Boring boring Oldham

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me if the style of the end of last season continues, we get similar results and are threatening the play offs I'd be delighted. I'm totally sick of this league and having nothing to get excited about post Feb.

If we then develop exciting attacking football as well I'd be ecstatic.

Not many teams on our budget in this league have done that in the past mind, so I see not complaining about the lack of total football as being realistic rather than happy clapping.

There's a difference between wanting us to play Attractive Football and wanting Effective Football. No-one is demanding Barcelona style free-flowing stuff, just a team who can put the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis.

We should play to our strengths, which means build the team around a strong defence - and we've got that.

We could spend on a striker (like we did with Rooney) and the chances are it wouldn't work. We don't need to re-invent the wheel..

We should play to our strengths, which means build the team around a strong defence - and we've got that.

We could spend on a striker (like we did with Rooney) and the chances are it wouldn't work. We don't need to re-invent the wheel..

You're right we don't need to re-invent the wheel, but if you have a team which will struggle to score you won't win many games. Harkins was massive for us in most of the games we won towards the end of last season because he offered a presence further up the field. Without that presence I can see us struggling

You're right we don't need to re-invent the wheel, but if you have a team which will struggle to score you won't win many games. Harkins was massive for us in most of the games we won towards the end of last season because he offered a presence further up the field. Without that presence I can see us struggling

That's a massive point you make.

Whilst here, Gary Harkins provided our only real attacking threat; our only 'out ball' and our only spark of creativity. His goals and assists were crucial for us.

He hasnt been replaced as of yet...

That's a massive point you make.

Whilst here, Gary Harkins provided our only real attacking threat; our only 'out ball' and our only spark of creativity. His goals and assists were crucial for us.

He hasnt been replaced as of yet...

I'm very glad he hasn't been in that regard. I'll be gladder when we see how 3 or 4 are going to pick up the mantle of creating for us.

Chris, In no way did I mean to denigrate your post, I just happened to post after you. If all the posts were of a similar objective view then OWTB would be a more interesting forum. I did say some. Some. Not all. Yours was the exact opposite of posts I was referring to.

Fair play singe. Thought you were replying to my post

LJ is a enigma to me. He's great on one hand an utterly baffling on the other. He can pick a player, we got a fee for smith- an ill wager we get money for JCH an Dieng- in time. He doesn't take :censored:. He's improved players- Brown number 1 example. He can wheel an deal- locky, J Wilson. He talks sense, not well or charming a la Dickov, he talks sense.

And yet, he won't play two strikers up front, in a side lacking goals at home. He routinely plays out an out strikers as wingers??????? He hasn't added a striker yet, but is keen to bring LLera in, when we've already got three cracking centre halfs already in IMO. As others have said, he won't give Winchester a run- yet he effects the game every time I see him play.

At home we've no one anywhere near clinical enough to be 'hard to beat' but take one of a few chances in a game an grab your 1 -0.

Away from home, different story- we are set up perfectly, less pressure, a draw is always a good result away from home. If we nick one, great. If not, we get a draw.

I'd like us to play the style of those last ten games away from home. I think we'll do very well.

But at home unless he gambles, and imposes us on the opposition- rather than us stopping them. then the idea we'll be better off points wise is fantasy to me.

I don't expect Barcelona. I just want players in natural positions, a willingness to commit players in the final third. An (as daft as it sounds) the sense we are trying to win at home, instead of not losing.

Fair play singe. Thought you were replying to my post

LJ is a enigma to me. He's great on one hand an utterly baffling on the other. He can pick a player, we got a fee for smith- an ill wager we get money for JCH an Dieng- in time. He doesn't take :censored:. He's improved players- Brown number 1 example. He can wheel an deal- locky, J Wilson. He talks sense, not well or charming a la Dickov, he talks sense.

And yet, he won't play two strikers up front, in a side lacking goals at home. He routinely plays out an out strikers as wingers??????? He hasn't added a striker yet, but is keen to bring LLera in, when we've already got three cracking centre halfs already in IMO. As others have said, he won't give Winchester a run- yet he effects the game every time I see him play.

At home we've no one anywhere near clinical enough to be 'hard to beat' but take one of a few chances in a game an grab your 1 -0.

Away from home, different story- we are set up perfectly, less pressure, a draw is always a good result away from home. If we nick one, great. If not, we get a draw.

I'd like us to play the style of those last ten games away from home. I think we'll do very well.

But at home unless he gambles, and imposes us on the opposition- rather than us stopping them. then the idea we'll be better off points wise is fantasy to me.

I don't expect Barcelona. I just want players in natural positions, a willingness to commit players in the final third. An (as daft as it sounds) the sense we are trying to win at home, instead of not losing.

I think you sense the frustration of fans who don't want away tactics played at home, IMO the team is only a couple of players away from being an attacking force at home, let's see if LJ brings them in.

On the question of Llera I would sign him, after all if we suffer a couple of injuries or incur suspensions to the centre backs we will regret not doing so when we had the chance.

Edited by BP1960