Boring boring Oldham

Pish game.

2 poor sides.

They were worse than us, only slightly mind, and should in all honestly; have been seen off.

We lack any spark of creativity; any form of unexpected & any conviction in the final 3rd.

Defence did look solid enough though.

Paying on the day to see that today? Meh. I've a ST, but would have objected to paying £20+ to watch that if truth be told.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not been for a while and enjoyed the game today. Back four look solid and new goalie much better than Oxley. Latter a good shot stopper, but that was about it. Wes and Korey excellent, Harkins was marked out of the game (2 on him from the off). JCH did what he had to do. Worral, Philiskirk and Dayton did ok, but not goal scorers, need too much time on the ball. Defo need striker for next season. Goals are only going to come from good luck with this side.

You must have been starved of any good football elsewhere if you enjoyed that today!

We have ground it out in recent weeks, no problem with that, needs must and all, not sure that style will cut much ice over a full season though.

Big summer ahead on the recruitment/retainment front IMO, be interesting to see what the management can do and what direction they take.

They were definitely their for the taking today, one of the worst sides I have seen this season. The left back for Coventry was dire. Baker who I rate, just looked disinterested. We must get Wilson signed on a decent contract, he was by far the classiest player on the pitch, made the game look easy. Harkins must have been injured he was awful, time to throw Gadaffi in and see what he can do now, also play Truelove and Gossett.

First time i've seen Wilson and Lockwood today, and that's the most solid i've seen a Latics back 4 in ages. It's no surprise that Tarky and M'Voto have gone onto Championship/Promotion, but they were always capable of turning into Terrell Forbes and costing a goal. I can see why we've gone 7 unbeaten (4 clean sheets) with those two at CB.

If that was an Italian game then the draw would have been priced up around 4/6!

Didn't hear much of that famous Chaddy atmosphere either...

Didn't hear much of the famous Rochdale Road End atmosphere either. Which just goes to show, if hardly anyone is singing you won't hear it.

The game was dire. 2 teams happy with a draw.

We passed the ball around comfortably at times, but without ever looking incisive. If we are to continue with the lone man up top then the others have to give more forward options and better movement. Thought our final balls in today were poor.

On the plus side, we never really looked like conceding.

On a final note.....coventry's support today was dire ( numbers wise ). I was expecting far more than that, as indeed must have our club.

Slightly miffed that we were relocated for a couple of hundred supporters, but I thought they would have brought at least a thousand. Anyway next year f**k 'em.

I must admit, that's a hard one for the club to call. I expected a good 1,000+ from Coventry given how they've generally travelled this season. 8k to Franchise, that sorta thing. Can't really blame the club on this. Blame the :censored: support from them. And the 500 were quiet as :censored: too.

They were definitely their for the taking today, one of the worst sides I have seen this season. The left back for Coventry was dire. Baker who I rate, just looked disinterested. We must get Wilson signed on a decent contract, he was by far the classiest player on the pitch, made the game look easy. Harkins must have been injured he was awful, time to throw Gadaffi in and see what he can do now, also play Truelove and Gossett.

have I missed something about this gadaffi, people keep saying give him a chance but isn't he just on loan until the end of the season and then will be going back to Norwich?

job done but 5 goals in the last 9 home games is dire, if the vision is to get the fans back to bp there has to be something to cheer about the fans have been superb if you take into account weve drawn a blank in 3 of the last 4 at home, give us something to shout about please !!!!

FWIW, there was a major accident on the M6 which delayed the Coventry coaches and presumably ores travelling by road too. Plus if I was going to watch 90 minutes of football 100+ miles away and knew I wasn't going to see the first 30 minutes due to an accident halfway there I'd turn round, especially if I still had to pay my entrance fee. If I was on one of the coaches I'd be tempted just to to the pub if I didn't have my ticket.

