LJ - The Modern Manager

Now when LJ was appointed nobody seen it coming lets be honest but first of all lets look at his playing career.

Aside from a few stints in Scotland 95% of Lee's career has been alongside Daddy Johnson, don't get me wrong he was a good player but ultimately he was his fathers son and therefore 1st name on the team sheet.

Has he got older and his playing days were coming to an end he has been fast tracked into management, using modern footballing techniques (classroom taught) and being very good at Microsoft Powerpoint presentations he has found himself in football management at a club that couldn't afford anyone else lets be honest.

Now this isn't a lets flog LJ thread because his enthiusiam is brilliant but so was Dickov's but its clear as day he isn't ready for our level of management.

He is 1/5th into the season and hasn't got a what you would call his nailed on XI, yes their has been lots of new arrivals but this is ultimately his squad now and their are cracks already.

The Rusnak episode for instance, now i don't take part in idol gossip unless its about Tom Taiwo :clint: but what was posted on this thread about what Rusnak had apparantely said regarding LJ's attitude and actions in training is what i believe to be true i've heard it from several people and they were all singing from the same hymn sheet.

OAFC does not need an ego bigger than the demolition site opposite the main stand we need an old fashioned in your face manager who knows how to mold a group of players not deemed good enough elsewhere and willing to play for less than other clubs can offer and are willing to play and do anyway it takes to get out this division.

I firmly believe we have needed a Gary Megson/Martin Allen type of character ever since Dowie failed, because 17 seasons in the same division for a club with the potential like our's simply isn't good enough and to simply settle for surviving season in, season out again is just an indication of how far we have sunk.

So back to the appointment of LJ, I for one was very negative about his appointment and if it wasn't for a group of individuals putting themselves in the shop window for future moves then we wouldn't have stayed up last season.

He likes to flaunt himself in the media another thing which has been mentioned and stated Rooney was his number one target yet he doesn't know how to play him or play off him (if he has researched him he would know he isnt a target man) as i believe there is a player to saviour in him, he has started to chop and change tactics now and slowly is starting to use PD's spin in the media for when we get beat, we don't seem to be able to keep a clean sheet nor learning from mistakes made in previous games.

Pitchside their doesn't seem to be a lot of influence being exhumed to the players on the pitch and he much prefers to have it out with officials and opposing managers and assistants, we have the office junior sat pitchside and a recently retired player fast tracked into a first team coaching role, as well as a fitness coach and gk coach going above beyond what is ultimately their job roles.

Finally IF LJ took any notice of his Dad in action throughout his career he would know the number 1 tool a successful manager needs especially one striving to be succesful in management is an experienced right hand man he is the one who you turn to when your struggling he is the link between players and management and in my eyes the most important cog in the wheel of success, i also for one don't Simon Corney recognises this and wouldn't stand in the way of any appointment LJ deemed necessary because Paul Murray isnt the answer, he needs to given time to progress his coaching career also.

Edited by Postman Matt

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the face of it, a post that has taken that degree of thought and construction deserves an equally well constructed response replying to each point in turn.

But on closer inspection, I've realised that every single word of it is complete and utter bollocks.

It is a criticism i am paying customer i am allowed to he isn't the second coming and the honeymoon period is well and truly over, we are like a good looking girl with a terrible personality everyone wouldn't mind banging her but they most certainly wouldn't marry her.

As to potential all you have to do is look at the early 90s to see whats possible with the right investment, last time i checked the population of Oldham has grown since the glory days back then and the FA Cup run shows people will come when whats on offer is worth coming too.

Well I see you have thought this through and feel quite strongly, but I disagree with the vast majority of what you say.

He is 1/5th into the season and hasn't got a what you would call his nailed on XI

This however I do agree with, however whilst its not ideal I wouldn't use it as a stick to beat him with. Not many new managers (and with the summer upheaval Johnson essentially started his job in the summer) have a nailed on XI by the 2nd October.

I've noted before that this team remind me a lot of last season's Liverpool. They started the season passing it well, outdoing their opponents on the possession and shot fronts in most matches but not getting the desired results. Rodgers (with whom and Johnson I see some similarities) tinkered here and there, perfecting his formula until after Christmas it clicked... with the exception of a few notable results!

Now there's no guaranteeing this is the route we're going down, but what I have seen has convinced me it is. I - and I know many others too - are happy to play the waiting game watching this team find their way in League One in the hope and belief that it clicks before long.

Keep the Faith guys!

That's a big post for a troll.

Nah, I honestly don't believe this guy is a troll. Don't make the mistake of thinking everyone with a negative view is a troll.

I reckon these are honest opinions, honestly held. I just happen to think he's wrong. If I get chance, I will try to do him the justice of a more considered reply explaining why I think he's wrong.

