Unnamed printed fanzine project, Playershare profits.

Hello,

I certainly think this isn't the first time this issue has arisen, however it would be very interesting to see if there is a genuine response for such a thing. How about this, we have a single fanzine or blog uniting the writers with the aim of producing a tangible fanzine maybe 3 or 4 times a season - with all the profits (after manufacture costs - which wouldn't be much for a monochrome 30-40 pager) going to playershare. It'd be an editorless production, a loose co-operative of contributors who all have their own opinions - the caveat being if you disagree with the opinions, then write a counter article for the rag in the next issue.

As stated above, the project would be a writer’s co-operative. There is no editor dictating an agenda. There is no media company hiding in the background ensuring that the interests of advertisers are put before those of the reader, although I'm sure we wouldn't be against local businesses getting in on the act as long as it doesn't overpower the 'feeling'. This is an open forum for writers to express their views. If you’re writing is in keeping with the broad principles of how a fanzine should be then you are welcome to send stuff in, and it would be a pleasure to try and publish it although I haven't got that far yet - we'll cross that bridge and all that. We have it on good authority that being sued and losing your house to someone with a grudge is no fun so anything libellous, racist or offensive might come back to you with a polite message attached.

Music, food, clothes, football, pubs, buildings, other football teams, politics, it really is open to write whatever you want. I'm looking at certain individuals to come forward, I'd like to offer an invitation to all local literary folk, I think you know who you are, let's get something going.

Thanks,

Matt.

Yes, good idea. I see the benefits of having broad content though I guess the Latics emphasis has to hold it together or it may become a little unfocused for some potential readers.

No editorial agenda but am I right in thinking that you'll take on another task of compiling and editing where appropriate? if so, power to your elbow.

I like the idea of the photo casebook.

I would try and stay clear of a few things.

Being too serious

Non latics / football content.

A fanzine should have opinions, yes - but it needs to be in the main lighthearted.

We don't have a big fanbase, the reason the fanzine would be read would be for the latics based content.

Edited by pukka

Thanks to all who have expressed the urge to contribute - already there's some diversity, the next step is something we have to think hard about. This isn't going to be an overnight thing, and if we get an issue out this season it'll be a miracle.

No editorial agenda but am I right in thinking that you'll take on another task of compiling and editing where appropriate? if so, power to your elbow.

Someone will have to put it all together, if somebody else wants to do it - that's fine with me, I'm happy just getting the ball rolling although I can contribute articles from time to time too. The editorial will probably work itself out due to the number of articles submitted - I'm thinking that all submitted will be published.

Good idea. All I would say is avoid a blog version or you will never sell any.

Depends, I think there is room for an online base for the publication where we could run old articles, odd paragraphs and notes, poetry. photographs or videos etc. Online sales in pdf form may be an idea too.

I like the idea of the photo casebook.

I would try and stay clear of a few things.
Being too serious
Non latics / football content.

A fanzine should have opinions, yes - but it needs to be in the main lighthearted.
We don't have a big fanbase, the reason the fanzine would be read would be for the latics based content.

My idea is that it can be light-hearted and interesting too, I would certainly like to read about old pubs in the area, and articles about the town in years gone by - there will always something to write about when OAFC is concerned, but 10 different versions of an away trip could get tedious. There is more going on in the borough that you should be proud of, football will be a part of the publication, but there is so much we can do with it. As I said in my opening gambit, the opinions of the fanzine will be that of it's cooperative, if somebody reads an article about - I don't know - a closure of a public service, or the decision to sell a top player - it'll draw in an opposite opinion from somewhere and it's would be interesting to see a counter opinion written in the next issue. The fanzine would not have it's own direction or opinion.

I've seen fanzines created and maintained with half the match-going fanbase that OAFC have, there is no reason why it couldn't shift several hundred units and sustain that over the course of its life.

Working at the college, we have excellent repro facilities so I could get these printed even in colour, depending on the Quantity, maybe for free......

Keep me in the loop

Interesting, thanks for this - let's see how it goes. It'll be as cheap as possible with a colour front fold and about twenty A4 inside for the 30-40 odd pager - three, four times a season.

I'd like to hear from Paul P, Tony C and Terry too, I'd like it if you were a part of this - you have a lot to offer.

I'd be really happy to contribute from time to time. I'm glad someone's decided to have a go at reviving such an idea Rummy.

I know from previous threads that there are a few talented designers amongst our fanbase. It would be great if those guys could get on board to create clever cover pages in a similar vein to the Lewes FC match posters seen here. Little touches like that might make the fanzine a little more collectable, possibly increasing the circulation. Just an idea, like.

Okay - I've got some valuable info from a production that has an online presence and a printed version that get's out there two (three at most) times a season.

Submissions could be published directly to the web version, however if we want to create a piece specifically for the printed version, do that email it to whomever is going to put it all together (I'll do it in the meantime if nobody wants to - or until somebody with more experience comes along) and state that's the case. This way the printed version is exclusive and worth a purchase - we could still put the best of the web in there too, that option is certainly not closed. The next steps are to create a network I suppose, those who have already expressed an interest - how would you like to go about this?

BTW, I think I may have an interesting interview lined up with a certain chairman, but nothing is confirmed yet - hope both he and I can get the time to do it.