Cov's average away attendance is around 1600, that's more than their average home attendance. I have no problem with us shutting the RRE to home fans as I was expecting around 2000 away fans, as it is Easter weekend.

Like London buses we waited 64 home games (Exeter Jan 2012) for a 0-0 then we get 2 consecutively. (The 105 games without a 0-0 prior to Brentford was all games going back to Bury away late April 2012).

Paul had a good game, his save from Fleck was it was very good. So did the back 4, and whoever said that was one of Grounds' better performances at LB this season has got it spot on for me.

Korey looked like he was going forward more than he had been in recent games, possibly a sign that his recent injury niggles have improved, Wes was his usual combative self, and impressed me with his physical toughness yet again. I thought Harkins had been playing well, so was a bit unsure why he was subbed, maybe he was being "rested". Their defence looked frightened of JCH at times. But my MOTM was Worrall, that was his best performance in a Latics shirt, (that I've seen), he finally showed his energy and his ability to run to me today, again probably a sign of his injury problems having gotten better

Today was my first game since November due to some complications so I was looking forward to seeing some of the January signings play.

I thought we played ok, never really caused to much problems in the final 3rd for Coventry but our defence and midfield were very well organized and Coventry never looked like scoring.

Rachukba- since he has been in goal we have conceded less and have looked very well organised at the back. He had only a hand full of saves today but made a crucial one when they went through 1 on 1.

Brown- thought defensively he was good, I just don't feel comfortable when he has the ball at his feet. His drive forward in the second half is what we need to see more often from him. He is improving

Wilson- thought he was solid won most his headers, he has a bit I pace for a centre back wich he showed in the second half to get back and make an important tackle in our box.

Lockwood- thought he played very well. Very well organised experienced defender that is what we need at this time. He has done very well since coming and has deserved his contract extension.

Grounds- thought he had a good 1st half. Got forward linking up with harkins and his distribution was much improved. Second half was solid defensively but I don't rember him going up at all. Overall did ok

worall- thought he worked hard and ran his socks off. It's all good doing this but his end product has to improve. Needs to work on crossing, needs to learn when to pull the trigger. He did run at there defence today and caused them a few problems without really paying off.

smith- my mom, people complain he doesn't get forward enough but IMO he doesn't need to. He controlled the game for us today some of his long passes were excellent and he holds the ball and is bery composed. Think we might struggle to keep hold of this lad.

Wes- typical preformace really. Battled hard won a lot. Did notice he was more attacking than usual today which worked well with smith holding. Good preformace.

harkins- this was the player I wanted to watch the most, and I have to say I was dissapointed. His intention was there to take on his man looked like he could be skillful but didnt really work for him today.

philiskirk- played ok, he is clearly the link for the midfield and striker and it works well. He haut needs to learn to bloody shoot. He had a few chances today to get his shot away and choose not to. overall had a decent match

JCH- thought he did his job but looked tired. He held the ball up very well and got others into play. He was unlucky with his free kick and also had a chance with his header. Could be a very good player but do we really want him leading the line next season? I'm undecided.

Dayton- this lad has pace he has showed it earlier in the season. Why does he bloody not use it. He needs to take his man on am have a few shots and crosses. Looks at port vale ect.. had a chance with his header today. Unfortunantly it fell to our smallest player.

Charlie mac- thought it was right time to bring him on. Did cause a bit of a threat. Could he have got a goal it was hard to see from where I was sat ?

overall it was a mediocre game with both teams accepting a valuable point. We had a few chances but no clear cut and looked solid. Coventry were very poor.

Just thought I would give my view of the game.

We severely lacked any tempo to our game once the ball had passed the half way line. Probably could have gone on to win the game, if we'd have straight out attacked them in some of the chances we had, rather than looking to pass the ball sideways or backwards.

Overall, two poor teams, two teams who wanted the point and it suited us both in our bids for survival.

Rachubka - 6 - Nothing special, poor kicking at times, one real save to make?

