20 years to the day...

I still struggle to write about that day. As a 15 year old, that goal was the worst moment of my life. Maybe now having lived a little I can find some perspective but at the time I was utterly devastated.

I think the worst thing about it was that the Pointon goal was one of the greatest moments of my life at the time yet I cannot really remember how I felt. The gutting feeling removed all traces of the joy that had preceded it.

A lot is made of what's happened in the 20 years since the game but it is amazing just how raw the feelings still are. I think the main legacy it has created is the unwillingness of many Latics fans to allow themselves to believe. Managers, players and chairmen have commented down the years about the fans not believing we'll succeed when things are going well. That moment is the reason. If you don't believe you don't get hurt.

It must have been a horrible moment, and the months up until the end of the season. And then I suppose the subsequent two decades.

But chins up guys, you saw little Oldham reach the FA Cup final! I didn't make it to any of the cup run as I was otherwise engaged eating biscuits in the shape of animals and sticking Lego up my nose, but I'd give my right arm to see Latics in a cup semi final. Even if it was ended cruelly and undeservedly by a Welshman with a questionable hair stylist.

I got married a week before the game and took my wife on the train from mumps to the game, we are still married and she hasn't been to a game since!!

The goal wasUndoubtedly the worst moment in my footballing life, it left a deep scar that is still weeping!