Wesolowski vs Mvoto quotes

Forgot to mention, wes has scored five. Not bad for a 'workhouse' his ball playing partner has 2.

Korey and Wes play in completely different positions, JCH has scored a lot more than Connor Brown-they play in different positions too!

Yaya Toure has scored 22. You made some good points in your other post but the above completely misses the point and is irrelevant,

Let me ask you this Chris. Why did we sign Byrom, the lad from Preston and then LJ played him in what I (and a lot of others) consider to be his wrong position?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Korey and Wes play in completely different positions, JCH has scored a lot more than Connor Brown-they play in different positions too!

Yaya Toure has scored 22. You made some good points in your other post but the above completely misses the point and is irrelevant,

Let me ask you this Chris. Why did we sign Byrom, the lad from Preston and then LJ played him in what I (and a lot of others) consider to be his wrong position?

I know what your saying with the last point. I tend to agree. Why did he play philliskirk on the left wing for a large parts of the season??? LJ does make strange positional choices, instead of keeping it simple. He's a bit clever for his own good at times.

However to compare a right back an striker- to two central midfielders is a bit odd. How do wes an korey play in 'completely' different positions? One may drop in, while other goes forward, or vice versa, but completely different? Suely to be an effective midfield they have to work together?

My point about the goals isn't to highlight one being better than other, it's to say that wes is a better player than some give credit for, an korey (while a better footballer) doesn't have a vastly superior influence on a game than wes does. In fact their very equal- in their relative effectiveness.

For our budget I like them both, different players, different attributes, both effective/equally important when on song. While we may agree or not.The fact remains though, their both at latics for a reason.

I know what your saying with the last point. I tend to agree. Why did he play philliskirk on the left wing for a large parts of the season??? LJ does make strange positional choices, instead of keeping it simple. He's a bit clever for his own good at times.

However to compare a right back an striker- to two central midfielders is a bit odd. How do wes an korey play in 'completely' different positions? One may drop in, while other goes forward, or vice versa, but completely different? Suely to be an effective midfield they have to work together?

My point about the goals isn't to highlight one being better than other, it's to say that wes is a better player than some give credit for, an korey (while a better footballer) doesn't have a vastly superior influence on a game than wes does. In fact their very equal- in their relative effectiveness.

For our budget I like them both, different players, different attributes, both effective/equally important when on song. While we may agree or not.The fact remains though, their both at latics for a reason.

....what's that sound?

A nails been hit on its head somewhere close...!

The last 2 paragraphs of that post are spot on to me.

....what's that sound?

A nails been hit on its head somewhere close...!

The last 2 paragraphs of that post are spot on to me.

Do you mind, grown-ups are talking!

Smith is our defensive midfielder, plays in much the same position as say Gerrard or Fernadinho, he doesn't get forward much.

Wes does not play alongside him he plays well in advance of him, to use a current expression, at the top of the diamond, although I don't think we actually intend to play it as a diamond, but you appreciate enough to know what I mean!

Smith gets told to sit deep and provide defensive cover, even when we have an attacking corner!

What frustrates me is that Smith could play that role 'in the hole' and I feel that he could do it very well indeed, but as our team is set up he has to stay back BUT it would, in my opinion, be better if we set up differently!

Smith, again in my opinion, is more influential in every match that I have seen, or at least in a large % of them.

I ask again why do you think we signed Byrom and secondly why, in his 1 and only game, was he played out of position?

Smith is a classy player who hasn't delivered as much as he might have this season. He should be influencing games far more, getting forward and creating chances - he has all of the qualities to do so at this level. Wes is a hardworking defensive midfielder who does his job well. Claude Makelele was a huge player when Chelsea were winning the title in Mourinho's first stint at Chelsea - it wasn't pretty, but that really wasn't the point.

For :censored: sake.

Smith is a very good player for L1 Level.

Wes is a good player for L1 level.

We're a lower L1 side, at present.

Therefore to have both those players wearing Oldham shirts is a good thing. Why people feel the need to criticise one of them by praising the other is beyond me.

One is better than the other with the ball at his feet. One is better without the ball at his feet than the other. Both these players compliment each other's style of play and I, for one, wouldn't want to lose either of them.

Gerrard was a better player than Hamann, yet players like Hamann allowed Gerrard to play the way he did.

Gerrard is a better player than Henderson, yet players like Henderson are now allowing Gerrard to play the way he does.

Anyone who labels Wes as "just a carthorse" is talking out of their balloon knot, and quite simply has no grasp of football in general, or certainly at lower league level.

Edited by sjk2008

Agree with that but we do a similar thing when slagging certain players off! There does seem to be no a middle ground with some supporters. Their opinions are "He is incredible and the best player we've ever had" and "He is :censored:e, worst player i've ever seen in a Latics shirt"

spot on this

Philliskirk has to be in the team, Harkins has to be in the team. We don't have a left winger after Montano was sacked.

1 didn't work, 1 does. LJ makes the call and is the manager for a reason. Again I ask why did we sign Byrom after 3 defeats in 4 games and secondly why did LJ play him out of position in his 1 and only game at Crewe?

Philliskirk has to be in the team, Harkins has to be in the team. We don't have a left winger after Montano was sacked.

1 didn't work, 1 does. LJ makes the call and is the manager for a reason. Again I ask why did we sign Byrom after 3 defeats in 4 games and secondly why did LJ play him out of position in his 1 and only game at Crewe?

We signed Byrom as a midfield option as we were struggling with results, LJ played him out of position because he is still learning his trade and is prone to make mistakes which he is slowly starting to learn from. Happy now.

We signed Byrom as a midfield option as we were struggling with results, LJ played him out of position because he is still learning his trade and is prone to make mistakes which he is slowly starting to learn from. Happy now.

Still learning his trade at 27 years old after 5 years in the football league? So no!

Because we were crying out for a physical presence in that area and Winchester weren't gonna cut it.

He clearly means Johnson is learning his trade! Christ! You baffle me!

I misunderstood the post! Apologies to disjointed but not to your good self for being baffled by a simple mistake!

But why sign an attacking creative midfield player out of all the possible players out there and then play him as a defensive midfielder who made Furman look like a forward-as per quotes after the Crewe match. Nobody would go out and spend valuable money on that type of option. Edited by ChaddySmoker

Because we were crying out for a physical presence in that area and Winchester weren't gonna cut it.

In a way I agree with that, but in which area-the defensive midfield area in which he (Byrom) played or the attacking midfield area where he could be expected to play? I agree that CW cannot do either and worse still cannot even get in the team at fullback

I misunderstood the post! Apologies to disjointed but not to your good self for being baffled by a simple mistake!

But why sign an attacking creative midfield player out of all the possible players out there and then play him as a defensive midfielder who made Furman look like a forward-as per quotes after the Crewe match. Nobody would go out and spend valuable money on that type of option.

TBF it nearly worked at Crewe, the way things have worked out since it looked like a precursor to the 4-5-1 which has been relatively successful since, so the experiment looking at it that way, has proved to be right. I stress this is only my opinion and I have been known to be wrong before.

In a way I agree with that, but in which area-the defensive midfield area in which he (Byrom) played or the attacking midfield area where he could be expected to play? I agree that CW cannot do either and worse still cannot even get in the team at fullback

I wouldn't want Winchester at full back now. We have a settled back 4 who are improving as a unit with each game.

TBF it nearly worked at Crewe, the way things have worked out since it looked like a precursor to the 4-5-1 which has been relatively successful since, so the experiment looking at it that way, has proved to be right. I stress this is only my opinion and I have been known to be wrong before.

And I have been known to misunderstand points at times!