Grounds signs for Brum

Oh well.

If there isn't a decent replacement out there at the right price I hope he gives Mellor a run of games rather then settle for the least worse available signing.

LJ says that he hopes to replace Grounds with a quality full back in the near future. Sorry, Harry, but Mellor just isn't good enough for me and I'll be surprised if he is more than a back up. I'd rather have Joe Jacobson back TBH, if only for his delivery into the box and free kicks.

LJ says that he hopes to replace Grounds with a quality full back in the near future. Sorry, Harry, but Mellor just isn't good enough for me and I'll be surprised if he is more than a back up. I'd rather have Joe Jacobson back TBH, if only for his delivery into the box and free kicks.

What you mean Free Kicks like this:

In all seriousness though Mellor is a midfielder who makes a capable back-up LB, there are lots of better LBs available in our price range.

Didn't realistically expect us to keep him, his passing may not be great but don't forget that he can put in a good cross and corner. Mellor is a good technical footballer but often looked such a liability at left-back, a key reason why we conceded so few goals in the last 10 games was due to Grounds replacing him at left-back.

It could go either way for him in the Championship but I think he's probably does the basics to a good enough level in order to hold his own at the 2nd tier. Good luck to him though.

Mills would be an ideal replacement, other than that though it doesn't seem like an easy position to adequately replace.

Good luck to the lad.

Offered good service as was rarely injured or suspended, and gave options for 2 positions.

But, whilst he was a good player, and i dont doubt for second that he was; i'm not a paid up member of the Grounds Love-In.

A solid signing at LB and he's replaced.

Good player; decent service in his time here; but it won't be huge operation to find an adequate replacement IMO. Oh, but for me; that is not Mellor.

Good luck to the lad.

Offered good service as was rarely injured or suspended, and gave options for 2 positions.

But, whilst he was a good player, and i dont doubt for second that he was; i'm not a paid up member of the Grounds Love-In.

A solid signing at LB and he's replaced.

Good player; decent service in his time here; but it won't be huge operation to find an adequate replacement IMO. Oh, but for me; that is not Mellor.

This sums up my thoughts too - solid but not spectacular player in his time here.

Yes he is replaceable but he will be very much missed and our squad will continue to be weak if it is another pre season of replace like for like. We will struggle to challenge until we add good players to the likes of Grounds to add competition rather than just replace them.

I know there is not really much we can do until we get more investment but it is still frustrating.

Yes he is replaceable but he will be very much missed and our squad will continue to be weak if it is another pre season of replace like for like. We will struggle to challenge until we add good players to the likes of Grounds to add competition rather than just replace them.

I know there is not really much we can do until we get more investment but it is still frustrating.

We will all agree with that about the investment but I think we will struggle to even replace him with like for like!

We will all agree with that about the investment but I think we will struggle to even replace him with like for like!

I'm not so sure. We may struggle to find a LB who can also slot in at CB as Grounds did, but i really don't see a struggle to replace him at LB. and we have 3 CB's at present; with i guess the option to bring in another; possibly on a season loan, to make it 4, and so there is little need to find a LB / CB. We just need a LB.

I'm not so sure. We may struggle to find a LB who can also slot in at CB as Grounds did, but i really don't see a struggle to replace him at LB. and we have 3 CB's at present; with i guess the option to bring in another; possibly on a season loan, to make it 4, and so there is little need to find a LB / CB. We just need a LB.

I am not so certain. I do see what you are saying but it is always nice to have a LB who is good in the air and can defend corners and free kicks etc with headers.

I would agree though that the first priority is that a replacement can play LB but will he be as good and as reliable, hopefuilly so and better going forward.

I am not so certain. I do see what you are saying but it is always nice to have a LB who is good in the air and can defend corners and free kicks etc with headers.

I would agree though that the first priority is that a replacement can play LB but will he be as good and as reliable, hopefuilly so and better going forward.

Yep. I don't think we need to search high & low for a "Grounds Mark 2" type player who has to fill 2 roles. It would be a nice option to have sure, but it's not a priority.

Don't get me wrong, Grounds was a steady performer and was generally a solid defender.

Hopefully LJ & the club can find a LB who can defend but also hopefully offers more going forward than Grounds was able to do. I'm actually relatively confident that he / they will do.

(And with Truelove, rather than Mellor, we do have a back-up for the odd run of games if needed from injury / suspension IMO too)