You don't seem to understand that the RRE is the pinnacle stand to watch football at BP from for those who choose to sit in there, so I don't understand why you find it so difficult to realise why fans are slightly frustrated about moving when it's unnecessary. Few have qualms when Preston bring 3000, but for 500 fans it's ridiculous.

Here are some facts: by Friday Coventry had sold 400 tickets and brought 500 fans to BP last season. Their away support average includes 8000 to MK Dons which has inflated the amount significantly. Ergo anybody with logic knew they wouldn't bring over the capacity of the small section.

Sheffield United took 1100 to Tranmere on a Saturday, they now effectively have nothing to play for and it's a Tuesday night so logic would dictate they bring enough to fit in the small section of the RRE.

Facts do have a place and so does logic, and that's why the RRE should've been open.

It turned out to be unnecessary, but the club were not to know that a few weeks ago when they made their decision. Easter often produces increased gates, see Colchester's home attendance on Friday and our own home attendance yesterday. It isn't much stretch of the imagination to think Coventry were going to bring over 1500 fans. The club acted accordingly. Especially as Coventry fans were making a big deal of not going to home games, but going to their away games instead this season, as demonstrated by the fact that their average away attendance is bigger than their average home attendance, thus making the their attendance last season slightly irrelevant.

As for Sheff U, they played Tranmere yesterday, our ground is an hour closer, and easily commutable from Sheffield if you leave at 5pm. Rotherham brought 1300, I can see the much bigger Sheff U bringing more than the small section.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless the club expect 2000 or so away fans we should still have the small section. I'm coming round to the view that we should give away fans the big bit anyway when the new stand opens, people who prefer the Rocky still have the option, they will fill it nicely to help with atmosphere and they needn't be passed around more than once or twice tops

But giving us the small section increases the police bill, taking money out of the budget elsewhere. I'd rather keep a player or two than have to pay the cops more so the RRE is open for home fans.

Incidentally an increased police bill might stop the "traditional" end of season pitch invasion, so that might be beneficial.

And in respect of Coventry, the police bill being even larger when they're on double time on Easter Monday.

Unless the club expect 2000 or so away fans we should still have the small section. I'm coming round to the view that we should give away fans the big bit anyway when the new stand opens, people who prefer the Rocky still have the option, they will fill it nicely to help with atmosphere and they needn't be passed around more than once or twice tops

Just close the 'I' secment in the large section and allow home fans in the small section.

Incraced police costs seems weird seeing as Rotherham filled out the small section with home fans everywhere else... So what did policing cost in that game? I may misunderstand, but home fans in the small section is the eqivilent of having away fans in the small section on a normal matchday... Bar the slightly bigger crowd, eg. Yesterday.

The "deal" was that home supporters could go in the small section when the big section has been allocated to visitors.

I do feel that the club has gone back on its word in order to reduce security costs.

In the case of the Coventry game I can't support the decision. There's no way Coventry were ever going to need the small section.

Sheffield Utd is slightly different. While I doubt there's any likelihood of them bringing anywhere near enough to fill both sections they do bring more than their fair share of knobs. Keeping their smelly Yorkshire bodies away from Latics fans is a good thing.

Notts County is a tougher call. Normally I'd refer to my Coventry comments above and repeat them. But, while unlikely, the game might mean everything to them, they might come in numbers and there could be a need for an overspill area. The solution is to make it all ticket for away fans, limited to the big section.

Not to keep Latics fans out of the small section.

people going on about the policing bill, it will be just the same as any other home game when away fans are in the small section!

Except it won't be, with the possible exception of Rotherham. You don't pay the same policing bill for 90 Stevenage fans as you do for clubs that get the big section if we are in the small section. Edited by rudemedic

The "deal" was that home supporters could go in the small section when the big section has been allocated to visitors.

I do feel that the club has gone back on its word in order to reduce security costs.

In the case of the Coventry game I can't support the decision. There's no way Coventry were ever going to need the small section.

Sheffield Utd is slightly different. While I doubt there's any likelihood of them bringing anywhere near enough to fill both sections they do bring more than their fair share of knobs. Keeping their smelly Yorkshire bodies away from Latics fans is a good thing.

Notts County is a tougher call. Normally I'd refer to my Coventry comments above and repeat them. But, while unlikely, the game might mean everything to them, they might come in numbers and there could be a need for an overspill area. The solution is to make it all ticket for away fans, limited to the big section.

Not to keep Latics fans out of the small section.

Making games all ticket loses the club money, just see any time when our away games have been all ticket, some people decide that they are going to go on the day, that is impossible if it's all ticket.

people going on about the policing bill, it will be just the same as any other home game when away fans are in the small section!

Not for the Coventry game though due to bank holiday pay.

Not for Sheffield United as increased risk of trouble.

Notts may bring more than the big section.

Edited by jsslatic

Making games all ticket loses the club money, just see any time when our away games have been all ticket, some people decide that they are going to go on the day, that is impossible if it's all ticket.

I get that. And the Notts County game (relegation decider for them) is a one-off example of when all-ticket for away fans would be the right solution. Coventry would be an example where it wouldn't be needed.

The lost revenue from one game is a better price to pay than naffing off a chunk of the core fan base more often than necessary.

No it doesn't. Unless you have a reputable source to confirm otherwise. The RRE small section was deemed to be less than 15% of our capacity (10638) (so less than 1595) which is why we had to give the Scousers the big section for the cup games.

