RRE vs Chaddy

How it sounded from outside is another matter

Today the noise from the RRE was far louder than the week before. I did hear the chadfy last week, but not that much. I could see it going, but not hear it much.

There really was no comparison

Edited by pukka

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today the noise from the RRE was far louder than the week before. I did hear the chadfy last week, but not that much. I could see it going, but not hear it much.

There really was no comparison

This.

No comparison between the 2 weeks; today was actually fantastic.

Today was the first league game in years where I've thoroughly enjoyed myself from beginning to end.

This, this and this again is why it should all be about the RRE.

I have been a ST holder in the main stand for many years (25 years) and love Latics so much...however TTA's reluctance to spend anything over the last few years has made me seriously consider renewing.

I am definitely renewing after today (probably was anyway) because that atmosphere was fantastic!

Today was great and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up because it's always the away fans that stand out at BP.

Let's take this and embrace it for the future of OAFC, it's only a stand move at the end of the day.

Right as an exiled Lookersite who is currently a ST holder the MSU, and as someone who prior to today hadn't watched a game from the RRE, I'd like to give my fairly unbiased view of the Chaddy/RRE debate, so warning this is a bit of a long post, hence why I've put most of it in spoiler mode

Firstly, the "better" atmosphere in the RRE. I think that when both ends are singing the RRE is better heard in the main-stand, but quite frankly I heard the Chaddy quite well last week (from the MSU RRE side) and hear them well when the opposition have the RRE, provided they sing of course. But judging by the comments of Pukka and Sly, who I think I sit roughly above, the RRE was louder today than the Chaddy was last week. I've been in Chaddy when we've been in this league, when it has been louder than today was in the RRE. Essentially my view is that stands don't make the noise, the people in them do, silence from the Chaddy sounds the same as silence from the RRE, and the Chaddy can outsing the opposition in the RRE. Put Oldham fans who want to create noise together and we create noise, it doesn't matter where that is.

The better facilities, yes the Gents toilets are nicer, and there is more urinal space, but their layout is appalling, unless you are a man that doesn't wash his hands. The hand basins are not in a good place and neither are the cubicles. Obviously I cannot comment on the other toileting areas.

I was impressed with the service from the caterers in the RRE, a queue of people, a loud who's next and Bob's your Uncle. But because I was driving I wasn't after anything alcoholic, so can't really comment on that side, plus it looked like the bar and the soft drink/food were different queues, that always used to annoy me at away games, but as I don't eat pies anymore it's less of an issue. I also presume that unlike the main stand you can't pre-order your drink for half-time. But at least you can get an alcoholic drink there, unlike the Chaddy. However, I wouldn't want to be in a long queue of people for food and/or drink on a day like we had last Sat. At least in the Chaddy you can stay relatively dry if the weather is like that. Plus the service in the Chaddy could easily be improved by having more people working, and/or by selling booze.

The fans, I don't know if it was because I was sat towards the back and on the aisle, but those in the RRE don't half move about whilst the game is on, it was worse than away games and certainly worse than the Chaddy and the Main Stand, it might just be me but I found it particularly irritating today. Plus maybe because I was unfortunate enough to be sat in front of a moaning elderly gentleman but he could out moan the main stand, and it's 2014, homophobia is illegal. He didn't moan at the players or about the performance on the pitch, unless it was the officials, but most of the time those moans were wrong anyway.

The view, the RRE doesn't have pillars and because a significant proportion of the unrestricted views in the Chaddy are held by ST holders if you aren't a ST holder the RRE has a better view. However, it did seem like being at the back of the RRE stand is further away than being at the back of the Chaddy and the RRE is a bit more exposed to the elements, see last week. Presumably, when the new stand is built fans can either have pillars in their view or be more exposed to the elements at the front of the stands, as is the case now.

Oh and whilst the PA is bad in every stand it is inaudible in the RRE seats, (could hear it fine outside), that needs addressing.

