Commercial questions of the new stand?

Has any agreements been made over the commercial side of the new stand? Excitement is in the air (especially in my eyes) and i realise some of you are in the know/ have sources.

Ground floor:

- will the supporters bar be ran by any external company?

- On both concourse areas, any certain agreements with external catering firms?

- any agreements on who will take rental of the three retail units (345m2, 185m2, 155m2)

- any one assigned to run the 132m2 cafe unit, again internal or external companies.

first floor:

- function room, kitchen, bar along with hospitality service to exec boxes and directors - external or internal based service?

Second floor:

-anyone to take over both the office spaces? Club/external?

- anyone who is going to run the gym and will this be used by the players and staff?

--what profits are the club expecting?

-- expectations from the hospitality area?

-- expectations from retail (shops/ restaurant/ fast food?)

-executive entrances, are we going to see this welcoming local businesses/ wealthy people? Maybe a fans box or two for birthday etc.

Id love to address these to the marketing side of the club as all i keep bragging is how this will commerciall enhance the clubs fortunes as we catch up to the commercial side of football that many clubs have inherited.

Maybe pin this so we can post updates on commercial agreements? We had one for the construction of the stand so why not the commercial side?

Over to you mr corney and the off field team!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has any agreements been made over the commercial side of the new stand? Excitement is in the air (especially in my eyes) and i realise some of you are in the know/ have sources.

Ground floor:

- will the supporters bar be ran by any external company?

- On both concourse areas, any certain agreements with external catering firms?

- any agreements on who will take rental of the three retail units (345m2, 185m2, 155m2)

- any one assigned to run the 132m2 cafe unit, again internal or external companies.

first floor:

- function room, kitchen, bar along with hospitality service to exec boxes and directors - external or internal based service?

Second floor:

-anyone to take over both the office spaces? Club/external?

- anyone who is going to run the gym and will this be used by the players and staff?

--what profits are the club expecting?

-- expectations from the hospitality area?

-- expectations from retail (shops/ restaurant/ fast food?)

-executive entrances, are we going to see this welcoming local businesses/ wealthy people? Maybe a fans box or two for birthday etc.

Id love to address these to the marketing side of the club as all i keep bragging is how this will commerciall enhance the clubs fortunes as we catch up to the commercial side of football that many clubs have inherited.

Maybe pin this so we can post updates on commercial agreements? We had one for the construction of the stand so why not the commercial side?

Over to you mr corney and the off field team!

Interesting points you raise none of which I can answer. However I notice you don't mention conference space in your description of the new stand.

My organisation arranges six exhibitions a year in England which tend to cost about £3000 each for one days hire. I arrange these and tend to use footy grounds as they are now being built with such events in mind (and I like footy grounds)

We have used Cardiff , Walsall, Bolton ,Leeds (I know, I'm sorry and I did wipe my feet on the way out)' Spurs and yesterday we went to West Ham. West Ham are particularly relevant because they are an old ground with a new stand.. The conference suite is in the new stand and is the best we have been to. I think there are lessons there to be learned. Latics has some great things going for it including location and parking all of which attract punters like me.

I have written to latics commercial dept expressing my interest and the fact that we'd use BP instead of the Reebok if nothing else.

After not having a reply to my initial enquiry after 3 weeks I emailed again.

I got an answer this time which was basically we don't know what the facilities will be, when they will be ready or what the cost might be.

I appreciate that planning and development might be in the early stages but We plan our events 12 months in advance like most organisations I would imagine so I hope they are a bit clearer pdq. I want to use Latics and spend our money there but they need to be ready.

Honestly, who cares?

I was under the impression that the new stand was being built to enable the ground/ club to generate income on more than 26 ish days a year, therefore I would think the points raised by the OP are relevant, especially if it means that match day capacity is being compromised to facilitate this commercial space which I think it may be.

Edited by astottie

If there is a shortfall in funding which results in the kit out of the catering aspects being delayed (O4U has mentioned this in the other thread which does sound feasible considering what SC has said) it would likely also delay and render that goes out. From experience in my own organisation, such tenders include what equipment is provided by Landlord and what the contractor has to provide. I understand that people are interested but this will be one for good old fashioned patience.

Not too mention tendering processes have an element if confidentiality about them.

Interesting points you raise none of which I can answer. However I notice you don't mention conference space in your description of the new stand.

My organisation arranges six exhibitions a year in England which tend to cost about £3000 each for one days hire. I arrange these and tend to use footy grounds as they are now being built with such events in mind (and I like footy grounds)

We have used Cardiff , Walsall, Bolton ,Leeds (I know, I'm sorry and I did wipe my feet on the way out)' Spurs and yesterday we went to West Ham. West Ham are particularly relevant because they are an old ground with a new stand.. The conference suite is in the new stand and is the best we have been to. I think there are lessons there to be learned. Latics has some great things going for it including location and parking all of which attract punters like me.

