Ten months ago ...

Ten months ago Lee Johnson was appointed Latics manager. I'd never heard if him.

A bit of research told me he was young. A look at his playing career revealed a midfielder who had played in all the lower leagues and a Championship Play-off Final - perhaps a Windass moment away from playing in the Premiership. A closer look revealed a man who had successfully adjusted to playing at a higher level several times. A man who had won promotions. A man who had moved up the ladder.

As a player he's learned. Succeeded. Improved. Learned some more. Succeeded again. He also knows the lower leagues.

As an individual he is well off. The income from his property portfolio will probably exceed his salary by a fair margin. He's not in it for the money, he's here to learn, improve and succeed.

But can he manage? Well he got us out of a relegation dogfight. Not so much the likes of Baxter bossing it, but Mellor to Millar across to Smittthhhhhhh type moments that brought this "success". Lee Johnson's choices and positivity saved us last season. So I credit him greatly with that. Quick impact. A winner.

He also managed a clearout effectively. And after seeing experienced pros let us down last season I think it was needed. Crofty, for all the fun, was a big wage that didn't contribute with a goal all season. Simpson had been :censored:e. Others had to go too, maybe for financial reasons and maybe because a clean slate was needed for all of us - players, fans and club.

He then built his first playing squad. His first stab at doing the job properly. A couple of the remains from Dickov's disastrous last effort. Some of the youth being given a chance. A couple of experienced pros and the likes of Korey Smith and Adam Rooney who will certainly have been in demand elsewhere. First go. Alex Ferguson brought in some turkeys before getting it right. He brought in some more after he'd become the nations best football manager. So if there have been errors this time they sit alongside successes.

We then started the season. Trying to pass the ball to each other instead of hoofing it long. Easy on the eye. Some wins, some defeats, some bad luck. Perhaps a mistake with Mellor at centre half. But Tarkowski turning from an error prone lump of potential into a potential Premiership defender in the space of months is something exceptional. Big decision around Baxter - this man's not afraid. But some quality brought in such as Kusunga and Philliskirk. Players in the squad worth a fee. Added value.

It was, generally speaking, good. But with frustration. Not quite enough goals. The occasional unforced error. The evil of a referee's untimely whistle. Perhaps that sums up where we are now quite nicely.

So I ask you. Where, when we appointed this rookie, did you expect us to be in January 2014? Not where did you hope we'd be, but where, on a lower playing budget than the previous season, did you really expect us to be? Factor in the impact the Montaño situation will have had on the man (and the players) and be honest with yourself.

We're not yet a year in with Lee Johnson. We've survived in the division. Almost completely changed the playing staff. Transformed the style of football. Got through to the third round of the FA Cup and a northern semi-final in the JPT. Oh, and while it's a narrow margin we are higher up the league table than when he took over. Heaviest defeat 0-2. Biggest win 5-1.

I do think we need to attack with more pace. Look to get the ball wide more instead of relying on Smith to carry it from centre circle to penalty area as often. Get more players in the box for when those crosses do come in.

But we are in a better place than we were at the start of last March. We have a manager who has shown, albeit as a player, an ability to adjust successfully to bigger challenges. And we have a transfer window that is his first opportunity to properly tinker with the squad, his first recruits, that he had in place at the start of September.

Yes, there will be frustrations. Last night's events are gutting for all involved. And it's right that we look over our shoulders to ensure we don't fall down the table. But we've progressed.

It's better than it was. It needs to improve further. I think, with Lee Johnson in charge, it will. He's a winner.

Edited by opinions4u

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect to be exactly where we are now and where we will end up....lower mid table but won't go down. Massively transitional season with a big turn over of staff most of which are on more than 12 month deals. I believe 100% that LJ is the right man for us and most of what I have read on twitter etc in the last 24 hrs is nothing short of a disgrace.

Mark my words we will comfortably stay up this year and next year push on to the top 10 in a league that if it shapes up like it's looking will have a hell a lot of games nearer to home and be weaker than the current competition

Apart from a few noisy individuals, who's really having a go at LJ or doubts his potential?