So in summary, I think, as expected, a lot of the fuss about which stand is better has been blown out of all proportion, there are positives and negatives to all the stands and no stand is the Shangri-La of Boundary Park. The people in the stands, and the people wearing blue on the pitch are what makes stands and games good.

However, as I said earlier in the thread, forcing those in the Chaddy end to move because some people think the RRE is the better stand is silly in the extreme. Especially as quite a few of those who are unwilling to move have been sat/stood in the Chaddy end longer than seemingly the more vocal of the pro-movers have been alive. Our fan base is not big enough at this level to be able to afford to lose some regulars just because other regulars, and others feel that the RRE should be the "home" end. As some others have said, the opinion on here doesn't matter as much as the numbers through the turnstiles, but even that is not accurate enough, as when the new stand is built, and if the RRE was the same price as the Chaddy then I could see the RRE being significantly less popular than the Chaddy, even if it isn't now. Furthermore as others have said whilst I've tried to be impartial my opinion in the Chaddy/RRE debate doesn't matter as much as I prefer to sit on the sides.

Edited by rudemedic

Right as an exiled Lookersite who is currently a ST holder the MSU, and as someone who prior to today hadn't watched a game from the RRE, I'd like to give my fairly unbiased view of the Chaddy/RRE debate, so warning this is a bit of a long post, hence why I've put most of it in spoiler mode

Firstly, the "better" atmosphere in the RRE. I think that when both ends are singing the RRE is better heard in the main-stand, but quite frankly I heard the Chaddy quite well last week (from the MSU RRE side) and hear them well when the opposition have the RRE, provided they sing of course. But judging by the comments of Pukka and Sly, who I think I sit roughly above, the RRE was louder today than the Chaddy was last week. I've been in Chaddy when we've been in this league, when it has been louder than today was in the RRE. Essentially my view is that stands don't make the noise, the people in them do, silence from the Chaddy sounds the same as silence from the RRE, and the Chaddy can outsing the opposition in the RRE. Put Oldham fans who want to create noise together and we create noise, it doesn't matter where that is.

The better facilities, yes the Gents toilets are nicer, and there is more urinal space, but their layout is appalling, unless you are a man that doesn't wash his hands. The hand basins are not in a good place and neither are the cubicles. Obviously I cannot comment on the other toileting areas.

I was impressed with the service from the caterers in the RRE, a queue of people, a loud who's next and Bob's your Uncle. But because I was driving I wasn't after anything alcoholic, so can't really comment on that side, plus it looked like the bar and the soft drink/food were different queues, that always used to annoy me at away games, but as I don't eat pies anymore it's less of an issue. I also presume that unlike the main stand you can't pre-order your drink for half-time. But at least you can get an alcoholic drink there, unlike the Chaddy. However, I wouldn't want to be in a long queue of people for food and/or drink on a day like we had last Sat. At least in the Chaddy you can stay relatively dry if the weather is like that. Plus the service in the Chaddy could easily be improved by having more people working, and/or by selling booze.

The fans, I don't know if it was because I was sat towards the back and on the aisle, but those in the RRE don't half move about whilst the game is on, it was worse than away games and certainly worse than the Chaddy and the Main Stand, it might just be me but I found it particularly irritating today. Plus maybe because I was unfortunate enough to be sat in front of a moaning elderly gentleman but he could out moan the main stand, and it's 2014, homophobia is illegal. He didn't moan at the players or about the performance on the pitch, unless it was the officials, but most of the time those moans were wrong anyway.

The view, the RRE doesn't have pillars and because a significant proportion of the unrestricted views in the Chaddy are held by ST holders if you aren't a ST holder the RRE has a better view. However, it did seem like being at the back of the RRE stand is further away than being at the back of the Chaddy and the RRE is a bit more exposed to the elements, see last week. Presumably, when the new stand is built fans can either have pillars in their view or be more exposed to the elements at the front of the stands, as is the case now.

Oh and whilst the PA is bad in every stand it is inaudible in the RRE seats, (could hear it fine outside), that needs addressing.

