Harkins to return?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we'd be better off without him.

I only saw him in his last few games, where he was obviously wasted on the left, but he didn't look like he fitted in any position.

His goals show he's a good player, but it'd make more sense to get players who have a position and fit into a system.

I only saw him in his last few games, where he was obviously wasted on the left, but he didn't look like he fitted in any position.

His goals show he's a good player, but it'd make more sense to get players who have a position and fit into a system.

He's been a professional footballer for 11 years so should be used to fitting into systems.

He's been a professional footballer for 11 years so should be used to fitting into systems.

He didn't look like he fitted into ours. He was substituted before the hour mark every time I saw him, and the team improved.

Right player for the second half of last season, but not the right player for next season.

I totally agree especially as Philly will be the one to suffer if we have to fit Harkins in the line up, but maybe he is so cheap?

I saw a good few games last season when he carried our only attacking threat and his second half performance out on the left v Peterborough was amongst the finest I've seen on grass.

You're thinking of Baxter

I saw a good few games last season when he carried our only attacking threat and his second half performance out on the left v Peterborough was amongst the finest I've seen on grass.

And imagine how good he'd have looked if you hadn't been on grass!

I think Harkins can play the creative midfield role that we have been lacking in recent years.

Maybe that's why he has let Weso go so he can fit him in alongside Smith ????

I like the idea of Harkins in the middle for creativity, but we'd definitely have to keep using the 4-5-1 route with Smith plus A.N other sweeping up, as we would be horrifically overrun in the middle of the park with him in a pairing. If LJ didn't fancy Baxter in there with his work rate (or lack of), I can't see him wanting to risk Harkins there.

He's definitely intelligent enough to play right the way accross the attacking positions as long as we have a system to allow it, so depends how rigid/flexible we'll be tactically next year and if he's deemed consistent enough to build a team round. Should he sign, of course.

Would love it if we could sign him - if only to guess the number of games before someone on here accuses him of being awful since he signed his permenant deal, a la every loan signing in the last decade.

I like the idea of Harkins in the middle for creativity, but we'd definitely have to keep using the 4-5-1 route with Smith plus A.N other sweeping up, as we would be horrifically overrun in the middle of the park with him in a pairing. If LJ didn't fancy Baxter in there with his work rate (or lack of), I can't see him wanting to risk Harkins there.

The A N Other would preferably be left footed to cover that side of the defensive area.

So we will, as you quite rightly say, have to set up 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 more specifically.

It does not fill me with total optimism to know that if we sign Harkins we will set up something like

Chubs

Back 4 as we all know

Korey + ANOTHER

Dayton/Worrall Sir Gary + Philly ????

JCH Not going to set the division on fire unless AN Other is a big big signing Not much pace in that team?

Edited by ChaddySmoker

Harkins won't charge around the pitch and chase lost balls like a number of fans favourites but he's a matchwinner, we'd have probably gone down without him. A perfect example being the Bradford game, he didn't see a great deal of the ball out on the left but he played that pass to JCH for the 2nd goal just before half time and he helped keep posession towards the end.

I totally agree especially as Philly will be the one to suffer if we have to fit Harkins in the line up, but maybe he is so cheap?

I worry that Philliskirk is thought of as one of the staple points of the team.

If Danny Philliskirk is our best player this season, then I think we'll find ourselves in the bottom 4.