Kusunga injured again

Real shame this because other than a few headless incidents he's been impressive and I'd have no second thoughts signing him up for a new deal without the injuries.

We'll struggle to find a versatile defender of his size, with his pace and ability on the ball. Ironically very similar to Lanzoni, so perhaps the foreign market is where we'll look again. Both definitely accomplished players at this level and a kick in the teeth to effectively lose them both along with Tarky.

Edited by NewBlue

Real shame this because other than a few headless incidents he's been impressive and I'd have no second thoughts signing him up for a new deal without the injuries.

We'll struggle to find a versatile defender of his size, with his pace and ability on the ball. Ironically very similar to Lanzoni, so perhaps the foreign market is where we'll look again. Both definitely accomplished players at this level and a kick in the teeth to effectively lose them both along with Tarky.

I totally agree NewBlue about him but we as a club cannot carry injured players. Lanzoni was a much better player in my opinion though and a bigger loss.

I also hope that LJ goes back to his policy of signing free agents who are comfortable with the ball, whether it be from abroad (quite likely) or the UK

I totally agree NewBlue about him but we as a club cannot carry injured players. Lanzoni was a much better player in my opinion though and a bigger loss.

I also hope that LJ goes back to his policy of signing free agents who are comfortable with the ball, whether it be from abroad (quite likely) or the UK

Having said all that our defence at the moment is very solid. Wilson and Lockwood have formed an excellent partnership and we're not conceding many at all. However, I'm not sure how long it will last.

The defence we had earlier in the season, Tarky, Lanzoni, Mills and Kusunga with Grounds as back up, was certainly filled with more individual quality than the one we currently have, but we're more solid now than we were. A case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Question is: next season do we continue with a defence that's proving to be solid, or go after better players in the hope we can make them gel and form a unit with more ability?

Having said all that our defence at the moment is very solid. Wilson and Lockwood have formed an excellent partnership and we're not conceding many at all. However, I'm not sure how long it will last.

The defence we had earlier in the season, Tarky, Lanzoni, Mills and Kusunga with Grounds as back up, was certainly filled with more individual quality than the one we currently have, but we're more solid now than we were. A case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Question is: next season do we continue with a defence that's proving to be solid, or go after better players in the hope we can make them gel and form a unit with more ability?

I would concentrate on getting good comfortable players in the attacking section, the centre backs will do for me, but I think we need better attacking fullbacks as although I agree that 4-5-1 has suited us with the players that we now have, I would love us to go back to that team we put out at Stevenage on the opening day.

I really do hope that LJ goes back this close season to what he wanted last close season, including a 'Sydney' and a 'Montano.' plus a 'Paul Scholes type!'

At any level, you can't really afford to have players who just are not available enough through injury and fitness.

For all his positives as a player in league one, and he has a fair few of them - power, strength, decent composure on the ball, ability to play 2 defensive positions.....the fact that he hasn't managed a game since his sending off vs MK Dons is a huge worry. Added into his Gillingham send off, and the other injuries from earlier in the season, and he's missed huge chunk of the season.

Can we afford - wages and squad depth wise - to have a player like that on the books for the next season? I'd say my answer to that is no.

The question will be if LJ's answer is the same. He did well to find both Kusunga and Lanzoni, there's always the chance he could do the same again. That, or by a shrewd dip into the season long loan market, a replacement for Kusunga who can be available more is really needed IMO.

He'll be gone at the end of the season. Can't say I was impressed by what I saw of him and he's been part of a defence that's kept four clean sheets in his 25 appearances, and in one of those he stupidly got himself sent off. Add in injuries and another sending off and I think there's good reason to release him and look elsewhere.

Think he's a talented defender but we can't carry injury prone players.

Shame. Lanzoni was also a bit injury prone. That's the problem at this level. If you're any good and injury free you play at a higher level. Otherwise you grab a few games lower down and move on every season.

At any level, you can't really afford to have players who just are not available enough through injury and fitness.

For all his positives as a player in league one, and he has a fair few of them - power, strength, decent composure on the ball, ability to play 2 defensive positions.....the fact that he hasn't managed a game since his sending off vs MK Dons is a huge worry. Added into his Gillingham send off, and the other injuries from earlier in the season, and he's missed huge chunk of the season.

Can we afford - wages and squad depth wise - to have a player like that on the books for the next season? I'd say my answer to that is no.

The question will be if LJ's answer is the same. He did well to find both Kusunga and Lanzoni, there's always the chance he could do the same again. That, or by a shrewd dip into the season long loan market, a replacement for Kusunga who can be available more is really needed IMO.

One of the reasons I think LJ may want to keep Grounds.

Edited by BP1960

never rated him. scored winner against posh but was god awful first half.

I was waiting for him to get sent of against mk mongs

out of position to many times and rash into the challenge.

defence looks solid right now and would put him in ahead of any of the current back four.

As one of the Gillingham Massive that is one red card that I will never hold against a player. He wasn't just scythed down, he was decapitated resulting in his near bundling over the advert boards. Their bloke was lucky to be grabbed by the neck rather than sparked out by an enraged full back. Him and Sidney had taken the piss out of them for about 5 minutes, Genseric was pulling off more step overs and tricks than the footballing equivalent of the Harlem Globe Trotters and their lad had had enough of being made a mug and went over the top.

Small point but wanted to make it, he was still banned for three games and in my book he might as well have chinned the lad good and proper. He is a bit too soft tissue injury prone, we can't afford that on our books. Then again, can we afford players who shirk tackles either?

Real shame this, looked solid when he did play most of the time. Never forget how mental he went when he scored against Posh. But as mentioned, we simply can't keep an injury prone player like GK on the books. Best to use that space and wage to better effect.