So in summary, I think, as expected, a lot of the fuss about which stand is better has been blown out of all proportion, there are positives and negatives to all the stands and no stand is the Shangri-La of Boundary Park. The people in the stands, and the people wearing blue on the pitch are what makes stands and games good.

However, as I said earlier in the thread, forcing those in the Chaddy end to move because some people think the RRE is the better stand is silly in the extreme. Especially as quite a few of those who are unwilling to move have been sat/stood in the Chaddy end longer than seemingly the more vocal of the pro-movers have been alive. Our fan base is not big enough at this level to be able to afford to lose some regulars just because other regulars, and others feel that the RRE should be the "home" end. As some others have said, the opinion on here doesn't matter as much as the numbers through the turnstiles, but even that is not accurate enough, as when the new stand is built, and if the RRE was the same price as the Chaddy then I could see the RRE being significantly less popular than the Chaddy, even if it isn't now. Furthermore as others have said whilst I've tried to be impartial my opinion in the Chaddy/RRE debate doesn't matter as much as I prefer to sit on the sides.

Did you actually go today?

Yep, did you read all my post?

Sorry Doc, no offence meant... It really wasn't 100% clear!

I respect your views, but beg to differ because today was a different class and I haven't ever seen that atmosphere at Latics with only 4,000 there!

Sorry Doc, no offence meant... It really wasn't 100% clear!

I respect your views, but beg to differ because today was a different class and I haven't ever seen that atmosphere at Latics with only 4,000 there!

OK, maybe I was just unlucky as I seem to have been the only person to change stands to the RRE today and felt it wasn't as good as others have made out.

Anyone who prefers the chaddy to the rre really needs to have a reality check, rre is the future, chaddy needs knocking down ASAP

So if they knock it down ASAP, do we just leave it? So we finally get a 4th stand and then go back to 3? Or do we rebuild it? And then the Chaddy is the future because it's newer and has better "facilities"

OK, maybe I was just unlucky as I seem to have been the only person to change stands to the RRE today and felt it wasn't as good as others have made out.

Shame you wasn't in the main stand today (I know you go in there occasionally).

The noise was the best I have heard from a home crowd for many years in the league!

In the Chaddy last week, the noise was constant, but it wasn't really that loud. No idea what it sounded like outside of the Chaddy.

In the Chaddy today, the noise from the RRE was constant (in the 2nd half) but it wasn't really that loud.

So 2 things. The singers might be louder once their voices break. But more importantly, the fans who generated the noise in the last 2 weeks are mostly the same people and they usually sit in the RRE...why haven't they done that every week?

Generating a good atmosphere will get a few more people coming to Boundary Park on a regular basis. There's many times I've sat in the Chaddy End and it's felt far from a matchday experience. I'm all for anything which will improve the matchday experience and atmosphere.

In the Chaddy last week, the noise was constant, but it wasn't really that loud. No idea what it sounded like outside of the Chaddy.

In the Chaddy today, the noise from the RRE was constant (in the 2nd half) but it wasn't really that loud.

So 2 things. The singers might be louder once their voices break. But more importantly, the fans who generated the noise in the last 2 weeks are mostly the same people and they usually sit in the RRE...why haven't they done that every week?

Must have some hearing difficulty. Could not hear the chaddy from the paddock RRE side sgainst crawley.Switched to go to chaddy side to see if I could hear and it was constant and loud.

No.

How come you don't know this?

It's just with you saying that we need to deliver decent winning football again to get an atmosphere???

Turns out that was very wrong because we drew 0-0 today and it was the best atmosphere at a league match for some years!

Must have some hearing difficulty. Could not hear the chaddy from the paddock RRE side sgainst crawley.Switched to go to chaddy side to see if I could hear and it was constant and loud.

I was sat in the stand, having a conversation with my old man and neither of us had to speak even slightly louder than usual to hear each other above the din. Must be my hearing difficulties.