Squad movements, summer 2014

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodgers is still at the club so that LJ can take a look at him in pre-season — I guess it's basically a trial. I think we have an option to extend his contract.

No idea on Simpson. Club hasn't said anything, the man himself doesn't seem to have done, although the Chron are assuming he's leaving.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bringing up this thread again before deadline day. Thinking about where to strengthen if we do at all.

There's been talk about getting another keeper in, unless it's a significant upgrade I reckon funds can be used better elsewhere.

While we've hardly been watertight at the back, we do have a lot of depth there and on paper the players should be good enough. Success at the back should depend on 2 things; giving the defence of time to settle and, if that fails, the return of Lockwood to sure things up.

Centre mid is an area that we seem to have depth too, although some players i.e. Kelly don't seem to have lived up to expectations yet. A right winger could help us, although Dayton, Winchester and even Jones could be an option out there.

Up front seems to me to be the biggest issue, even without Gros we still have numbers but there's no one there who you'd call an established striker. Even Forte who's started the season well cannot be expected to be our reliable goalscorer if he's played out on the flank. The only way JCH is going to be a success this season is by playing alongside someone with know how who will do a lot of the dirty work for him and, while I like Philliskirk, he isn't that type of player yet. An experienced foil for JCH or an experienced last man striker to play with Philliskirk would be the best choices for us.

So if we could only sign one player then it should be a striker, if we can get another then a right winger would help. The rest of the team just need time to settle.

• 6 months later...