2. 2. Jonathan Grounds

3. 3. Genseric Kusunga

4. 4. James Wilson

5. 5. Adam Lockwood

6. 6. Carl Winchester

7. 7. David Mellor

8. 8. Jack Truelove

Just for appearances sake:

Lockwood and Truelove are both being kept.

We have options on Kusunga, Mellor and Wilson.

The rest are out of contract.

FWIW I'd let Kusunga go (because of injuries and temperament and not talent) and keep the rest

You've also technically missed Gafiati out

Edited by rudemedic

I note I'm the only one to say let grounds go, so I'd best explain;

His distribution is generally terrible. Gives the ball away far too often. If he sorted this out, he could probably play in the championship, because his defensive play is good. I actually preferred him at Centre Back earlier in the season because he could give the ball to a deep midfielder instead of aimlessly playing the ball down the left flank.

I recall LJ complaining about his body language once or twice at the back end of last season. I still think he looks a bit disengaged at times now.

I imagine he will be on decent money and to encourage him to renew his contract won't be cheap. Money I might want to spend on finding JCH a partner up top - assuming Turner isn't ready yet!?! You only have to look at the table to see its a lack of goals that has been our problem this season.

However, the tipping point is a conversation I had with TP twelve months ago who told me Jack Truelove is one to watch.

Ergo, assuming Truelove is over his injury..... Let Grounds leave and spend the limited budget elsewhere.

I would also let Grounds go, I'd imagine he's a high earner and is not a patch on the player he was last season. To me he looks like he wants to move on, always seems lethargic (his distribution has been woeful)

His distribution wasn't bad about 120 playing minutes ago when he put Clarke Harris away for our third at Bradford

His distribution wasn't bad about 120 playing minutes ago when he put Clarke Harris away for our third at Bradford

that was a moment of sheer class, but for me that's not enough for us to keep him, I'd hazard a guess he's our 2nd/3rd highest earner.

that was a moment of sheer class, but for me that's not enough for us to keep him

He's an above average League One defender - I think you're overthinking this.

When it comes to negotiating a new deal, he'll most likely be the one in the position of strength, not the club. And rightly so.

He's an above average League One defender - I think you're overthinking this.

When it comes to negotiating a new deal, he'll most likely be the one in the position of strength, not the club. And rightly so.

We're going to have to disagree. Now, where do you sit again? :grin:

Him being a bit better than the majority of League One defenders I've seen.

Subjective then. Fine.

Objectively he'll have been a key player in a team who has finished (most likely) bottom half both seasons he's been here.

Think we should get Wilson signed up as soon as poss. The player wants it & he looks versatile enough that he could play RB as cover.

Mellor is cheap cover for a few positions & gets my vote to stay on that basis. Anyone with a baby will understand that he's probably had a busy few months & I know I struggle to do my job with no sleep. Give him another year

Subjective then. Fine.

Objectively he'll have been a key player in a team who has finished (most likely) bottom half both seasons he's been here.

Subjective again and/or speculative but, we may have finished lower without him and may do next season.

He's no Andy Barlow but he's the least worst we've had for several years and way down the list of players we should be glad to see the back of.

Subjective again and/or speculative but, we may have finished lower without him and may do next season.

He's no Andy Barlow but he's the least worst we've had for several years and way down the list of players we should be glad to see the back of.

Right, agree with all that. But being above average in a below average team, doesn't make you above average for the division.

Anyone with a baby will understand that he's probably had a busy few months & I know I struggle to do my job with no sleep. Give him another year

Cry me a river. Gut feel is that he'll get a new contract anyway...