Barry Owen interview

I asked on here and asked rick face to face, bearing in mind I'm thinking of joining;-

How many members does the trust have and how have the numbers changed?

How much did the trust raise last year?

What plans do you have to change the constitution?

I was told -we have, erm well, can't really say how many fans; I definitely can't be told how much was raised, and I can't be told how they are thinking of changing the constitution.

So, essentially they want people to join without knowing what they "might" get (seen enough promises to know that they seldom see it through when it comes to fans) - it's abit like those dodgy market traders who show you a box with a PS4, iPhone and Blu-ray player and then ask you to bid on a similar sized box without seeing what's in it.

I told rick that this sort of approach destroys momentum and puts an expectation of faith onto the fans that they simply have no right to expect.

If i'm buying shares in a company (which this is akin to) I can get hold of annual reports with a wealth of detail on turnover, profits, trading expectations; I can check rivals and the market. Trust Oldham is like a back-room boiler shop - no answers in any quotable media and none face to face. And they wonder why no-one wants to help?

I'm not buying on that basis. But I assume that makes me a "Cynic on OWTB" - thanks Barry.

The Trust is now a Limited (By Guarantee) Company (Number 08860767) formed as Oldham Athletic Supporters Foundation Limited on 24/01/2014.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does rather. And, for as long as Barry perceives anyone who questions his position/performance and the running of the Trust as nothing more than a troublemaker, the situation won't change.

And there's the rub. Barry has, by any reasonable definition, failed as Trust Chairman, since the Trust has effectively ceased to exist under his leadership. Yet he thinks he is doing a good job as Trust Chairman because of the good work he does a club director. It's not hard to see the way forward here.

BP has hit the nail on the head (though I do think a better job could be done re. The Trust as other clubs fans have managed). We are all willing to complain about the Trust (me included) saying that it needs to change but we are seemingly unwilling to do anything about it until it is changed. When I think of the Trust, I don't think of a dynamic, robust organisation which is a single minded closed shop, I think the opposite. I think it has potential and perhaps it can change easier than we think with help. As far as I understand, any member should be able to propose changes, so It's perhaps not the closed shop some think it to be.

I also think that we have a particular good vehicle in OWTB in that it would be quite easy for us to get behind one individual and create a massive dent in the organisation, if we wanted to.

If it was a different time in my life, I would probably have been interested in getting involved myself. Though I have a busy job and a young family. But would be more than willing to stick my support behind someone who can.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I don't think it will take a civil war to change things. The Trust are demonstrably trying to put in place a team to improve communications and engagement (see Rick Attwood's plea on another thread). Everyone agrees things need to change, but to do that you need people to put in time and effort. A decent up-to-date website can't happen without people. A genuine dialogue between the body of fans and the trust can't be conducted by Barry on one side and everyone else on the other.

Similarly, there's an argument for direct election via a membership-wide franchise for fixed periods, but again, that needs serious thinking and work, and it's not something that Barry (or any one person) can do alone.

Clearly this is positive and needs to be ignored.

I don't think it will take a civil war to change things. The Trust are demonstrably trying to put in place a team to improve communications and engagement (see Rick Attwood's plea on another thread). Everyone agrees things need to change, but to do that you need people to put in time and effort. A decent up-to-date website can't happen without people. A genuine dialogue between the body of fans and the trust can't be conducted by Barry on one side and everyone else on the other.

Similarly, there's an argument for direct election via a membership-wide franchise for fixed periods, but again, that needs serious thinking and work, and it's not something that Barry (or any one person) can do alone.

Well said 24

Using your own logic here why have you not put yourself forward as the attacking midfielder we've so desperately been in need of?

As you know I nominated a younger man who the Latics fancied, but joined Chesterfield instead. I'm quite happy with Harkins as an alternative though.