Philliskirk signs two year deal

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I did the OP I didn't think or do think that Johnson thought 'Baxter might go So i'll get Danny in to directly replace him' I think was once Danny came back there was always a good chance we'd sign him. All I meant was he now has potentially six forwards. That's a lot for a club our size to carry. If we can afford them all, great stuff. But as beag said earlier I think some shuffling is on the cards, maybe with Baxter, maybe not.

Didn't Danny play midfield for Chelsea youth/stiffs and do well? He played then as an attacking midfielder/striker for Sheff Utd.

If budget allows then depth of squad is crucial for injuries and suspensions. Also at this level attackers who bag goals are a saleable commodity so we would be looking for return on investment for DP, JCH, AR etc with MacDonald being the experience amongst the kids. A good strategy to have; secure free agents on affordable contracts, reap from their performances and then sell on if required to continue to restrengthen.

Short term it's a great position to be in with talent on the bench to switch things around etc to win games, secure draws and stay in the leading pack in the league.

Bottom line is we are in a far far better position than we were this time last year. Much prefer signings like this than endless no mark loans.

Agreed, the occasional loan player is ok, but much better to build a team to progress together.

Didn't know he played midfield as well. . fair enough. Maybe just not used to squad that is nearly all ours, a very decent size, an real quality an depth. If no- one leaves, that will be the best squad (particularly midfield an up top) we've had for a long time.

Didn't know he played midfield as well. . fair enough. Maybe just not used to squad that is nearly all ours, a very decent size, an real quality an depth. If no- one leaves, that will be the best squad (particularly midfield an up top) we've had for a long time.

He's not a midfielder, more of a forward who likes to drift into the penalty area from wide.

Is he genuinely a decent player worth signing or has he just got desperate having played so few games over the years and asked his dad for help?

Guess only time will tell.

He could well prove an astute signing.

Thats a bit harsh......if there was one area Dickov excelled it was in the successful recruitment of players.

I think the problem over at Donny has been that the promised investment

( reportedly £20m ) has failed to materialise hence Wellens seeking an early exit.

( reportedly £20m ) has failed to materialise hence Wellens seeking an early exit.

He'll be chuffed to bits there's no money. He'll be at City before long if he has that card to pull every time he's got an interview.

Thats a bit harsh......if there was one area Dickov excelled it was in the successful recruitment of players.

His player recruitment seems fairly successful looking at it briefly. But all on short term deals and on what wages? And our best player having a low buy out fee in? How much 'negotiating' was actually done?

His player recruitment seems fairly successful looking at it briefly. But all on short term deals and on what wages? And our best player having a low buy out fee in? How much 'negotiating' was actually done?

It's hard to negotiate when you're pleading. Ball was always in Baxter's court.

I think that's very unfair.

The bit you've selected to quote alone probably is unfair but the whole comment isn't imho. Not so much getting at the baxter clause but the players we had with talent we lost for nothing, we now have saleable comodities.

The bit you've selected to quote alone probably is unfair but the whole comment isn't imho. Not so much getting at the baxter clause but the players we had with talent we lost for nothing, we now have saleable comodities.

None of them are worth a carrot at the moment, possible exception being Tarkowski.