Praise from Bradford fans

wind it in, read what I said a couple should of known better if you think its all sweet and innocent fine, carry on kidding yourself.

In hindsight it wasn't the most appropriate thing to sing but I think you have to understand that there was no intent, please don't let it overshadow a great away win...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shocking that so many died, but so many older fans?? Seems that the majority are 70+ years old??

Plus, three Ormondroyds. Didn't think it was a common surname. Any relation to ex Latic Ian??

Edit: Maybe not majority, but nearly half....

Edited by Snookmeister

Dont tell me its over the top ive been to nearly every away game this season and havent heard it once so although some might of been guilty of singing along with it there were a couple who should of known better will leave it at that but for me it left a bad taste.

well you're taking it worse then the bradford fans so that might suggest you need to be a bit more understanding of why it was sung... the lads singing it meant no malice at all! lighten up pal

well you're taking it worse then the bradford fans so that might suggest you need to be a bit more understanding of why it was sung... the lads singing it meant no malice at all! lighten up pal

Ive said it left a bad taste thats how I felt and that wont change. I enjoyed the win as much as anyone. Great win and great support.

Firstly well done for today's performance both on the pitch and off it, by far the best set of fans we've had this season. We weren't at the races at all but that should take nothing away from your lads.

In terms of the chant - I can only remember one other occasion where it has been sung and similarly to today it seemed to be stopped pretty quickly when some of the older generation obviously pointed out the link to the singers. It's not ideal by any means as there are a lot of Bradford fans still deeply affected by it, especially when sat in that very ground, but it's taken in context and we recognise that no real malice was meant. If it had continued past one rendition there may have been some sort of reaction but thanks to the lads in your end who put a stop to it.

Given that we remember the fire in a relatively low key and insular way it's not really a surprise that some of the younger generation aren't aware of what happened. The video is obviously shocking and a very direct way of informing people but the stories behind it, Including those from Stuart McCall, Greg Abbott, Gabby Yorath and Don Goodman (who lost his ex girlfriend in the fire) really bring home the effects of what happened.

http://bradfordcityfire.co.uk/category/stories/

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Edited by The Bantam Menace

Shocking that so many died, but so many older fans?? Seems that the majority are 70+ years old??

Plus, three Ormondroyds. Didn't think it was a common surname. Any relation to ex Latic Ian??

It was one of the side stands, and it was seated, unlike at least one of the ends. So there might have been a higher than average % of older fans in the stand anyway. Plus the speed the fire becomes deadly and inescapable is frightening, older people tend not to have the speed of movement that was very sadly required.

I sang the song and I apologise for any offence caused, like many fans today I assume it was sang with no malice and more towards the fact of fans leaving early.

The Bradford fire and the people that lost their lives is something that should never be forgotten and looking back at my actions I can see how insensitive it was, but there was certainly no intent from my actions.

When you see how quickly the whole stand became a massive inferno, I think it's amazing more weren't killed. Within a few minutes of the game stopping, the stand was just a huge ball of fire.

Firstly well done for today's performance both on the pitch and off it, by far the best set of fans we've had this season. We weren't at the races at all but that should take nothing away from your lads.

In terms of the chant - I can only remember one other occasion where it has been sung and similarly to today it seemed to be stopped pretty quickly when some of the older generation obviously pointed out the link to the singers. It's not ideal by any means as there are a lot of Bradford fans still deeply affected by it, especially when sat in that very ground, but it's taken in context and we recognise that no real malice was meant. If it had continued past one rendition there may have been some sort of reaction but thanks to the lads in your end who put a stop to it.

Given that we remember the fire in a relatively low key and insular way it's not really a surprise that some of the younger generation aren't aware of what happened. The video is obviously shocking and a very direct way of informing people but the stories behind it, Including those from Stuart McCall, Greg Abbott, Gabby Yorath and Don Goodman (who lost his ex girlfriend in the fire) really bring home the effects of what happened.

http://bradfordcityfire.co.uk/category/stories/

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Although many admit that following your chosen team is tribal the "Menace" and the response those of the Latics fans that unwittingly caused this thread reminded me that the majority of football fans are honest genuine people with the love of the game at heart

I sang the song and I apologise for any offence caused, like many fans today I assume it was sang with no malice and more towards the fact of fans leaving early.

The Bradford fire and the people that lost their lives is something that should never be forgotten and looking back at my actions I can see how insensitive it was, but there was certainly no intent from my actions.

Fair play to you lad.

Wasn't there today myself, but heard about the chant. First thing I thought was that's pure brainlessness. And I think that's all it was.

Maybe people (the younger lads) just need a bit of an education?

Don't know how we'd do this though.

Fair play to you lad.

Wasn't there today myself, but heard about the chant. First thing I thought was that's pure brainlessness. And I think that's all it was.

Maybe people (the younger lads) just need a bit of an education?

Don't know how we'd do this though.

I'm in the brainless queue too. I'm 46. The fire itself is etched on my brain. I can recall commentator John Helm saying "I hope the stand doesn't burn down" on the news reports. It affected me. Not quite the way to celebrate a promotion season.

I sat at Valley Parade yesterday pondering the fire before kick off and how Bradford has redeveloped their stadium since. I've previously stood on the old Midland Road terrace (opposite the main stand, a slope with a cow shed roof big enough for seven rows of people) and pondered the same thing. Real people died here for doing what I do.

Last time I was there I recall John Sheridan being sent to the stands and sitting in the bit where the big flag was yesterday. A big flag remembering the fire.

Although I didn't join in the song I was happy. The implications of offence and bad taste didn't hit me until the M606. At the time I was pondering whether this would be the first league game this season where we won both halves (it would have been without the late goal) and enjoying a decent win.

Not malicious on my part. Just living in the moment. I get why the song was sung. I understand any upset caused (albeit later than I should have done) and I think we all regret it.

Referring back to the video you see how many normal people react. Kids laughing and dancing on the pitch. Teens arsing about waving at the cameras. Then it turns to people leaping over the barriers. Then the awkwardness of the less mobile rolling over the barriers to get out. Then the impact of the heat as the police and others try to reach those already on the pitch but overcome by smoke. People there to do what any football fan would do. Savour the last day of what had been a great season.

Worth a pause. Worth a moment of researching Burnden, Ibrox, Heysel, Hillsborough and others.

I think people would realise more if it was publicised. You never hear the media say much like Hillsborough

The anniversary date is often after the season has ended.

The causes were established efficiently. The authorities and the club acted properly in the aftermath.

to make matters worse mrs ormonndroyds was working at the hospital were the bodies were brought. I cant imagine the pain of having to identify your husband and sons.

In the seasons around the time of the fire I watched us from the back of the Chaddy. The terrace at the back was wood with gaps in between. I liked the fact that you could sit on the wood, without the risk of getting Johnny Giles, and if the fare on the BP pitch was poor, as it typically was then, you could look out of the windows at the back and watch the matches on Clayton. The only hazard, or so I thought, was jumping up when we scored and banging your head on a metal joist.

However those gaps in between allowed rubbish to fall through and accumulate underneath, it would have only taken a discarded fag end the whole lot could have gone up. But for the grace of God......