I have written to latics commercial dept expressing my interest and the fact that we'd use BP instead of the Reebok if nothing else.

I got an answer this time which was basically we don't know what the facilities will be, when they will be ready or what the cost might be.

I appreciate that planning and development might be in the early stages but We plan our events 12 months in advance like most organisations I would imagine so I hope they are a bit clearer pdq. I want to use Latics and spend our money there but they need to be ready.

That is a joke to be honest. Who replied? I'd cut out the middle man and go straight to Simon Corney.

You can argue, why would he care?

The figures and past you quote highlight exactly why. There is a level of service people come to expect. Commercially this club is stuck in the dark ages. The attitude of "we have built it, what more can we do?" will not wash.

The club needed to be advertising space 6 months ago. If they believe they will have it operational by Christmas.

That is a joke to be honest. Who replied? I'd cut out the middle man and go straight to Simon Corney.

You can argue, why would he care?

The figures and past you quote highlight exactly why. There is a level of service people come to expect. Commercially this club is stuck in the dark ages. The attitude of "we have built it, what more can we do?" will not wash.

The club needed to be advertising space 6 months ago. If they believe they will have it operational by Christmas.

The club perhaps should have replied sooner but I don't see the issue with them not being in a position to offer further details at this point. I was under the impression that it would be outsourced anyway, so until the new company takes over, i'm not sure what can be done other than OAFC passing on the details to them of interesting parties. It's better to ensure that services can be delivered as promised in the long term, than getting a bad name for mucking things up from the outset. Though granted, they perhaps could spin and deal with such situations more positively.

The club perhaps should have replied sooner but I don't see the issue with them not being in a position to offer further details at this point. I was under the impression that it would be outsourced anyway, so until the new company takes over, i'm not sure what can be done other than OAFC passing on the details to them of interesting parties. It's better to ensure that services can be delivered as promised in the long term, than getting a bad name for mucking things up from the outset. Though granted, they perhaps could spin and deal with such situations more positively.

Yes they don't have the full details but wit the figures mentioned surely they should be building up relationships here. Even if they outsource having a list and relationship with potential customers should help with this process.

I own a AV equipment company and work on conference and events on the technical side and would be interested to know what conference facilities the new stand has to offer. With BP positioned between Mcr and Yorkshire it would make a good venue for companies with offices either side of the Pennines to meet. Looking at the structure of the new stand in particular the positioning of the steel pillars there doesn't seem to be a large event room for say a 200 plus people conference like there is at the Salford AJ Bell and The Point at Lancs cricket club. I only live 2 mins away from BP and it would be ideal for me to do events there!

I own a AV equipment company and work on conference and events on the technical side and would be interested to know what conference facilities the new stand has to offer. With BP positioned between Mcr and Yorkshire it would make a good venue for companies with offices either side of the Pennines to meet. Looking at the structure of the new stand in particular the positioning of the steel pillars there doesn't seem to be a large event room for say a 200 plus people conference like there is at the Salford AJ Bell and The Point at Lancs cricket club. I only live 2 mins away from BP and it would be ideal for me to do events there!

All boxes have been bought already and there is news there will NOT be a supporters bar and instead this will be another box. More money for the club to be made for selling it as a box

Supports bar is ground floor and at the back of the stand.

So unless someone wants a box with a view of the Car Park...

Yes they don't have the full details but wit the figures mentioned surely they should be building up relationships here. Even if they outsource having a list and relationship with potential customers should help with this process.

Agree completley.

How on earth will the supporters bar be turned into a box? Its ground floor behind the concourse area of the right hand pitch facing side. Unless its turned into an executive suite or something

It could be a suite and during the game people could take their seats in the stand it happens at both city and united.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I dont see how a supporters bar wouldnt generate revenue? Alcohol, pub like snacks, skysports on the telli, a good pre-match build up and thats on match day

Non match day: general bar locals could go in? International games on the screen? Id be very very suprised if theres no supporters bar.

I had a look at the plans, the supporters bar on the ground floor is only accessible from outside.

It looks like the conferencing, which is much bigger than the supporters bar, will serve the boxes (1st floor) and 'could' also provide executive bar facilities to non-box corporate clients who sit in a normal seat in the stand.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Im more surprised at the fact we've sold all the boxes when we couldn't fill the two cabins we had previously.

Do you not think the boxes are in a shiny and new modern stand whereas previously it was well, a portacabin?

That's what I meant an executive room

Thats pretty concerning, as I alluded to in the other topic I'm seriously questioning the matchday facilities for the normal ticket holders...I just wonder if they have room to put another food kiosk in outside the stand.