Wow. You've just written a post to prove Robs quote of 1600 was wrong by 5. 5!!!!!!!! And you were then disproved by Robs quote from the official site anyway. Maybe you should have ended the post with ner ner ner.

The club whine that attendances are dwindling yet still piss fans off by moving them when they've already made their choices and paid for their tickets. They have a right to feel put out.

Also, while I'm on my soapbox (yes, I've had a :censored: day!) starting replies with 'Yawn' kinda implies your disinterested in what's being said, as well as making a mockery of the whole idea of a forum.

"Forum - a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."

You don't seem to understand that the RRE is the pinnacle stand to watch football at BP from for those who choose to sit in there, so I don't understand why you find it so difficult to realise why fans are slightly frustrated about moving when it's unnecessary. Few have qualms when Preston bring 3000, but for 500 fans it's ridiculous.

Here are some facts: by Friday Coventry had sold 400 tickets and brought 500 fans to BP last season. Their away support average includes 8000 to MK Dons which has inflated the amount significantly. Ergo anybody with logic knew they wouldn't bring over the capacity of the small section.

Sheffield United took 1100 to Tranmere on a Saturday, they now effectively have nothing to play for and it's a Tuesday night so logic would dictate they bring enough to fit in the small section of the RRE.

Facts do have a place and so does logic, and that's why the RRE should've been open.

You don't seem to understand that hindsight is a wonderful thing. They thought and rightly so that Cov would bring more than they did. It proved not to be the case but I'm sure sure everyone would rather be safe than sorry in order to avoid the chaos like at Bury.

You also don't seem to realise that this is not the first time its happened and you are warned before buying the ticket.

I don't understand why the same people moasn about the same situation every single time even though they know it will happen

And the pinnacle view is side on from the main stand not from behind the goal were the view of the far goal can't be great so its about opinions.

On a side note if you have an unrestricted view in the chaddy and they sell beer. What's the difference?

Edited by palmer1

Wow. You've just written a post to prove Robs quote of 1600 was wrong by 5. 5!!!!!!!! And you were then disproved by Robs quote from the official site anyway. Maybe you should have ended the post with ner ner ner.

The club whine that attendances are dwindling yet still piss fans off by moving them when they've already made their choices and paid for their tickets. They have a right to feel put out.

Also, while I'm on my soapbox (yes, I've had a :censored: day!) starting replies with 'Yawn' kinda implies your disinterested in what's being said, as well as making a mockery of the whole idea of a forum.

"Forum - a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."

5 is the least it was wrong by 1595 is 15% of 10638, it is less than that. He was saying that 1501 wasn't the key figure I in part agree with him (I'm going to see if I can find the tweet where Mike Keegan asked how big the small section was for the 15% rule for the FA cup, but as that involves searching twitter it isn't that easy) EDIT I couldn't find that tweet but I did find this which says what I said via O4u http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/40548-temporary-stand-on-lookers/?p=587119

The club make it very clear that fans in the RRE will have to move when the club feel it necessary to accommodate away fans in the big section. Those fans still buy their tickets, but they still then moan when they are told to move. How can the club legislate for that? The moaning happens all the time, hence why I'm bored of it, hence the yawn. I don't moan when the game is played in freezing conditions, it goes with the territory. But RRE ST holders can moan as much as they like when they are told to move despite knowing that they will sometimes have to.

Like I said I'd rather have that extra player than pay coppers to charge more because they've got to police 1500+ away fans and 750 home fans when those 750 home fans can easily be accommodated in other sections of the ground, and pay £20 less for their ST because of it.

Edited by rudemedic

On a side note if you have an unrestricted view in the chaddy and they sell beer. What's the difference?

Last time I went in the Chaddy I managed to avoid the stantions but had Fellaini and David Luiz sat in front of me. *

* no I didn't that's a lie. I never seem to avoid the stantions when I sit in the Chaddy.

You don't seem to understand that hindsight is a wonderful thing. They thought and rightly so that Cov would bring more than they did. It proved not to be the case but I'm sure sure everyone would rather be safe than sorry in order to avoid the chaos like at Bury.

You also don't seem to realise that this is not the first time its happened and you are warned before buying the ticket.

I don't understand why the same people moasn about the same situation every single time even though they know it will happen

And the pinnacle view is side on from the main stand not from behind the goal were the view of the far goal can't be great so its about opinions.

Unsurprisingly, if I could upboat this more than once I would.

But RRE ST holders can moan as much as they like when they are told to move despite knowing that they will sometimes have to.

I'm not moaning about being moved.

I'm irritated about the small section of the RRE not being utilised when we are moved. Part of the initial sales pitch was that it would be.

There's being wrong and there's overestimating by double. Like I said, I have no issue with being moved when there is a large away follwing - like you said, everybody knows this is a pre condition of going in the RRE - but for 500 away supporters? It's fine being safe than sorry, but it wasn't difficult to predict there wouldn't be many Cov fans. We may as well close the RRE rather than mess fans about, or keep the small section open to home fans regardless, but that won't happen.

I said in response to rudemedic that stand preference is subjective so not sure what you're disputing about with the pinnacle view comment. And the difference that makes me prefer the RRE is the atmosphere generated in there as well as having an elevated view. Being next to away fans definitely enhances the atmsophere so the Chaddy struggles to maintain a good one.

Edited by NewBlue

But giving us the small section increases the police bill, taking money out of the budget elsewhere. I'd rather keep a player or two than have to pay the cops more so the RRE is open for home fans.

Incidentally an increased police bill might stop the "traditional" end of season pitch invasion, so that might be beneficial.

Why does it increase the police bill?