Adam Lockwood signed

He surely doesn't go into a team featuring Suarez after Guisley's last game was on Boxing day against Harrogate Town. He has to be cover for Tarky and Kusunga, surely.

Still waiting for news about Kusunga's head injury and possible ineligibility to play on Sunday under F.A.'s rules.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he signs players he knows thinking they can do a job, then he's using his connections and experience wisely.

If he signs players he knows thinking they'll fail, he's an idiot and their failure to deliver will push him out of the job.

Which is more likely?

He surely doesn't go into a team featuring Suarez after Guisley's last game was on Boxing day against Harrogate Town. He has to be cover for Tarky and Kusunga, surely.

This - experienced head in the dressing room and potentially on the pitch for some part of games. So welcome Adam.

Just ever so slightly disappointed that we have so far seen Lanzoni leave and Lockwood arrive - but that is the way it is when you follow Latics I know - but hopefully one or two slightly more exciting signings to come...

Why? Give the guy a chance at least eh?

I'm sorry that the prospect of 32 year old signed from Guiseley, playing against Liverpool, doesn't excite me.

Hopefully he's more of a coach that can play when desperate and we've another defender coming in.

Edited by dec666

Jobs for the boys again?

Another of Johnson's mates

Despite me calling out for experience, I wasn't talking about a lad from non-league, jeez Louise, although I will give the bloke a chance, it's not his fault he's been signed.

Johnson's main point he kept making when he was appointed was how he had this super scouting network available to him. So what he meant was, players that play for his dad, played with LDJ, or who his dad once scouted?

Edited by alex_balls

I think I'd walk out if this guy starts on Sunday.

I won't, and i'm sure I speak for the rest of us when I say i'll be 100% behind whoever wears the blue shirt on Sunday. I don't rate Adam Rooney. I rate Connor Brown even less. I voice that opinion on here occasionally, although never within earshot of the pitch. None of that will cross my mind when the players emerge from the tunnel on Sunday. If he picks Lockwood to start, and he gives his all, he'll do for me.

Edited by Break The Silence

Am I the only one who read the interview with LJ in the MEN here:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-boss-lee-johnson-looks-6457576

Specifically:

"LJ: Look at Preston. What they've got is solid, organised, verbal players that do a job and then they've got a couple that can do a bit of magic. That costs. That's what it is. They dig out 1-0 wins. I always talk about my mate Jamie McCombe at Doncaster. He's horrible, but he wins every header, he organises and you know about it if you're out of position by a yard but when you look at him you think he's a giraffe and he's not quick. Sometimes you need someone like that. I think we could do with one or two of them to add to what we've got and help the young lads we have flourish."

The recent signings are in this mould, old, hardened pros who will hopefully come in and add a bit of bite and steel to a young squad.

Some will work out, some won't, it is only bloody football, not as if he is bringing in someone to tackle tax evasion or do open heart surgery on your mother.

I won't, and i'm sure I speak for the rest of us when I say i'll be 100% behind whoever wears the blue shirt on Sunday. I don't rate Adam Rooney. I rate Connor Brown even less. I voice that opinion on here occasionally, although never within earshot of the pitch. None of that will cross my mind when the players emerge from the tunnel on Sunday. If he picks Lockwood to start, and he gives his all, he'll do for me.

As will I. I'm not ACTUALLY going to walk but it doesn't make me think this signing is any less ridiculous.

^ this

I'm sorry that the prospect of 32 year old signed from Guiseley, playing against Liverpool, doesn't excite me.

Hopefully he's more of a coach that can play when desperate and we've another defender coming in.

Least he isn't a kid from a bigger club that hasn't learned the trade yet and is out of his depth like seen recently with young Plummer. Ok I admit it's not the holywood signing some hoped for but if he does a job on Sunday then fair play.

He played against us for Doncaster I think in the cup replay in 2008. If it is the same one, he was one of the worst defenders I have ever seen...

x2, unless hes learned some silky skills in Guiseley :omg:

He may have a little experience and possibly help out in coaching sessions, cant see this guy starting Sunday or any other games, Bury didnt even want him haha.

Not sure what this lad is going to offer that Byrne can't (other than a lower wage) but if he can get the defence better organised and stop us conceding soft goals then he'll do for me.

I do wonder why it's taken half a season for the management to work out it might be a good idea to have these type of players around though...

Least he isn't a kid from a bigger club that hasn't learned the trade yet and is out of his depth like seen recently with young Plummer. Ok I admit it's not the holywood signing some hoped for but if he does a job on Sunday then fair play.

My worry is that he has been released by relegated Bury and only Guiseley wanted him.

Not exactly the back up you want with with a potential relegation battle on the way. We've already got Byrne who can be solid enough.

I see this as a sign that Byrne is to leave and we're signings a similarly experienced player significantly on a lower wage. We won't see him play often I'd guess.

LJ needs to be careful bringing in friends because, however logical the signings are, it creates an unwanted perception of nepotism. It's something disgruntled fans will use against him...

Well, some of them already are doing - read this thread.

I don't see the link between team-mate he once played with, and an outright mate. Unless you have access to LJ's inner circle of friends; how do people know he's a mate?

I work with plenty of people; not many i class as mates. But i still get on with them.

Surely its the same thing in football dressing rooms? Just becuase they played together doesn't automatically make them friends.

People have been calling for more experience.

More experience has been signed, and its not the right kind of experience and he's only been signed because he's LJ's mate.

Can't win.

As he was released by Bury outside a transfer window (September), I believe Guiseley play at the highest level Lockwood could legally play at.

He signed a deal til Jan 1st, presumable just to get some games in, and now here he is.

I think this is the key for me as to why he was playing at Guiseley. IIRC he was released from Bury for financial reasons, the fact that they changed their manager early in the season probably contributed to the issue too.

Yes there is the issue of nepotism, but Johnson signed his mate Dayton and he has been a decent signing and has noticeably improved from the beginning. If his other mates who he has just signed are of the same quality then that is perfectly fine for me, and I'll judge them after seeing them play.