Now when LJ was appointed nobody seen it coming lets be honest but first of all lets look at his playing career.

Aside from a few stints in Scotland 95% of Lee's career has been alongside Daddy Johnson, don't get me wrong he was a good player but ultimately he was his fathers son and therefore 1st name on the team sheet...

I stopped reading at this point. Ask Bristol City and Yeovil fans whether he was in the team on nepotism. They'll tell you he was there on merit.

I'll congratulate Postman Matt as I don't think I've ever seen the word EXHUMED used in a football context before.

I don't think it warrants congratulation when it's used in completely the wrong way.

I did persevere with the original post in the end though and there are a couple of reasonable points made.

Nah, I honestly don't believe this guy is a troll. Don't make the mistake of thinking everyone with a negat

ive view is a troll.

I reckon these are honest opinions, honestly held. I just happen to think he's wrong. If I get chance, I will try to do him the justice of a more considered reply explaining why I think he's wrong.

He made countless trollish threads before he disappeared last season

I firmly believe we have needed a Gary Megson/Martin Allen

Remind me where Martin Allen's team is positioned in this league. And then remind me of where our 'out of his depth' manager is.

Basically, writing a lot of words doesn't mean it isn't absolute bull:censored:.

Fair play to you Postman Matt for putting forward your views, I agree with some of what you say but disagree with the overall thrust.

The points I would like to pick up on are the pitchside antics, an issue that has been picked up on by numerous posters about numerous managers. How much influence on a game does a manager have by waving his arms around, bellowing instructions to players, doing that Copacabana style revolving hand thing or anything else an "animated manager" does? In my view very little, entertaining for those sat near him but as to its impact on the result I'm not convinced.

Another point I would like to pick up on is the same as Diego:

I'm intrigued to know what you think this potential is.

I don't see that the club has any potential beyond lower championship with cup runs to the quarters, maybe semis. Put a sugar daddy in place and we may hit 3-4 seasons in the premiership but the crowds won't flock to BP or wherever just on the promise of premiership football, hasn't worked for Wigan.

Finally, the style of manager you would prefer in my eyes is a football dinosaur, a large number of clubs have tried this kind of manager and they are enjoying the success that this limited style of manager brings.

I applaud the board for taking a punt on LJ, the experiment is a worthwhile one but it is long term, the dinosaur manager can bring short term success but as we have seen with numerous clubs it fizzles out and reverts to square one. I believe that LJ is looking at things longer term, they way he talks about the game and describes his footballing philosophy is very different to many a manager I've listened to.

Rome wasn't built in a day, a player like JCH isn't a world beater overnight and Rooney doesn't become a donkey in September. We started this season with an experiment, Mellor at CB, a few games in he got injured and LJ had to shuffle, brought Mills in and we've persisted with this. Mellor gets fit, played in CM and being the young lad that he is lashes out at a more experienced pro who had been niggling him under the nose of the ref. Wes comes back into the side and being a third division player shows that he is good going backwards, not as good going forwards but has added solidity to the middle. We've only lost games by the odd goal, we haven't been trounced in any game, in fact we've trounced the other teams in a Brendan Rodgers "We won the passing" style. It has taken Liverpool a while but I bet most of their fans are enjoying being second in their league currently.

Let's see where we are towards the end of the season, at this stage of the season players still have their stabilisers on.

I stopped reading at this point. Ask Bristol City and Yeovil fans whether he was in the team on nepotism. They'll tell you he was there on merit.

I don't think your seeing the underlying main theme of the post.

This is a man whose had a career handed on a silver platter whether its on merit or not he for most of his career chose the security of being round his Father, and more than likely was given the Oldham job through back handers and contact knowledge

I would love for him to succeed but he seems to me to be more of a coach and stats man than a leader of men maybe he should have took the coaching role with his good friend Brendan.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, I must disagree with everything said in the original post. LJ, as I have said on here before, is a young, flash harry type of guy. But he has provided us with some of the most entertaining football we've seen for a long time. Yes he is struggling to get the best out of Rooney, however anyone at Crawley on Saturday was left scratching their head at a striker who jumps for the ball way before it arrives so that his body was on the way down by the time the it arrived. And for all JCH's failings Rooney certainly couldn't match his work rate. Both these things are beyond the manager's control once the player crosses the white line. Also, regarding LJ's playing career, I think it's unbelievable to assume a player can have a good career because of his father. 10/10 for effort, 1/10 for content.

That Lampard bloke only ever got in the West Ham team because his uncle was the manager. Whatever happened to him....?

This is a man whose had a career handed on a silver platter whether its on merit or not he for most of his career chose the security of being round his Father, and more than likely was given the Oldham job through back handers and contact knowledge

The very definition of unfounded allegations. Besides, I'd hardly say playing for Yeovil in the Conference and bottom two divisions is a footballing silver platter.