Friendly vs Newcastle

Just wanted a little mention for Bove too...I really didn't expect much from him but he showed some neat passes and good vision setting up Connor brown for a chance he should have burried. Was relatively impressed. (More than turner showed IMO)

Edited by Blue_Guru

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forte has always been at his best playing as a striker off a big front man, his pace makes teams play deeper thus allowing us to control games however........he will be frustrating as hell! As with any guy with pace who ends up playing at this level he is only here as his technique and finishing skills are not the greatest. I would still sign him up in a second but if things go bad i fully expect him to be the boo boys new toy :-)

Edited by Simoncorneyisgod

I know what you mean he had an awkward look to his style. But so did Lee Hughes. It can actually throw the opposition.

I was more impressed at how much he stuck to the game plan tommy and LJ gave him. He never took his eye off their pacy number 8 giving mills some protection. The exact opposite of Sidney Schmeltz who did what he wanted.

Impressed with Forte, think he'd be great upfront. Gros surprised me too, fast for a big guy and decent goal. I'd sign Forte straight away and give Gros another look - not too impressed with the winger though, lots of running and effort but did he actually do anything? Llera was class when he came on, always organising and made some quality tackles. Sign him up next to Wilson at CB with Mills/B.Wilson at fullback and we'll be very hard to break down. Also, if Brown is a left back, so am I.

Another fairly boring point is that they've narrowed the pitch by about a metre on both sides. Could indicate how we're going to play.

Kusunga was outstanding so he couldn't be left out for Llera, unless he was moved to right back in place of the dissapointing B Wilson.

I think we will see the best of Kelly in competitive games.

Edited by BP1960

Kusunga was outstanding so he couldn't be left out for Llera, unless he was moved to right back in place of the dissapointing B Wilson.

I think we will see the best of Kelly in competitive games.

Kusunga wasn't terrible but I'd still put Llera ahead of him. Unless we play Llera at LB where he's played for Wednesday and sacrifice Mills.

Can't see how b.wilson was disappointing myself .

I wasn't impressed by Kelly and Dayton in the first hour , mike jones was the best of the three of them in the middle . Maybe harsh on Kelly with his recent long term lay off ? but he looked well off the pace , short on confidence and made some awful misplaced passes . Dayton seems to play within himself . Frustrates me .

The middle three after an hour were superb . If Winchester could play like that week in , week out In league one we'd have another undisclosed fee coming in in January ;) . Mellor also very sharp and dieng looked the part just infront of the defence .

JCH very frustrating tonight and I think gros showed him up work rate wise . Not sure on gros despite the winner (he also won the corner which led to the equaliser )I'm still unconvinced . Maybe he should start on Saturday ?

Agree with an earlier post re: James Wilson . I said before on here that we are mad if we've only given him a one year deal . His reading of the game coupled with his pace are second to none at this level . It's wilson +1 at centre half for me.

Forte had a very good 15 minute spell and as has been mentioned he put a great shift in defensively .

Sheriff is worth another game though , he looked v.decent I thought and surprised so many have said he was poor .

Bove !! Excellent on the left . Always kept the ball either cutting inside or feeding connor brown on the overlap .

Lockwood & llera didn't have much to do . Llera to start on Saturday I would imagine .

All in all more positives than negatives looking forward to Saturday .

Can't see how b.wilson was disappointing myself .

I wasn't impressed by Kelly and Dayton in the first hour , mike jones was the best of the three of them in the middle . Maybe harsh on Kelly with his recent long term lay off ? but he looked well off the pace , short on confidence and made some awful misplaced passes . Dayton seems to play within himself . Frustrates me .

The middle three after an hour were superb . If Winchester could play like that week in , week out In league one we'd have another undisclosed fee coming in in January ;) . Mellor also very sharp and dieng looked the part just infront of the defence .

JCH very frustrating tonight and I think gros showed him up work rate wise . Not sure on gros despite the winner (he also won the corner which led to the equaliser )I'm still unconvinced . Maybe he should start on Saturday ?

Agree with an earlier post re: James Wilson . I said before on here that we are mad if we've only given him a one year deal . His reading of the game coupled with his pace are second to none at this level . It's wilson +1 at centre half for me.

Forte had a very good 15 minute spell and as has been mentioned he put a great shift in defensively .

Sheriff is worth another game though , he looked v.decent I thought and surprised so many have said he was poor .

Bove !! Excellent on the left . Always kept the ball either cutting inside or feeding connor brown on the overlap .

Lockwood & llera didn't have much to do . Llera to start on Saturday I would imagine .

All in all more positives than negatives looking forward to Saturday .

