"We are staying up"

Am I alone in finding it a bit annoying & depressing when this is sung?

Is it something to be celebrated?

What message does it send to Johnson, the players & the owners - that 20th place is an achievement?

Fair enough when we were battling against all odds at the bottom of the Premier League but, now?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer it to "We're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen" because this is a ridiculous claim for any League One outfit to make. At least "We are staying up" is honest and can ultimately be backed up with evidence, which I enjoy.

I'd like to hear someone put "We've played better and lost" or "I hope we kick on next season and flirt with the play-offs (regardless of our budget)" into a chant. Something with a hint of ambition but not completely stupid.

we can do this thing (although I suspect that mathematically we can't)

while it's mathematically possible... (although i suspect it isn't as some of the teams probably have to play each other and are therefore guaranteed something)

It can be done. The only - ONLY - thing stopping us is Peterborough's absolute pisser of a run in.

Never sung it, never will.

Well maybe if we get back in the Championship, but not before.

I think I probably did when we stayed up by winning the last game of the season about a decade ago - against Bradford, was it? I think, in that context, it was fair enough.