North Stand Construction Thread

Main stand should be demolished as soon as the new stand is fully functioning and planning approval passed for a single tiered stand IMO...

No time for sentiment in this game that doesn't pay the bills

Hopefully the number of new fans the opening of the new stand brings offsets the loss of any fans that leave due to mothballing of the main stand...

Changing rooms ,ticket office etc all in mainstand not to mention that's were the teams enter and exit the field you could just demolish it.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thin kyou'll find that was "Whitbread big head Trophy bitter, the pint that thinks it's a quart" ANd it was as closely related to beer as John Smith's Extra Smooth is today!

Absolutely correct, thanks for pointing that out. My addled brain confusing with "I wish I was in Greenhall Whitley land, where beer is cold and hearts or warm etc etc"?

Changing rooms ,ticket office etc all in mainstand not to mention that's were the teams enter and exit the field you could just demolish it.

Easily fixed with temporary structures not ideal or professional but by that logic it can never come down!

It's an eyesore and is falling apart...I know it will put off the next generation of fans as the facilities in there are terrible.

Like I said before no time for sentiment we are in a business and people expect better standards of facilities

Portacabins and bus shelters

And the board room? The kitchen? The laundry room? The managers office? The boot room?

Never getting knocked down. Part of it closed maybe but not knocked down.

Plus fans will stop coming if they are forced from their high dry seat to a lower, wetter and more expensive one.

And the board room? The kitchen? The laundry room? The managers office? The boot room?

Plus fans will stop coming if they are forced from their high dry seat to a lower, wetter and more expensive one.

Correct Monty, and many won't want to go behind the goal either.

Posher portacabins.

The more I think about this, it would have made much more sense to build a new main stand with all the facilities listed above in the new north stand, then we wouldn't have a problem if/when the current main stand is replaced. All down to the money available though I suppose.

This was my thought from the start, I was surprised when they didn't go for that option. It's my only real criticism of the new stand.

This was my thought from the start, I was surprised when they didn't go for that option. It's my only real criticism of the new stand.

Most of those things don't make us any cash...the idea of the new stand is to maximise space that drives revenue.

The demolition/rebuild of the main stand is inevitable I just don't think Corney has the appetite for it...it will probably be demolished with temporary structures for those things lost like changing rooms, physio rooms. I believe the new stand has kitchens and meeting rooms.

The more I think about this, it would have made much more sense to build a new main stand with all the facilities listed above in the new north stand, then we wouldn't have a problem if/when the current main stand is replaced. All down to the money available though I suppose.

I posted this a while ago as well. It was the only side of the ground that could have been properly developed. Given that there are householders to complain on Furtherwood Road and behind the Chaddy.

No way should you have the mainstand on Furtherwood Rd, it was OK back in the day when cars were scarce and bycicles were aplenty.

Whilst I agree that the new stand was built purely to boost commercial revenue which we desperately need however a main entrance on the old mainstand site with it's lack of access and it's close proximity to housing is not an ideal situation for the club in the future.

The North stand would have been perfect and cannot understand the lack of future provision for these facilities within it.

The only other alternative would be to incorporate a main entrance at one end of the stand beneath a developed corner ie. Chaddy or RRE and perhaps this is the intention.

Just throwing it out there, but whats stopping the club building new office space or whatever completely seperate to the stands, say a new independant building on the car park? Only changing rooms realistically have to be in the stands and in the grand scheme of things thats relatively small

I'd be amazed if the hospital couldn't rent us some spare office space for an interim period. They could probably take our laundry come to that. Surely the new facilities are flexible enough to provide meeting rooms as and when required? That's what lots of places do these days. What do we actually need?

Things such as the board room, the managers office and the boot room would be temporarily housed in the new north stand no worries it would not cause us logistical problems, as long as its a temporary measure, and we start building the new main stand straight away. Yesterday I was lucky enough to get a full tour of Goodison Park my company does the hospitality and catering for the stadium. As you can imagine its cramped they have plenty of hospitality rooms which double up as office space during the week when a game isnt on.

The boardroom they have there is tiny and very old school so much so that Bill Kenwright has only allowed women into the boardroom on match days in the last few years, even now they still have to sit on a seperate table to the directors. The boxes those ones going infront of the dugouts as you look at them on the camera go for £50k a season as a comparison boxes in the gods of Old traffords north stand with a restricted view of the pitch go for £60K a season and have a 5 year waiting list.

They have about 50 functions there every year on non match days mainly weddngs and funerals.

On average the average home fan spend around £2 on catering pies and pints per game the average away fan spends around £3.70

I asked how they deal with making sure they order the right amount of hot food per game. the guy who runs the stadium told me that its very hard to judge however they record how much they sell and what they sell every game and use that to judge how much they should order the next time round.

In terms of how much they make (obviously this doesnt include match ticket sales to the general public) 50% is earned from match day hospitality 30% is made from catering in the stands (pies and pints) and 20% from non match day functions weddings funerals etc. This maybe different from our new stand as they are feeding 1500 people in hospitality every game, we obvioulsy wont do that, we wont be selling boxes for £50K a season either.

They also said that the smoking ban made a difference as people would less likely come into the stadium early to get a drink in if they cant have a smoke at the same time (is a smoking area available in the new stand.

Oh and they say the fans can be fickle and when the team are losing can take it out on the catering staff sound familiar?

Just throwing it out there, but whats stopping the club building new office space or whatever completely seperate to the stands, say a new independant building on the car park? Only changing rooms realistically have to be in the stands and in the grand scheme of things thats relatively small

At a guess, I'd suppose it's preferable to include the money spinning surfaces within the actual ground. That way it becomes inseparable from the football.

I'd be amazed if the hospital couldn't rent us some spare office space for an interim period. They could probably take our laundry come to that. Surely the new facilities are flexible enough to provide meeting rooms as and when required? That's what lots of places do these days. What do we actually need?

Hospitals don't really have any spare office space; I'm not sure Oldham had that much office space to begin with as a lot of the office stuff takes place at Crumpsall.

As to the laundry- I doubt the hospital has room to cover the clubs as well- hospital laundry facilities are a 24/7 job. I'm not sure the club would want to use them either; whilst I have no doubt that the hospital will wash things as throughly as it can it still might not get rid of everything. The club DO NOT want to get the kit cross-contaminated with the sort of germs that survive in hospitals.

If we needed office space etc I think the best solution would be to use the office space in the new stand- the changing rooms would be a bit of an issue but lots of teams have coped with changing in portakabins in the past, no reason why we couldn't do the same.

The entire old maternity block's empty, they rent it out for filming (Last Tango in Halifax among other things). Don't know how keen they'd be to rent out office space to an outside organisation though.

And just in case anyone due to go in for an op is now :censored:ting themselves about dying of MRSA, I can assure you that hospital linen gets washed considerably more thoroughly than polyester shirts covered in nothing worse than mud.

Archived