Fans over-reacting because their team has lost unluckily by an odd goal (again) isn't a new thing, but the counter-reaction is giving that point of view more coverage than it deserves...

Mark my words we will comfortably stay up this year and next year push on to the top 10 in a league that if it shapes up like it's looking will have a hell a lot of games nearer to home and be weaker than the current competition

Not singling you out because there's plenty of others saying the same but what are you basing it on?

Because it can't be anything that's happening on the pitch.

I'm not quite sure I understand these big shows of reassurance, similar to Mike Keegan's today.

Do I think we'll stay up? Yes

Do I have optimism we'll progress next season or late in this season with LJ-s holistic approach? Yes

Am I disappointed with our goals tally so far? Yes

I thought that was the general viewpoint shared by most fans at the moment.

I'm not quite sure I understand these big shows of reassurance, similar to Mike Keegan's today.

Do I think we'll stay up? Yes

Do I have optimism we'll progress next season or late in this season with LJ-s holistic approach? Yes

Am I disappointed with our goals tally so far? Yes

I thought that was the general viewpoint shared by most fans at the moment.

A vocal minority seem to have forgotten the context.

If some of them regain it that's a good thing in my view.

Although they'd have to get beyond 140 characters.

Not singling you out because there's plenty of others saying the same but what are you basing it on?

Because it can't be anything that's happening on the pitch.

The quality of football being played to previous years

The medium/long term view being taken that will prevent the continual 12 month recycling of squads

The fact no team has battered us

It's all very small margins from what I have seen that have seen us lose or draw games we should get something from - it won't go on forever

The club has been in a poor position playing staff wise for a number of years and it seems some people expect an immediate turnaround....it just doesn't happen

I expected us to be slightly higher up than we are now

Perhaps it's testiment to the squad LJ has built that my expectations are that this squad should be in the top half.

We have IMO the best squad we have had since 08-09. I still think we should be aiming for the top 10 this season. Not saying we will get it but that should be the target.

The fact that I believe this is a sign of some small progression over the 10 months and that's why I'm right behind him. I'd like to get another 12 months down the line and think the play offs are a genuine possibility. That would signal further progress, who knows I would be happy if the in 2 years the angry fans are kicking off because we are struggling to keep up with our title rivals.

Edited by GlossopLatic

When we appointed Johnson, I expected that we'd be in League 2 now. I had some faith that Lee must have done something magical to impress Corney, being just 32.

I have much faith in Johnson now, he's proved to me that he can be both a tactical genius (Look at Mansfield away) but can also have that cutting edge you need to be a lower league manager. (Selling our best player Baxter). Another thing i've also liked is that in Johnson's team, no player has been undroppable, maybe with the exception of Smith, but he's 9 out of 10 times earn't his place in the side. Under the previous regime, players such as Shefki Kuqi, Oumare Tounkara and latterly the failing Furman and Wesolowski partnership were the undroppables - this is something which has, luckily, disappeared.

I'd like to re-emphasise Opinions4u's point that our biggest loss of the season has been 0-2. That for me is a great stat and one that proves we're not far away.

Let's ride out this season, let's write it off (particularly those who think we should be challenging for top 6, which is a highly unrealistic target). And let's concentrate on staying in League 1.

Any places we finish above 20th is a bonus for me. LJ knows what players he'll want to keep come summer and which players can be sold or released (he's already proved that this month getting rid of Sid to Shrewsbury.) I think we'll see a re-energised team next year, one which at the core remains our players from this season, but hopefully with the addition of a cutting edge striker who can pounce on every opportunity he can get.

:OASISscarf: Lee Johnson's Blue and White Army :OASISscarf:

The medium/long term view being taken that will prevent the continual 12 month recycling of squads

It's all very small margins from what I have seen that have seen us lose or draw games we should get something from - it won't go on forever

The club has been in a poor position playing staff wise for a number of years and it seems some people expect an immediate turnaround....it just doesn't happen

Great post.

These are legitimate small margins too, not Dickov style small margins.

A vocal minority seem to have forgotten the context.

