The Unofficial OWTB Point Out Fishal Site Errors Thread

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point I'm starting to believe it might be intentional, how on earth can somebody who used to work for a paper be responsible for this mess!

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20130909-loanwatch-1043198.aspx

According to the loan watch, Sailsbury have picked up 9 points from a possible 10. Must have gone back in time to when it was 2 points for a win

From tonight's first half report:

Disaster struck again for Latics in the 38th minute when they conceded a penalty for a shove by Mills on Davies who was running away from goal near the byline.

If you can't tell Mills from Wes. something is radically wrong.

Davies stepped forward to smash home from the penalty which went in off the underside of the crossbar.

Did it?

And from the second half:

Latics' third and final chance with 15 minutes left saw James Wesolowski replaced by Jonson Clarke-Harris as they brought on an extra striker.

I thought we created lots more than 3 chances.

Edited by Bristolatic

I don't really mind play on words. It's fun and pretty harmless, and if it's not overused (like with every headline trying too hard to be a pun) it's very effective and clever. But I do mind really badly written content and typos that a primary schoolkid would be embarrassed by. It's thoroughly reflective of the club and it takes only a few seconds to get a second pair of eyes to proof it before it's published. There is no way any of the club's website content is proof read before publication given how regular :censored:e typos crop up. I feel this thread should run and run like a throbbing boil to encourage the club to be much better at this kind of stuff rather than the "yawn, stop being boring" attitude that club employees evidently seem to display.

Doesn't Tony Bugby work for the club any more? He is a journalist by trade and it's clear by the way the articles are written that there's no way anyone with journalistic qualities are writing. I've not read a club programme for years but I'd expect the content in that to have been proof-checked several times before going to print. Why isn't the same kind of pride and care taken for the offical website content when there are far more people going to read that than any club programme?

Honestly I think you're being a little generous in saying it was a deliberate pun, but that's beside the point - I run a website for a bloody Uni Society and even I can understand how important it is to be giving out the right impression on what is a major selling point in the digital age. It doesn't take much to run things through a spell check! I seriously wonder what the webmaster does all day given that he's apparently too busy to read back over what he's written!

I think this one probably crosses the line between errors and sheer pedantry, but Americanisations do upset me, "Latics' fans intending to pay their first-ever visit to Rotherham United's New York Stadium on Saturday, September 14th are strongly advised to buy their tickets in advance. "

Edited by JoeLatics

Senseless mistakes that make the club look like morons.

Two words.

PROOF READ

Announcement of Mills loan extension:

'The left-back will be remaining at Boundary Park until October 28th after the Clarets agreed to him staying.

The loan extension will enable Mills to play a further six matches finishing with the game at Notts County on Saturday, October 12th.'

Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20130912-millsstays-1048896.aspx#ybJOTQ4fR8ZHDt4r.99

:petesake:

Edited by TheBigDog

Honestly I think you're being a little generous in saying it was a deliberate pun, but that's beside the point - I run a website for a bloody Uni Society and even I can understand how important it is to be giving out the right impression on what is a major selling point in the digital age. It doesn't take much to run things through a spell check! I seriously wonder what the webmaster does all day given that he's apparently too busy to read back over what he's written!

I think this one probably crosses the line between errors and sheer pedantry, but Americanisations do upset me, "Latics' fans intending to pay their first-ever visit to Rotherham United's New York Stadium on Saturday, September 14th are strongly advised to buy their tickets in advance. "

Does any league 1 club really regard its website as "a major selling point in the digital age" ?

I'd suggest that in any business analysis it's a long way behind:-

Results, Playing style, Seating, Food Outlets, Bars, Car Parks, TV Reporting, Newspaper reports/publicity? Is the 15th selling point really a major one?

Mind you, the website has recently been lauded by many for getting relevant news out quickly, so I guess there has to be something to pick up on.

It doesn't take much to run things through a spell check!

I have a spelling checker,

It came with my pee see.

It plane lee marks four my revue

Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,

Your sure reel glad two no.

Its vary polished in it's weigh.

My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,

It freeze yew lodes of thyme.

It helps me right awl stiles two reed,

And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen

Eye trussed too bee a joule.

The checker pours o'er every word

To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's

Hour spelling mite decline,

And if we're lacks oar have a laps,

We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling

Is checked with such grate flare,

Their are know fault's with in my cite,

Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,

It does knot bring a tier.

My pay purrs awl due glad den

With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet

Of witch won should bee proud,

And wee mussed dew the best wee can,

Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays

Such soft wear four pea seas,

And why eye brake in two averse

Buy righting want too pleas.

It came with my pee see.

It plane lee marks four my revue

Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,

Your sure reel glad two no.

Its vary polished in it's weigh.

My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,

It freeze yew lodes of thyme.

It helps me right awl stiles two reed,

And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen

Eye trussed too bee a joule.

The checker pours o'er every word

To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's

Hour spelling mite decline,

And if we're lacks oar have a laps,

We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling

Is checked with such grate flare,

Their are know fault's with in my cite,

Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,

It does knot bring a tier.

My pay purrs awl due glad den

With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet

Of witch won should bee proud,

And wee mussed dew the best wee can,

Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays

Such soft wear four pea seas,

And why eye brake in two averse

Jesus Diego, I think my head is about to explode.

Sure, but I reckon that a simple spell check would sort this shocker:

"Joe Cooper has been explaining why he is swopping the training ground for the lecture theatre after deciding to quit Latics for a return to full-time education."

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20130913-cooperinterview-1051484.aspx#F1MA4wjO7R8VuWdc.99

Edit - not to mention "Cooper, who intends to continue playing football at university and may be also non-league" in the same article!

Edited by JoeLatics

Here's a different reporter (BBC News again):-

"Some parents were reported to have been outraged that their children were given books at an assembly questioning evolution and highlighting the church's own religious viewpoints."

• 3 weeks later...