The title should read away grounds.

Driving down today listening to some QPR fan on his way to complete his final 92 ground on Talk:censored:. He was asked for his favourite 5 grounds and I was disgusted to hear his answers:

Man City

Man Utd

Chelsea

Liverpool

QPR

And so on the long longggg drive home we got pondering our top 5.

Plymouth

Charlton

Wolves

Notts Forest

Sorry but.. Man Utd.

Edited by keep_the_faith

Forest - No city better than Nottingham for a pre-match pub crawl. Decent away end for atmosphere.

Arsenal - I loved Highbury although obviously we haven't done the Emirates

Orient - Had several fantastic away trips to Orient.

Blackpool - Horrible away end but if it's a Saturday with good weather, several hundred Latics fans in any one of a number of pubs on the prom is fantastic.

Bolton - Just for FA Cup QF 1994

Special mentions for Sheff U, Udders, Dale

Maine Road

Burnden Park

Stamford Bridge

Gigg Lane

Valley Parade

Honourable mention to Newcastle too but as I've not been there in the away section and wouldn't fancy that climb then I'm going to have to miss them off.

Edited by rudemedic

Maine Road

Burnden Park

Stamford Bridge

Gigg Lane

Valley Parade

Honourable mention to Newcastle too but as I've not been there in the away section and wouldn't fancy that climb then I'm going to have to miss them off.

St James is :censored:. One of the worst grounds I've been to.

Forest-Seem to be a good hunting ground in recent times.

Cardiff-Always worth staying over,a great place for a night out.

Everton-Proper traditional ground with :censored: wooden seats that give you splinters in your arse.Chinese ale served that tastes of cats piss.Other than that,a good away jaunt.

York-Pubs everywhere and not too far away.

Hereford-I don't remember why as I was trollied on cider,though it helped erase the memories of a 5-0 drubbing at the time.

Nottingham forrest quality for pubs and atmosphere.

ST Mary's just for the ground one of the best.

Elland Roadhistory with the ground and played some good football.

Valley parade just because I've never seen us lose there

Saltergate just a throwback to the old grounds where you had to piss on a wall

St James is :censored:. One of the worst grounds I've been to.

Were you drinking? St James' has got to be closest ground to a City centre. Newcastle boozing is legendary.

Just remembered you're a Polyite aren't you? So you should know all about drinking in Newcastle.

Edited by rudemedic

Elland road, New Year's Day pissing down when I was a young lad, drew iIRC

Maine road, tommy wright 2-1, roger palmers hat-trick the season after

Burnden park, beckford

WBA, standing behind goal got there late but excellent atmosphere

Derby, baseball ground. Ron futcher 1-0, first game of the season. A copper telling my mum to take her scarf off before the game and her telling him to :censored: off then apologising to me for the bad language!

Were you drinking? St James' has got to be closest ground to a City centre. Newcastle boozing is legendary.

Just remembered you're a Polyite aren't you? So you should know all about drinking in Newcastle.

Great place to drink, although not all that fussed with the pubs near the ground. It's the ground itself I don't like.

Forget the identikit soul-less new grounds, going old-skool :

York City - anyone there for that amazing game in the 70's will never forget !

Chesterfield Saltergate - :censored:hole but so many memories of great booze-ups and packed in on the open end behind the goal

Wrexham - another relic of a ground but many a great away day in North Wales

Hudders - from some great days at the new ground back to some hazy memories of packing out the side at Leeds Road back in the day

Bratfurt - another good away day with several memeroble performances over the years

Trannies old Cowshed also was 'interesting' for away fans before the all-seaters kicked in !

Have been to all the premier:censored:e grounds too but overall although they have all mod cons they lack the atmosphere and reality of the lower league grounds.

Great place to drink, although not all that fussed with the pubs near the ground. It's the ground itself I don't like.

Yeah those pubs near the ground, and even part of the ground, with the slight exception of that Head of Steam offshoot by the Academy, aren't all that good considering the quality of Newcastle's drinking.

I'm surprised knowone has mentioned griffin park disappointed to lose that one next season

I like charlton a couple of decent pubs easy to get too.

Goodson park is a good old fashioned ground how it appears from behind rows of terraced houses.

To be fair we rarely get anything at brentford. I've been three times and not even seen us score...

Edited by LeylandLatic

Anfield - disappointing during the game atmosphere-wise but the pre-match stuff makes it stick in the memory

City Ground (and Meadow Lane) - Been to Nottingham 3 times, every time has been memorable for the right reasons! City Ground edges Meadow Lane for the atmosphere in the away end but the whole day out is great there.

The Valley - really enjoyed my day there, felt a tad intimidating to me in the away end but not dangerous.

Fratton Park - great trip there with Latics, but went there with Exeter this year and the atmosphere from the all 4 stands for the last 15 minutes was the best I can remember witnessing. Cacophony of noise.

Brisbane Road - Last season's final day trip was fantastic and I really liked the layout of the ground and the area around it. As much as the club will suffer by not playing at the Olympic Stadium I really hope they don't move grounds because they'll lose something special from that ground.

Griffin Park is a close 6th but every time I've been there Brentford scored last minute goals.

I'm not giving it the 'big un' here but can people elaborate on what they mean when they say they've felt intimidated at a ground. I've been following Oldham away since I was 11 (I'm now 30) and I've never once experienced a feeling of intimidation once. Literally not once. Either I'm hard as :censored: or some of you are soft as :censored:. I'm open to suggestion.

Woof.

I'm not giving it the 'big un' here but can people elaborate on what they mean when they say they've felt intimidated at a ground. I've been following Oldham away since I was 11 (I'm now 30) and I've never once experienced a feeling of intimidation once. Literally not once. Either I'm hard as :censored: or some of you are soft as :censored:. I'm open to suggestion.

Woof.

The feeling to me is when I'm in a small-ish away end surrounded by 3 substantially bigger stands which are near enough full. I don't feel in danger, it's more a feeling of being surrounded and outnumbered that gives you all the more reason to stand up for your team and give them the vocal backing they need as an underdog. It's more a mock or pantomime intimidation I suppose, but one that I feel adds something extra to an atmosphere.

Woof.

You obviously didn't visit Maine Road after a handsome away win (or even draw) in the 80's and 90's and run the gauntlet down the Moss Side back passages, doggy.

Woof indeed.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

The only real intimidating time I can remember in recent years was after the Lee Hughes hat-trick at Millwall. The platform at the station and then the journey back to London Bridge were a little tense.

Other than that you need to go back a few years. Wolves, City, Bolton, Leeds all stand out from the early 90s. I also remember the coach window being put through at both Reading and Newcastle. All nothing compared to the 70s & 80s I'm sure but that was before my time.