I agree with most of what you say but struggle to see how JCH could have imposed himself on that game...playing on his own up top and the other 10 men are camped in our own half making ourselves difficult to break down. I think LJ got the tactics spot on and gave Newcastle the respect they deserved and we hit them on the break...however JCH would have had to beat 6 Newcastle players on his own to create a chance yesterday in that first 45 mins.

Long season for Turner playing the Philly role surely he needs to be played on the last defender to utilise his pace ? As for Dayton the guy just aint got it how on earth did he get that contract shouldnt be starting if we want to do anything this season, Winchester did well, No 11 also defence looks really strong again with cover in every position Gros no better than squad player, need one real top notch forward and we are ready to go.

Good grief...

Jesus :censored:ing Christ!

Maybe the Athleticos can introduce a new song to their oeuvre: "Who put the ball in the Geordies' net? Willy Willy Gros!" It will sound brilliant as it's belted out on Wembley way prior to the 2022 FA Cup final.

Long season for Turner playing the Philly role surely he needs to be played on the last defender to utilise his pace ? As for Dayton the guy just aint got it how on earth did he get that contract shouldnt be starting if we want to do anything this season, Winchester did well, No 11 also defence looks really strong again with cover in every position Gros no better than squad player, need one real top notch forward and we are ready to go.

Daytons got great feet, as has Winchester. Both can pick a pass. Both are lightweight, and I think both would shine in a midfield 3. Winchester has really impressed me so far, and would be in my first 11 on Saturday.

Maybe the Athleticos can introduce a new song to their oeuvre: "Who put the ball in the Geordies' net? Willy Willy Gros!" It will sound brilliant as it's belted out on Wembley way prior to the 2015 FA Cup final.

More like it. Were gonna come up just short of the treble I think this year. Out in a 2 leg semi of the League cup to Swansea, but winning league and FA Cup. £1 to playershare if it happens.

Newcastle Rag report

..."Willy Gros hit an undercooked shot that trickled beneath Jak Alnwick to record what will go down as a famous win for the League One minnows."

They think very highly of themselves don't they.

But the same match report goes on to say:

Then, with 12 minutes to go, Willy Gros was given time and space before lashing a shot under Jak Alnwick to put Oldham ahead.

LJ's comments in the Chron suggests that other than the signing which was due to happen on Monday no other signings will be made yet..

I am hoping that the 'glitched' signing is Forte...i think this is a position in desperate need and he could do a job up top also.

Think LJ is in the mindset we all have been that he isn't sure on Gros, Sherriff and Llera as he wants longer to look at them. If Gros or Sherriff were signed i just cant see them playing much and won't offer much off the bench...Llera however would be in the starting 11 and would probably push Lockwood and Kasunga to the side unless Kusunga proves himself over B Wilson.

I wonder what Johnson's plans for Forte are.. He played on the left against Curzon and Newcastle but by all accounts he's an out-and-out striker. He's never been prolific, but in 2012 he did get 5 in 10 at Notts County.

Hope we don't play with one up front in the league. Perhaps against the Sheffield Uniteds etc, but with the defence looking so strong you'd hope we could go a bit more attacking.

Edited by ShireBlue

I am sure LJ will have a few systems of play up his sleeve, hence his reference to having 'a few clubs in the bag'. I think the system he played yesterday and against Curzon of 4-1-4-1 is our default system that he wants to get stable in the teams head and he will now look to be able to mix it up either during a game when it isn't working or from the off...

LJ's comments in the Chron suggests that other than the signing which was due to happen on Monday no other signings will be made yet..

I am hoping that the 'glitched' signing is Forte...i think this is a position in desperate need and he could do a job up top also.

Think LJ is in the mindset we all have been that he isn't sure on Gros, Sherriff and Llera as he wants longer to look at them. If Gros or Sherriff were signed i just cant see them playing much and won't offer much off the bench...Llera however would be in the starting 11 and would probably push Lockwood and Kasunga to the side unless Kusunga proves himself over B Wilson.

Gros looked like he could offer alot from the bench. He can hold it up and has some pace about him. You could see how much he unsettled their CB's when he came on last night.

The goals from Wednesday night. Our second really was well worked.

Agreed, liked the little stop and dummied back-heel from Gros, for a big lad he then could put the after-burners on to get round his man. To paraphrase a famous saying- "He's pretty quick for a solid man"

Secondly, is it me or does the charger for the FK which led to their goal start further away than the wall and then run and jump in time to not be more than 10 yards away when the kick is taken. Whilst it is quite a obvious thing to do, it's the first time I've seen it and I'm impressed with the idea.