that?

• 1 year later...

Adapting the words of Humphrey Bogart: Of all the real ale pubs in all the towns in all the world, we walk into this one. And this one turns out to be the best one I've ever been in.

What a joy to find a landlord interested in football and going out of his way to make away supporters feel welcome.

It's owned by Batemans so it had a selection of their beers and more than ten ales from small breweries, all drawn from the cask. The food was in the form of rolls filled with hog roast, sausage or cheese, and we even sampled the cheeseboard containing Brie,Cornish Blue and Lincolnshire Poacher.

The decor included Posh memorabilia, breweriana and a large painting of a cricket match with Lancashire playing Kent.

The outdoor smoking shelter with heating, lighting and fantastic sofa seating made me wish I was a smoker.

9530442749_261b4a212b_c.jpg

Friendly, efficient staff, no plastic glasses and no plastic football fans - the place filled up with Posh supporters, who keep the CAMRA guide next to their fixture list. Some had been in Oldham's Ashton Arms and stayed in The Waggon at Uppermill. They were a very friendly bunch and we shared some good-natured banter.

Yes, this was Pub Utopia and gets 10/10 from me. Hope we play them in the Cup, as I can't wait to go back, and as it also has live music nights, it may mean stopping over next time.

Hog roast butties & real ale that's sounds like a cracking start to an away day slightly annoyed I'm going to miss it, if we're in the same league next season I'll be sure to pay it a visit Edited by OAFCM35