If some of them regain it that's a good thing in my view.

Although they'd have to get beyond 140 characters.

Fair enough. I agree with much or all of your points but think that for a lot of the minority you speak of there is a set agenda that only dramatic differences will neutralise, when in reality the LJ appointment was based upon gradual objectives.

In my opinion we are one player away from being a top-half team. That player being a cliical striker. I have hopes that if we don't acquire one soon, JCH will step up to the plate next season.

Quality of football means jack :censored: if you don't win games playing that way, I'd snap your hand off for 10 1-0 wins playing the Penney way between now and May and so would everybody else.

I don't disagree that having a settled squad can be a benefit but there will be big changes again this summer whichever league we are in.

Scares me when people start talking about margins or luck turning.

Quality of football means jack :censored: if you don't win games playing that way, I'd snap your hand off for 10 1-0 wins playing the Penney way between now and May and so would everybody else.

I don't disagree that having a settled squad can be a benefit but there will be big changes again this summer whichever league we are in.

Your last comment suggested that an optimistic post was nothing to do with what has been seen on the pitch (despite the good quality of football - agreed lacking end product ; despite the fine margin of every defeat we've suffered). The reality was that YOU were not considering what's happened ON the pitch. You are only concerned with the number of points we have acquired (or not). Points can be lost on fine margins.

You also cannot just wave a wand, decide on a new set of tactics and see them instantly adopted effectively. When you make changes you have to give them time to bed in and you have to give the people involved the time to adapt.

You have a short term, points at any cost mentality. You are also swapping your arguments round just to be as negative as you can be.

There are far more positives than negatives at the moment. Considering our fan base, and therefore income we are in a very stable position, the manager has in most peoples eyes done an exellent job, and the whole structure of the club is in a better place than when LJ arrived. I believe that by the time the new stand is built and in use we will be in a lot stronger position than we have been for many years. We are slowly moving forward, and cannot expect miracles to happen overnight, but I see a very rosie future for the club. If as a club we continue to do the right things, and have patience, and trust in SK and LJ, a very steady upward curve will be appearing on the horizon soon.

Don't remember mentioning luck as I believe you make your own....margins is an easy one just look at the stats for every game, we outplay opponents but just lack the cutting edge that has already been identified and is by the sounds of it and hopefully being resolved. LJ is at least man enough to admit when a signing hasn't been a success something that never happened under Dickov, Penney et al.

We will win enough games playing an attractive style of play so why would you wish for 10 1-0 hoof ball wins? Furthermore the reputation we are getting (having heard from fans of other clubs fans not on LJ's say so) will no doubt make us a more attractive proposition when trying to recruit players

I'm still a massive Johnson fan.

Me too.

But, the results aren't good enough

Agreed.

we should be higher up the League.

Agreed. That said, you yourself stated, before a ball had been kicked, that you thought we'd be in a relegation battle for the season.

Also, Me or you could have kept that squad up last year. We were never gonna go down with some of the :censored: we had around us and some of the players in our squad...

Perhaps. I'm not sure Dickov was going to though.

Your last comment suggested that an optimistic post was nothing to do with what has been seen on the pitch (despite the good quality of football - agreed lacking end product ; despite the fine margin of every defeat we've suffered). The reality was that YOU were not considering what's happened ON the pitch. You are only concerned with the number of points we have acquired (or not). Points can be lost on fine margins.

You also cannot just wave a wand, decide on a new set of tactics and see them instantly adopted effectively. When you make changes you have to give them time to bed in and you have to give the people involved the time to adapt.

You have a short term, points at any cost mentality. You are also swapping your arguments round just to be as negative as you can be.

Haha wish I had written this instead!!!

I don't think any of us could have kept us up last year in those circumstances, half the coaching staff gone, tp is a great coach don't get me wrong but it started to get twitchy bum time for me towards the end of his spell in charge. Then came lj, the semi mysterious signing of Korey before his appointment and the emergence of Mellor etc, I for one doubted that choice I wanted a Murray type in midfield, a been there done it type not young lads