FAO Barry Owen

If vocal support were measured by ego, we'd surely have the best support in the land. I wonder how many of the fans who demand so much more info from the club do so of their employers, their banks, their supermarkets......their kids even. Before the internet, you could write in to the chron at best. Now access is free to all it seems to lead to every moron and his dog believing they have a right to demand answers to every action taken. Oldham Athletic is a business and as such, we are extremely lucky to have a voice on the board of directors. That voice is in a no-win situation and too many keyboard warriors try to take advantage of that compromise. We're a third division club with low crowds in a broken town. Without Simon Corney, we likely wouldn't have a Barry Owen on the board, without Barry Owen, we likely wouldn't get the fans forums, we wouldn't have the links to the club from this message board and we would all know far less than we do now. What do people really want? Corney and Owen stick it out no matter what :censored:e comes back at them because they realise that there are reasonable, understanding people out there who appreciate the feedback they give. Stockport County......there but for the grace of God go we!

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol Yes I have a 3D printer its working on a new striker right now. Even Asda do 3D

Agree change but in all honesty think we are doing ok to survive right now considering the massive negative change in football finances.

While you're at it, can you print off a new fans' rep? One that doesn't dangle carrots.

Ta.

Edited by excharnwoodlatic

The club needs revenue streams away from the gate and other football related income. This is the message we are told over and over. Now if a someone rode over the hill in shining armour to save our club provided some who knows what could happen.

So, let me get this right.

The club is happy to discuss undisclosed information in a face-to-face environment, knowing full-well that this information will be subsequently released into the public domain via social media where it is often open to interpretation?

Right.

Maybe, in an era when the word 'transparency' is used a lot, the football authorities should make it a rule that all transfer fees must be disclosed.

Maybe, in an era when the word 'transparency' is used a lot, the football authorities should make it a rule that all transfer fees must be disclosed.

The problem being it's not just a fee.

There's the fee.

The add on clause.

The appearance clause which can be based on minutes on the pitch (why Wenger used to bring on Oxlaide-Chamberlain late on)

There's the sell on clause.

There's the international appearance clause.

There's the instalments, often monthly.

There's the VAT.

The signing on fee.

The agent fee.

The loyalty trigger payment.

I've probably missed something.

Rarely straight forwards. So which bits should have to be disclosed? And unless you gave a chunky shareholding, why is it really anybody else's business?

Edited by opinions4u

So we have Socrates on the board now!

'Clearly' we didn't want to keep him then. What type of club do we really hope to be then?

Or as it will no doubt be quoted 'once a player wants to leave!' Bull:censored: baffles brains.

No, I have been here since it's inception....!

Have you thought that we could not keep him? He refused a new contract. He could go for nothing in June. I suspect you would be

one of the first shouting from the rooftops if we let him go for nothing in June.

Well he did pass the ball to the manager to do the engaging it seems.

Well he did pass the ball to the manager to do the engaging it seems.

Well lets look at each question, I doubt Barry is responsible for the answers to most of them. In fact he has put the people forward who are. If they wish being the critical point. There is no obligation.

Why was the Tarky fee undisclosed (as usual and sorry I'm not buying the 'we don't want other clubs / players knowing we've had a windfall - they all know we ain't got a pot to piss in)

Undisclosed is common practice now. May have been Brentford's stipulation. 83 of Jan's transfers were undisclosed, 82 were free, over 100 were loan. 13 had the prices stated. Its the norm. People need to get used to it.

What has happened to the copious amounts of wages saved on Rooney, Tarky, Schmeltz, Byrnes to name a few

Manager and SC best placed to answer that one. No obligation to do so. But it is fairly obvious.

What did we make on the Stephens deal.

Mgr and SC again. But who says they should answer it. Certainly not for Barry to be releasing that info.

Explain the departure of Luke Simpson ( not just a 1 liner of fishal)

100% manager call.

SC has always said his door is open so feel free to DM details on how and when to contact him if you feel that is the better course of action......just for your info I'm not sure his email is working as I have emailed him a few times with ideas and never received a reply!

Well Barry could give the email, but it is up t SC to reply. If he wants to . The suggestions could have been ludicrous. I doubt it given the posters reasonable demeanour.

Perhaps I could demand to know what the questions were.... :-) You know in a private email...!!!!

It seems to me, some people think we are playing a giant game of Champ Manager. Or we are own by MyFootballClub a la Ebbsfleet were.

....is Corney's offer still on the table inviting fans in to look through the books?

Perhaps a few should take up that offer?! Even if confidential, I'd be content if one or two survived the encounter and confirmed their happiness with what was confirmed.

Failing that, I don't give a toss of how Corney balances the books with comings and goings as long as -

1. We still have a club in 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 years time

2. The new stand is still bring built

3. LJ is still allowed to bring in players that he's scouted and within a budget that he's agreed upon allowed to sign to strengthen the team or develop to sell on for future investment

4. We're not in a relegation battle

5. We're playing attractive football