Much was made 7 or so games ago about us chopping and changing a lot this season and our recent good form has in no small part been down to us having a settled side.

Well we are currently 4th in the Players Used table having used 40 players, but the odd thing is the only teams who've played more players are Carlisle (50!), Sheff Utd (41) and Notts County (41) - the 3 teams left for us to play.

Providing we play the same team and strategy for the next 3 games, surely we should be looking for a good points return?

Much was made 7 or so games ago about us chopping and changing a lot this season and our recent good form has in no small part been down to us having a settled side.

Well we are currently 4th in the Players Used table having used 40 players, but the odd thing is the only teams who've played more players are Carlisle (50!), Sheff Utd (41) and Notts County (41) - the 3 teams left for us to play.

Providing we play the same team and strategy for the next 3 games, surely we should be looking for a good points return?

As soon as we are mathematically safe, I would hope that LJ changes his cautious tactical approach to the game and also gives one or two fringe players a start - Bove and Coleman maybe?

While I recognise the need for the current style of play in order to ensure safety, I would be extremely disappointed if Johnson continued with this once we are safe.

So you would like the manager to change the style of play that has us on a 7 game unbeaten run having played 2nd and 3rd in those 7 games. It has also seen us 4th and now 7th in the form table.

For me I would not mind it staying the same style as long as we are getting results. If results start to change then so whorls the style of play IMO.

Personally i dont care less about fringe players getting a game im much more concerned with points regardless of safety or not. If we were crewe et al producing two or three a season who were mainstays in the team id say go for it. But our recent record at producing young talent is crap quite frankly.

Sod experimenting. Lets go for that top half finish however unlikely.

So you would like the manager to change the style of play that has us on a 7 game unbeaten run having played 2nd and 3rd in those 7 games. It has also seen us 4th and now 7th in the form table.

For me I would not mind it staying the same style as long as we are getting results. If results start to change then so whorls the style of play IMO.

I think he means home games, do we really want to look forward to more no score games at Boundary Park ?

I dont actually think we were that bad on monday we had 4 or 5 half chances and if just one of them had gone in we wouldnt be having to listen to this moaning. the fact it finished 0-0 gives people an excuse to criticise. Not the lack of chances created.

I hope Johnson plays his first team against Notts County. It does football as a whole no good if in the last game of the season when one side is fighting to stay up, (or go up etc.), if their opposition play their kids. You never know we might need a result elsewhere on the last day next season and we wouldn't want one of the teams to be playing their kids, because they've got nowt to play for.

I dont actually think we were that bad on monday we had 4 or 5 half chances and if just one of them had gone in we wouldnt be having to listen to this moaning. the fact it finished 0-0 gives people an excuse to criticise. Not the lack of chances created.

This.......hit the post, keeper made a few good saves, on another day we could have won 2 or 3 nil and Coventry couldn't have grumbled

Seems as usual we go on a decent run and people still want to find a negative......otherwise known as 'the oldham way'

Ye obviously I want to see more goals at home and the lack of goals this year has been a major problem. But at the minute we are picking up results by having a solid and organised defence and picking up results.

I would mind playing the same way next year as Long as our forwards had a bit more pace on the break and could put the ball in the net

Edited by LightDN123

I agree. If we can stick with most of these players and this system and add two proper strikers we could do very well next season.

Ye obviously I want to see more goals at home and the lack of goals this year has been a major problem. But at the minute we are picking up results by having a solid and organised defence and picking up results.

I would mind playing the same way next year as Long as our forwards had a bit more pace on the break and could put the ball in the net

Are we really that far wrong though?

The defence is as solid as it ever will be, midfield is energetic and doing the things it should be. Granted maybe the wings aint delivering enough quality balls and the strikers aint hitting the back of the net with enough regularity, but i dont think thats the fault of the system johnson is using i believe thats a question of personnel. Clarke harris is only young and will get better. Whilst we cant break the bank and go for marquee signings we will always have some issues.

Stick with the system i say. Id rather us win 5 1-0 and draw 5 0-0 breeding consistency than change tactics willy nilly cos we aint scoring enough.

I agree. If we can stick with most of these players and this system and add two proper strikers we could do very well next season.

Exactly, a quality experienced goal scorer to put away these half decent chances would make a massive difference. JCH to play sparingly or as impact sub as he continues his development.

I'd be happy with us continuing with the same side for the rest of the season to try and keep the momentum going, with a few summer additions rather than wholesale changes. Start of August will no doubt see me convincing myself this is the year for promotion and sticking a fiver on 33/1 again!

The eternal question: would you take results over style?

If the style that brings results means playing one up front at home and bringing every player back at corners and free kicks; if the style that brings results means playing our most creative player out on the left wing and constantly passing the ball sideways and backwards; if the style that brings results means playing a system where our most valuable players are the defenders and the defensive midfielders ... then that is not a style of play I would look forward to watching week in and week out - maybe I am a dying breed but give me style (at least at home) over turgid 'let's grind out the results' style of play any day.

Here's hoping that LJ can find a better way.

The eternal question: would you take results over style?

There was a time when I would have answered no but I would now - results mean I'll see & celebrate winning goals, regularly.

That said, whilst not exciting to watch, we've certainly not been horrible to watch of late unlike under Penney or, at times, Dickov.

When we have been verging on horrible we've tended to get a point or three which helps.

Are we doing better because we've got a settled side or have we got a settled side because we're doing better?

From what I saw against Crewe, I'd say the former. Our performance against Crewe was pretty ugly and after conceding late it could've been an easy decision to go with a more attacking formation against Crawley, but LJ played the same way which in turn made the XI much more comfortable for the Orient and Brentford games because they knew their role in the unit very well.

No thrills can be annoying for fans, but it also means less surprises for 11 individuals who are attempting to become a functional team.