Brown - 6 - Did his job, doesn't get forward quite enough

Lockwood - 7 - Job done, iffy positioning/passing at times

Wilson - 7 - Solid, did his job

Grounds - 7 - Some great balls from him, played well and would look to sign him up, asap

Worrall - 5 - Didn't think he was good enough, provided more defensively but doesn't push on enough for my liking

Wesolowski - 8 - My MotM, played excellent in the middle of the park, got himself about, no messing about from him

Smith - 7 - Not as good as some performances, but still did his job

Harkins - 5 - Another who didn't really do much, but most probably injured

Philliskirk - 5 - Wasn't really involved to a massive extent, seems to go missing and don't see much of him

Clarke-Harris - 6 - Can't fault his effort most of the time, just needs a partner up front IMO

Dayton - 6 - was alright, some good moves and added abit more tempo when he came out, another who faded away though

MacDonald - 6 - alright, again... he was needed earlier IMO, but his impact was unfortunately not seen on the score sheet

Agree with RM re Worrall. Surprised ar Fanatic's rating.

I think he's got better and better the longer he has gone on in the side and he and Brown have a good understanding.

Hope we can bring him in permanently. Injury free pre season behind him and he could br a real asset next season.

I think he's got better and better the longer he has gone on in the side and he and Brown have a good understanding.

Hope we can bring him in permanently. Injury free pre season behind him and he could br a real asset next season.

agree think he is only just coming good and finally looks over his problems, shame he will be back at rotherham in a couple of weeks.

First time I've seen Latics since the Crawley game, so I can't really comment on how he's done over those weeks.

However, based on today, I don't think he's that good... I prefer pacey wingers, who move forward and get the ball on the box one way or another.

I hope he proves me wrong of course, I'll hold my hands up if he does

Gets us the points but pants to watch everyone happy with the negative formations especially at home ? Wont improve the crowds thats for sure.

Agree with Yarddog (we canines got to stick together...) I can understand why LJ chooses to play a lone striker away from home but surely he can play a slightly more adventurous game at home?

And the way he chooses to bring everyone back for opposition corners and free kicks simply puts us under more pressure.

Definitely a boring game today.

It's just dull. So very dull. Yet again I'm playing on my phone, day dreaming, watching the bench for a bit of entertainment. I

Back four look solid, there's lots of endeavour but very little cutting edge. Why oh why oh why is our top scorer playing in midfield? Charlie comes on an goes straight up top. . Bizarre. Felt for Philly.

I go to games hoping this will be the game they throw the shackles off. Nope. He plays one up top. . At home.

I can honestly say we've played well in one game at home this season, port vale. That's it. (Missed peterbrough) The bigger picture is we' ve got a new stand on the way, an a good nucleas for a next year, but I'm not thinking about that coming away from games, I'm just thinking. BORED!

It's just dull. So very dull. Yet again I'm playing on my phone, day dreaming, watching the bench for a bit of entertainment. I

Back four look solid, there's lots of endeavour but very little cutting edge. Why oh why oh why is our top scorer playing in midfield? Charlie comes on an goes straight up top. . Bizarre. Felt for Philly.

I go to games hoping this will be the game they throw the shackles off. Nope. He plays one up top. . At home.

I can honestly say we've played well in one game at home this season, port vale. That's it. (Missed peterbrough) The bigger picture is we' ve got a new stand on the way, an a good nucleas for a next year, but I'm not thinking about that coming away from games, I'm just thinking. BORED!

to be fair we went into the game unbeaten in 6 and the same team for those games. If it's not broke...?

FYI we didn't play well against Posh, we were brilliant for 45 minutes, but beyond abject for the other 45. That has seemed to happen far more regularly than either I or presumably others with some actual say in the matter would like. Hence the slight tactical change to 4-1-4-1, the problem is whilst that works well against some teams, especially away from home, it fails miserably against other teams, eg today.

I missed Vale though.

Edited by rudemedic