League One 2014/15

theflbc.com is a good read

@SideSammy link to preview on their twitter page

Cheers fella.

Fair play to the flbc guy for mentioning us, although I think JCH isn't quite there yet to be close to top goalscorer unless he plays alongside an experienced striker who does a lot of the dirty work. If he plays up top on his own then he'll have no chance. Also I'd be surprised if Fleetwood struggle.

Cheers fella.

Fair play to the flbc guy for mentioning us, although I think JCH isn't quite there yet to be close to top goalscorer unless he plays alongside an experienced striker who does a lot of the dirty work. If he plays up top on his own then he'll have no chance.

This would be true if he was a known quantity who'd already reached his potential (or lack of), like a Charlie McDonald.

But all these kids upfront, Clarke Harris especially, could kick on and become far better players than the type you refer to (the type we're used to).

I'm far more optimistic about the manager giving responsibility to young lads with potential in an effort to drag something special out of them than an experienced plodder we know is highly unlikely to be any better than adequate to keep us mid table.

And Clarke Harris & Philliskirk are already half decent and will, at worst, score as many as that experienced plodder.

Why?

JCH is clearly a striker who has the potential to explode onto the scene this season. His price reflects that and is far from a bad outside bet.

As for us being 2/1 for the top half....in an average division we have followed a 10 game unbeaten run with a generally decent pre-season. Sure we are vulnerable to injuries, but who isn't in league 1? We have lost key players, but have made reasonable additions to the squad who have also added some tactical versatility.

Are we the finished article, no..... are we good enough to finish in the top half, I would say definitely!!

Apart from Sheffield United... and only because they're a 'name'... the rest of the league is 'meh'.

Why can't we do well? LJ has built well this season with a strong defence, depth in midfield and some promising strikers. A proven number 9 would be the cherry in top and another winger but I think we have enough to definitely progress from last season.

I'm confident for the coming season and can understand why some are backing us to do well too.

...it's about time!

Apart from Sheffield United... and only because they're a 'name'... the rest of the league is 'meh'

Make it 'apart from the top six' and I completely agree. I fully expect last season's play off teams, plus Bristol City, Sheffield United and probably Swindon to be battling it out.

10th would be a major step forward for us in my opinion. No reason we can't achieve that.

Make it 'apart from the top six' and I completely agree. I fully expect last season's play off teams, plus Bristol City, Sheffield United and probably Swindon to be battling it out.

10th would be a major step forward for us in my opinion. No reason we can't achieve that.

Aye, would tend to agree, think we might see 5-6 teams pulling away again at the top.

Apart from Sheffield United... and only because they're a 'name'... the rest of the league is 'meh'.

Why can't we do well? LJ has built well this season with a strong defence, depth in midfield and some promising strikers. A proven number 9 would be the cherry in top and another winger but I think we have enough to definitely progress from last season.

I'm confident for the coming season and can understand why some are backing us to do well too.

...it's about time!

Obviously this is the time of year for being optimistic. God knows it's the only time most seasons supporting Latics.

However, based on much of the defending in the Friendlies, I would question how strong the defence is. Ten games at the end of last term won't mean anything when this one gets under way. Depth in midfield is one thing but quality is another; hopefully we have it but that remains to be seen. And I don't think there's any getting away from the fact we're still short up front.

Top ten would be great. We shouldn't really be setting expectations any higher than that. To be honest, I don't see us achieving even that.

To me its all about the start .... scrape a cpuple of wins on the bounce early doors (Scunny Boro and a good win in the first home league game and confidence will be high. I think the main difference for me this season is the team look like a team, for the first time in an age we have height and pace in midfield. If JCH carries his pre season form into the first few weeks of the season and Forte's experience gets him a couple I think we will do well.

If we dont hit the ground running, then it just may be a different story. Im not sure we have the shrinking violets of last term though.

• 2 months later...

That's us jinxed then.

Not necessarily but it does show that teams are taking notice and we might not be the divisions dark horses for much longer.

At some point people will sit up and take notice if your pushing up near the top the longer this run goes on for the more recognition we are going to get.